Coffee Sensitivity Symptoms

I have been a heavy coffee drinker for many years. I used to have tons of cream and sugar, but for the last year I have been drinking my coffee black with just a packet of stevia. I didn't mind switching to black coffee for 30 days but I have noticed lately that if I drink more than half a cup, it feels like my stomach is full of acid! I thought maybe I needed a better quality coffee, but after some research it looks like coffee isn't actually all that acidic but it causes our stomachs to produce gastric acid, which is what I am probably feeling.

I don't mind giving up the coffee, but the last few times I tried doing that I ended up with crippling caffeine headaches. I mean to the point where I am experiencing poor vision, light and sound sensitivity, and other severe withdrawal symptoms. My question is: what can I use to help me get away from coffee without experiencing the severe debilitating symptoms? I tried drinking teas but every time I go more than 24 hours without actual coffee, the headaches start.

Morgan

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, MorganLeigh said:

I have been a heavy coffee drinker for many years. I used to have tons of cream and sugar, but for the last year I have been drinking my coffee black with just a packet of stevia. I didn't mind switching to black coffee for 30 days but I have noticed lately that if I drink more than half a cup, it feels like my stomach is full of acid! I thought maybe I needed a better quality coffee, but after some research it looks like coffee isn't actually all that acidic but it causes our stomachs to produce gastric acid, which is what I am probably feeling.

I don't mind giving up the coffee, but the last few times I tried doing that I ended up with crippling caffeine headaches. I mean to the point where I am experiencing poor vision, light and sound sensitivity, and other severe withdrawal symptoms. My question is: what can I use to help me get away from coffee without experiencing the severe debilitating symptoms? I tried drinking teas but every time I go more than 24 hours without actual coffee, the headaches start.

Morgan

Withdrawl headaches can be the worst... if you have been a heavy consumer of coffee as you say, then it's going to take some time... my suggestion would be to start mixing regular coffee with decaf until you're totally on decaf.  I think if you google how to wean off a heavy coffee addiction, you should get some tips on what the ratios should be to help prevent or minimize the headaches.

I've done the switch from coffee to tea, but to make it successful you need to be drinking the same amount of caffeine in tea as you would coffee. Sometimes, that means drinking an absurd amount of tea, but it helps to reduce the headaches. Google the amount of caffeine the in the coffee you're drinking as well as whatever tea you'll be switching to.

Also, try New Barn unsweetened almond milk or Nutpods in your coffee! Both are compliant :) 

I myself have had digestion problems for many years and had to give up coffee completely because of the acidic levels that most coffee's contain. It would upset my stomach to the point of throwing up horribly, ( sorry for the TMI), I however in the past few years have discovered several low acidic coffee brands that have helped me regain my love for coffee. Folgers makes a great tasting coffee called Simply Smooth and is readily available at most grocers, I purchase mind at either Wal-Mart or Publix. You can also do a google search for other brands including BuzzBox Coffee which offer one of the best tasting and even lower acidic types that the coffee beans are grown under shade trees which according to experts drops the acid level of the coffee beans. Hope this helps.

Archived