Pork broth

Jtandi

Got some bones today at the farmers market but it seems most broth recipes are chicken or beef...do I add apple cider vinegar like beef broth? Here's what I put in the crockpot: 1 1/4 lbs pork bones, 1/2 Asian pear, ginger, carrots, onions, celery, & garlic...sound ok?

I make a broth every week that is usually a mix of pork bones (neck bones) and beef marrow bones (ox tail, shanks and others). I add carrots, celery, onions, garlic, 2 tbsps raw acv, 10 peppercorns and 1 tsp sea salt. I make a similar chicken one with carcasses and chicken feet, I just don't cook it as long as the beef/pork one. Add the vinegar to both, it is undetectable in the finished product and it helps draw the goodness out of the bones....Mmmm boney goodness.

I am interested to see how the addition of ginger and the asian pear will make it taste, keep us updated!

I'm still on the learning curve with the seasoning...I should've at least doubled the pear and the ginger. I'm always a little weary with ginger since I over-gingified a soup once. the broth is pretty bland so next time I will be adding more spices as well as more pear (or apple?) and ginger.

Archived