foxforce5

Do compliant meat substitutes exist?

Are there any compliant meat substitutes? We have a split household with vegetarians and omnivores. I will be cooking traditional W30 meals, with an added (or subtracted) vegetarian spin on the recipe. Any suggestions?

First time Whole30
Home with small children-adults
Vegetarian and omnivore eaters

3 minutes ago, foxforce5 said:

Are there any compliant meat substitutes? We have a split household with vegetarians and omnivores. I will be cooking traditional W30 meals, with an added (or subtracted) vegetarian spin on the recipe. Any suggestions?

First time Whole30
Home with small children-adults
Vegetarian and omnivore eaters

Do you mean like a packaged or processed item?  I have never looked but I wouldn't think so because the usual substitutes are grains or soy and those are not approved.  I'm sorry, I don't understand what the last three sentances mean so I can't help you there.

The last three things are not sentences, rather just more information if it is needed.
I just mean in general. Yes, usually meat sub are processed, so I know those would not be a good choice. But anything, nearly every recipe is for meat-Im wondering what I could use instead of. I read that beans, legumes etc are not allowed, and this is typically what one would eat other than meat. 

Just now, foxforce5 said:

The last three things are not sentences, rather just more information if it is needed.
I just mean in general. Yes, usually meat sub are processed, so I know those would not be a good choice. But anything, nearly every recipe is for meat-Im wondering what I could use instead of. I read that beans, legumes etc are not allowed, and this is typically what one would eat other than meat. 

If you're looking at doing a vegetarian version of Whole30, then you can google 'can I do whole30 as a vegetarian' and an article by Melissa comes up.  Have a read through that and see what you think.

I did read that before, and again now. It didnt really help me. I dont know what a "reset" is. I think this is why I am having such a hard time starting this approach. I have been searching and scrolling for hours and hours, days and days on end, with no real help or conclusion. I have the audio book, printed off all the resources, and am no closer to starting this plan than I was a year ago. Thank you for help.

1 minute ago, foxforce5 said:

I did read that before, and again now. It didnt really help me. I dont know what a "reset" is. I think this is why I am having such a hard time starting this approach. I have been searching and scrolling for hours and hours, days and days on end, with no real help or conclusion. I have the audio book, printed off all the resources, and am no closer to starting this plan than I was a year ago. Thank you for help.

The Whole30 IS the reset... it's an elimination protocol meant to remove the most common highly inflammatory foods from your system for 30 days, thereby letting your gut heal and then you systematically reintroduce those foods back and see how they affect you.  It's why for a vegetarian that doesn't want to do it with just eggs and fish (pescatarian) than it's not a full Whole30 because if you choose to eat substitutes like grains or soy, then you're not really removing all the inflammatory foods which means your reintroduction results may not be as accurate as the program as written.  It's your choice tho if you want to try doing the program with just eggs (we've had people do this) or eggs and fish if you eat fish.  If you choose to add some items in, that article has some info on which ones are more and less problematic and then you just make your decision as to what to do, pick a date and get started.

I do not want to eat anything that is not allowed on the actual program. Rather, I would like to find things that are compliant, but not meat for recipes that call for meat. I want the full and total results. I wont eat soy, tofu, rice, etc.

33 minutes ago, foxforce5 said:

I do not want to eat anything that is not allowed on the actual program. Rather, I would like to find things that are compliant, but not meat for recipes that call for meat. I want the full and total results. I wont eat soy, tofu, rice, etc.

Okay then your protein options are eggs and fish/shellfish (you've not said if you eat fish/shellfish)... there are no compliant meat substitutes outside of these two items.

I'll add that if you are making something like chili, you can use mushrooms and lots of vegetables and make a vegan chili (obviously without beans). Meat-eaters could add ground meat to theirs while yours would still feel "meaty" from the mushrooms and other finely diced vegetables. You could have eggs (maybe scrambled with some cajun seasoning and topped with avocado) on the side for your protein. You don't have to substitute the meat in a recipe with protein as long as you still add a protein source to your meal. 

Having done Whole30 twice as a pescatarian (leaving me eggs and fish), I'm proof that it is 100% doable! Yes you will get tired of the same old sea food, so I had to take extra measure to mix it up, which was easy to do with the whole30 cookbooks. I also learned through trial and error, especially when working out, that I required more potatoes and spinach than my fellow carnivores also doing whole30. If you are trying to do it without eating seafood I would suggest substituting a lot of eggs, potatoes and spinach, or similar leafy greens. It won't be exactly whole30 as you won't have any lean protein, but it'll get you through. Good luck!