No Tiger Blood....Ever?

Is it possible to never feel the tiger blood? My husband and I have done really well so far with the program. We’re on day 27 now, and we’re looking better, pants are looser, and we know good things are happening. Unfortunately we’re really disappointed that our energy level is still low. There is no tiger blood. I have had period issues so at first I thought I was tired because of that, but my husband also doesn’t have much more energy. We’re really disappointed, because we need to be feeling more energy...

• Moderators

Energy, while being helped by eating good and nutritious food and removing potentially inflammatory foods is not exclusively found by the Whole30... look at your sleeping habits, your exercise/outdoors habits, screen time etc... as all those play a part in energy... so for example, you could eat Whole30 perfectly but if you're only sleeping 3 hours a night in a brightly lit room, you're not going to be highly energetic.

If you would like more directed help, you can give us a rundown on what you've been eating including portion sizes, specific veggies, fruit, fats and protein (meal by meal and then day by day for a couple days).  Also, what are your sleep habits and exercise/outdoor habits like?  Lots of screen time?  Stressful jobs/family life?

Sleep has been going well. Both of us have been sleeping hard! And we get between 6-8 hours. As far as exercise, neither of us have been doing a lot besides going for walks. We do watch some tv in the evening, about an hour or two. My husband has a desk job, I work retail so I’m on my feet most of the day. We’re in our early 30s and not overweight. 

Daily I make us between 2-3 eggs each. With salsa and avocado. Sometimes some sausage or bacon with it. We eat this most days for breakfast.

Lunch is generally a portion or meat (mostly beef) with a roasted veggie (broccoli and squash) and a salad. The salad has tomatoes, avocado, onions, cucumbers, salt and pepper with olive oil. 

Dinner is a portion of meat or fish. With a baked potato and roasted or stir fry veggie. (Broccoli, butter nut squash, or  cauliflower rice). We do use coconut aminos from time to time and ghee. 

Snacks are a grapefruit, and mixed nuts (no peanuts) and some good dried fruit. 

At night we drink a lot of herbal teas and the last couple of days we’ve been so thirsty! We drink between 60oz-90oz of water a day.

At first I think my husband wasn’t eating enough. He’s 6’5 and I had to encourage him to eat more. He is doing better now and eats until he’s full. He loves snacking, so now that he’s eating more at meals, he’s not really snacking anymore. All my cravings went away fast, but he says he’s still kind of stuggleing.  

Please help with any suggestions you have. We are feeling a bit better, but even when I wake up now, my body kind of feel sore and achy. 

Other fruits we eat a lot of are; bananas, cuties (those small tangerines),  lemons and limes (in cooking and in our water) blueberries, raspberries, and black berries. We use a lot of onions and garlic in our cooking. We eat grapefruit almost everyday. And most of the fish we eat is fresh caught salmon. And most of our meat is beef. We use a lot of olive oil and eggs and salads. 

• Moderators

Have you tried increasing what you're eating?  First, if your husband is 6'5 and you're not, then probably your palm sizes and thumb sizes are different so you may want to have him in the kitchen or plating up his own meal because the two of you absolutely should not be eating the same amount and usually when the smaller person cooks/plates, the larger person eats what the smaller person eats and that leaves a gap.  For instance, eggs when they are the sole source of protein in a meal are as many as the person can hold in their hand without dropping... my guess is your 6'5 hubby can hold more than 2 or 3.

Second, fruit is recommended to be 0-2 fist sized servings a day with meals, not on it's own and you list a LOT of fruit so not sure where that's all being worked into your meals.

If you're snacking between meals because you're hungry, then you're not eating enough in general.  Until you get your meals lasting you 4-5 hours, eat protein and fat as 'snacks' not fruit and dried fruit and nuts.

Archived