Day 14, couple of issues that need contradicting approach, what to do?

Helen_

So I'm on day 15 and not at all impatience of certain outcome (where are you tiger blood?) but I do struggle a bit with some issues that I think need an approach that doesn't work for me either. Here they are:

1. My stool is still loose.

What I find if this happens is you should eat more starchy fibers like (sweet)potatoes and tubers. Problem is, I steer away from those cause of sugar issues. I feel better when I do not eat them. If I do it takes up all my strength and thus there is no willpower left for any other situations that needs some willpower. Also, I kinda do not like them anyways, and one rule is this should be making me happy and eating nice healthful things I like is better that yucky things I don't like. Right? (all my plates are almost always compliant to the whole30 ratio's and I try to mix up and eat a good variety of veggies daily). 

Question: Are there any other things I could do to firm up my stool?

2. I think I have an intolerance for avocado's, but they are the best thing yet to add to my morning plate to help me be energized and fill me up until plate number two around lunchtime comes along. 

Why I think I am intolerant is the fact that my skin hasn't cleared up, I actually think the previous problem is also linked to eating an avocado almost daily (not all days I do try other things like adding more ghee or oil to my plate instead of the avocado (no luck there yet :/ ) Breakfast usually is three baked eggs, baked veggies and an avocado (sometimes little tomatoes, a cup of broth or carrot slices aswel) 

Question: What can I do besides adding ghee or oil to my plate to keep me satisfied in the morning until lunchtime?

3. I feel almost stoned every morning the last couple of days. I do feel that my brain is less foggy, but still I feel that I am still doing something that is keeping me away from that freeing energy you get from going through a whole30. 

I have no idea where to look other than eat more tubers and such, but as stated in the first issue, I do not want to. Also yesterday evening I tried it. I ate sweet potato mash with sauerkraut and almost instantly felt so so nauseated I am hesitant to try it again.  And last Thursday I made a slowcooker meal with sweet potato but it tasted so awful to me I only ate one peace of sweet potato so don't think that could really tell me anything of how I would react to more starchy tubers and potatoes other than I really do not enjoy them. 

Question: Any suggestions that can help me locate the reason of why I feel so stoned? 

• Moderators

What about carrots, beets, winter squash (acorn, butternut, pumpkin), turnips etc... those are all starchy carbs and they're not potato.

As far as fats, you can have mayo, mayo based sauces (ranch, salad dressings), olives, sesame oil, pesto, sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil... you don't have to eat avocado... what about trying a nice serving of roasted beets and brussels sprouts (I find they go together nicely) with a nice dollop of ghee for your fat?

I honestly don't know the stoned thing... I mean, I do know for me when I eat wheat that I get so 'stoned' and my MDD kicks in in such a major way that it's almost debilitating but you're not eating that... 

Are you drinking 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight and salting your food to taste?  Do you sleep in a dark cool room with no disturbance?  Your sleep might not be because of food, it could be from another issue... take a look at google for 'good sleep hygiene' and see if anything there stands out.

@SugarcubeOD thank you. I haven't thought of the sun dried tomatoes in oil, I think that is a good suggestion. (Not big on the olives either and have tried that but learned I mostly just eat around them after two bites). Mayo is an option, but I would have to make it myself if I eat it in the amounts necessary to sub the avocado because the one (semi compliant) mayo I can buy here is one that is made with sunflower oil so I try to limit using it. (one of) the book(s) says sunflower oil is okay because it is in almost everything, just to try and keep it to a minimum such as eating out and not stressing over it. Making it myself means buying very expensive MCT oil, because all the olive oil and other oils have such a distinct taste I end up with mayo I don't eat because, well.. grose. (Man, never realized I am such a picky eater! :( ) 

I have tried different squashes, also not really my thing, but maybe I should try to incorporate more of that in my diners (turnips is same as the potato.. again I am such a child, yuck). I say diners because I know I can't have any starchy sugary foods in the morning or even for lunch without having cravings all day long. So I have learned to leave that for dinner. Though I do eat carrots daily, they are my go to snack with some broth or sugar free bacon or ham. 

I actually think maybe the stoned thing comes from sleeping those long hours? This morning I just woke up after a very short night of only 4 hours and I don't feel the groggy stonednes. (though now I just felt very depressed and emotional). But I'll just keep tracking to see if maybe it is just that. I have a pitch black and cool bedroom, been doing my evening routine for getting ready. Got f.lux and Twilight on my phone and dim the lights as sleeping time approaches. I drink a lot of tea (green in mornings, herbal in afternoon and evenings) during the day and every plate has some kind of salt on it. 

Today's menu:

1: Sheetpan breakfast of bacon, three eggs, red onion and brussels sprouts and an avocado if ripe enough. (Love all of this, though eggs on sheetpan not the greatest but will have to make due)
2: Sheetpan lunch of dried tomato & spinach burger and a green salad with steamed broccoli & green asparagus and an oil and vinegar dressing
3: Sheetpan diner of salmon with fennel and tomatoes doused in mustard and caper saus

(All the sheetpan meals are because we are renovating and have no kitchen, so I we have an improvised kitchen in one of the bedrooms. I have a machine for steaming our food/meals, an oven, a microwave and a multi cooker. The latter will be unavailable until Wednesday because I am slowcooking some bones for broth).

• Moderators

Sometimes you just need to keep trying foods you 'don't like' until you find a way to eat them that you do like.. roasting pumpkin or squash for instance makes it carmalizey (totally a word!) and sweet where steaming it leaves it (in my opinion) tasteless mush... It's kind of the annoying thing about being an adult... I used to haaaaaate olives and brussels sprouts but they're two of my favorite things now... tastes change as you experiment and also as your tastebuds actually change from the program so keep tryiing.

Double check that ham because it's nigh on impossible to find compliant ham... it usually has sugar.  If you're eating snacks daily, it means that your meals are not big enough so you do need to increase your plate... try making mayo and then adding seasonings to it like chipotle powder or hot sauce... I use the Avocado Oil that you can buy at costco and I use Apple Cider Vinegar... my sister can't stand my mayo and makes hers with Avocado Oil and lime juice which I don't really like... there are numerous ways to make it so start experimenting and if you get a batch you don't like, season the crap out of it.

Also, why doesn't your lunch have any protein?

@SugarcubeOD But my lunch does have protein! Two homemade grassfed beef burgers loaded with spinach and dried tomatoes. ;) 

I am actually not eating that many snacks anymore, So I do believe I am on the right track, when it comes to meal sizes. I just sometimes get it wrong and that's when I make a snack. I said ham, but that's because I couldn't think of the right name for other, whatyamacall it's (I'm Dutch, living in the Netherlands, though my English is rather good I sometimes black out on certain words, this is one of them ^D^ ) so I actually don't mean ham but more the beef variety and I buy those online from two suppliers that have grassfed beef (and pasture raised pigs and chickens).

I am discovering that roasting veggies is really very easy. I don't know why I struggled with it in the past. Guess now that I don't have much of a choice it somehow magically works. So I think I will try to roast some butternut pumpkin or such next week (meal plan is already made, bought and prepped for this week). 

I was thinking maybe avocado oil isn't the best option for me, because of my suspicion of maybe having a bit of an intolerance to them. Hence the not making mayo with it. Next week a new month starts (aka payday is there) so I can buy myself some mct oil and make my own mayo again and will leave the avocado' out of my meals and see how it goes. Oh and yes! Chipotle for the win! I love chipotle it helped me through the first two weeks. I put it on everything. Haha, now I notice I don't need it that much anymore and everything is starting to taste better or good again. But I will keep that trick on hand, might I find something isn't tasting that good to me (like homemade mayo). 

Thank you! 

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Helen_ said:

@SugarcubeOD But my lunch does have protein! Two homemade grassfed beef burgers loaded with spinach and dried tomatoes. ;) 

I am actually not eating that many snacks anymore, So I do believe I am on the right track, when it comes to meal sizes. I just sometimes get it wrong and that's when I make a snack. I said ham, but that's because I couldn't think of the right name for other, whatyamacall it's (I'm Dutch, living in the Netherlands, though my English is rather good I sometimes black out on certain words, this is one of them ^D^ ) so I actually don't mean ham but more the beef variety and I buy those online from two suppliers that have grassfed beef (and pasture raised pigs and chickens).

I am discovering that roasting veggies is really very easy. I don't know why I struggled with it in the past. Guess now that I don't have much of a choice it somehow magically works. So I think I will try to roast some butternut pumpkin or such next week (meal plan is already made, bought and prepped for this week). 

I was thinking maybe avocado oil isn't the best option for me, because of my suspicion of maybe having a bit of an intolerance to them. Hence the not making mayo with it. Next week a new month starts (aka payday is there) so I can buy myself some mct oil and make my own mayo again and will leave the avocado' out of my meals and see how it goes. Oh and yes! Chipotle for the win! I love chipotle it helped me through the first two weeks. I put it on everything. Haha, now I notice I don't need it that much anymore and everything is starting to taste better or good again. But I will keep that trick on hand, might I find something isn't tasting that good to me (like homemade mayo). 

Thank you! 

Oh sorry, your description was dried tomato and spinach burgers so i thought you made a vegetarian burger of some sort... okay well ignore that point then.

Good on the ham, as long as you've checked that it's approved with no sneaky sugars.

I think you're on the right track... sometimes our bodies take some time to adjust so keep trying those different fats and starches and I think your sleep should even out too... definitely check back in if you need more help or if you want to gloat about how wonderful you're feeling :)

Also, your english is amazing!  :wub:

Archived