Trader Joe's and Eating Out

MPGT

Hi, I am a newcomer to trying Whole30 and keep worrying I will mess up by accident.  My first question is Trader Joe's Organic Chicken Stock: organic chicken broth (water, organic free range chicken, organic rosemary extract for freshness, organic celery, organic carrots), chicken flavor, (chicken stock, chicken flavor, salt) organic expelled pressed canola oil and/or organic safflower oil.  Seemed ok??? I also saw somewhere their grassfed frozen burgers are ok??

Lastly, I am stressed about ever eating out.  I know salads are recommended but how to know for sure something isn't cooked with a non approved ingredient or on something where butter/dairy etc was? I dont want to feel I can't ever go out.  Thanks for any suggestions!

• Moderators

That stock looks okay -- canola oil isn't ideal, but okay occasionally. (See the Can I Have list for more on that.)

Burger patties (grassfed is not a requirement) are fine as long as they don't have anything added to them that is noncompliant. 

There are tips on dining out here:  https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-dining.pdf  You have to ask about what oils they use, or specify what you want them to use, for instance, you could ask for a steak, dry grilled, seasoned with salt and pepper, no butter or sauce. Many restaurants have websites, start there, look at the menu, look at any nutrition or allergen info they provide, and pick a few things that seem like possibilities, and either ask once you're at the restaurant, or call ahead of time, during a non-busy time, and talk to them about what you need. If you sometimes decide to go out with friends at the last minute or without planning it much in advance, be prepared with some restaurant possibilities that you've looked at and feel like you can reasonably expect to find something that will work for you. If you have no choice in the restaurant for a particular event, eat before you go and just order a side salad or something while you're there. 

Archived