Tuna with vegetable broth - start over?

RunnerMom

I am on day 14. I’ve been sticking to the program 100% and enjoying the foods I’ve been eating. But today, I looked closer at the tuna label and I’m freaking out. The ingredients list “vegetable broth” and all compliant ingredients. But then under the allergen statement is lists soy. I’ve been eating these cans a couple times a week.

Do I need to start over? If that’s the case, I am just going to stop this program. The fact that it has been so hard to find compliant foods to cook at home, eat out (I have to for my job), and find compliant foods for traveling (which I do often for my job too)... which I have been doing 100% despite the challenges. But now I accidentally ingested a food that didn’t have a non compliant ingredient...but isn’t allowed? Help!

What should I do?

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, RunnerMom said:

I am on day 14. I’ve been sticking to the program 100% and enjoying the foods I’ve been eating. But today, I looked closer at the tuna label and I’m freaking out. The ingredients list “vegetable broth” and all compliant ingredients. But then under the allergen statement is lists soy. I’ve been eating these cans a couple times a week.

Do I need to start over? If that’s the case, I am just going to stop this program. The fact that it has been so hard to find compliant foods to cook at home, eat out (I have to for my job), and find compliant foods for traveling (which I do often for my job too)... which I have been doing 100% despite the challenges. But now I accidentally ingested a food that didn’t have a non compliant ingredient...but isn’t allowed? Help!

What should I do?

Okay just wait... the ingredient list is fine but the allergen statement says 'might contain soy'?  Can you take a picture or write out exactly what it says or find a picture online that looks like yours?  Because if it's just a 'may contain soy, tree nuts and dairy' statement then it's fine... if the soy is in the ingredient list: tuna, vegetable broth (carrots, veggies, soy) then its out... its a big difference because one says soy is in it and one is a legal disclaimer for cross contamination.

I looked on starkist’s website and it says their vegetable broth contains soybeans. Ugh!

so here’s my question: can I just continue for 15 more days...then start the reintroduction process, but wait to introduce legumes and soy after 30 more days from today? 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RunnerMom said:

Here’s a picture of the label. 

2AE18A80-8C34-439D-A97F-D44A94E60632.jpeg

Oh man, that's some shady labelling right there!  I'm so sorry that happened to you!  Unfortunately, unlike if it was sugar, soy is a huge gut disruptor and it can really cause havoc on your gut.  The thing about just waiting to reintroduce soy is that if it's a disruptor for you, the rest of your results are going to be skewed.  Think of it this way... soy causes a big nasty scratch on your gut that's going to take about a month to heal... when you do reintros in 15 days, every inflammatory food you put in there is going to come in contact with that unhealed scratch and your results won't be accurate.

10 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Oh man, that's some shady labelling right there!  I'm so sorry that happened to you!  Unfortunately, unlike if it was sugar, soy is a huge gut disruptor and it can really cause havoc on your gut.  The thing about just waiting to reintroduce soy is that if it's a disruptor for you, the rest of your results are going to be skewed.  Think of it this way... soy causes a big nasty scratch on your gut that's going to take about a month to heal... when you do reintros in 15 days, every inflammatory food you put in there is going to come in contact with that unhealed scratch and your results won't be accurate.

Thanks for the response. I can understand the reasoning and science behind the need to start over due to soy ingestion. 

I am just so mad and deflated as I was doing SO good and was SO proud of myself for following it 100% (so I thought). But I picked Jan 1st to start for a reason as I have too many events and travels coming up in February to start over now. 

As the book states, the program isn’t hard. But ensuring you are compliant 100% of the time due to shady labeling just shows the difficulty of following this program in the real world. In theory, it’s great. 

Thanka again for the support and feedback!

This is disgusting. Seriously, this is the extent to which foods are hidden?? It’s appalling that we can’t buy a can of tuna and actually expect to have just tuna in the can. I fell so badly for you, Runnermom. I really do. I hate to see you quit over such deception. I understand the rules and all, I just hate to see you quit when you’ve been working so hard. My vote is you stick around, keep going and finish the 30 days. It won’t be a perfect reset, but you’ve discovered something very valuable for your long term health, and in my book that’s very important too. 

Sorry moderators, I acknowledge my statement goes against the rules of the Whole30. I simply find this type of thing very upsetting when we are all trying so hard to be compliant, and I hate to see Runnermom give up due to something like this. With much Aloha for your hard work, MimiHI.

I must be the dissenting opinion here because that soy is clearly labeled. The mods are always saying to check every package every time, even if you bought the exact same thing yesterday and it was compliant yesterday. You couldn't look at that ingredients list and not see the soy. 

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, laura_juggles said:

I must be the dissenting opinion here because that soy is clearly labeled. The mods are always saying to check every package every time, even if you bought the exact same thing yesterday and it was compliant yesterday. You couldn't look at that ingredients list and not see the soy. 

I agree, that soy wasn't hidden at all. Food manufacturers are brutal in many cases but in this case the labelling and transparency is excellent.

I see where you're coming from @MimiHi, about the restart and not quitting. But it really depends on what the person needed to get out of it. If they really needed to heal their gut for health reasons, bippity-bopping right along despite the incident isn't going to help them. Sometimes just owning up to it, being disappointed and taking responsibility is more empowering than you think.

4 minutes ago, laura_juggles said:

You're not because I thought the same thing. My tuna reads: tuna, water, sea salt. 

Here's my view on RunnerMom continuing on, and I say this knowing full well it's against the rules of the Whole30. Yes, we all can agree she screwed up by consuming soy in her tuna, however by quitting now, RunnerMom misses out on the opportunity to discover other issues she may have with food. My point is not about the soy exposure, which I agree impacts her body's reset, my point is that there is also the emotional-connection-to-food component we are to address during these 30days, and that's what she will miss out on.

Isn't part of the goal of a Whole30 to examine our relationship with food? 

• Moderators

The reason I think the packaging is shady is because the vegetable broth is obviously where the soy is... in a transparent label, it would be listed as vegetable broth (mushrooms, carrots, celery, onions, soy).  It also means that for people who are not good with things like onions or mushrooms or whatever else 'vegetable' might be in the broth, they'll never know.  I find that shady.

Also, who expects their tuna to have soy?!! If I buy a product titled “Tuna and vegetable broth,” I don’t feel like it’s unreasonable to assume that that’s pretty much what’s in the carton- tuna and broth. And I see no good reason to add soy to broth. Count me in the, I think it sucks- camp.

10 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

The reason I think the packaging is shady is because the vegetable broth is obviously where the soy is... in a transparent label, it would be listed as vegetable broth (mushrooms, carrots, celery, onions, soy).  It also means that for people who are not good with things like onions or mushrooms or whatever else 'vegetable' might be in the broth, they'll never know.  I find that shady.

In that case, I'd switch to a low sodium tuna which is *actually* tuna packed in water rather than tuna packed in vegetable broth and *labeled* as being packed in water. There's a lot of "why does this broth have soy" when I'm wondering "why is something labeled as packed in water actually packed in broth". With the logic that broth is water-based, you could label tuna packed in coffee as "tuna packed in water". 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, laura_juggles said:

In that case, I'd switch to a low sodium tuna which is *actually* tuna packed in water rather than tuna packed in vegetable broth and *labeled* as being packed in water. There's a lot of "why does this broth have soy" when I'm wondering "why is something labeled as packed in water actually packed in broth". With the logic that broth is water-based, you could label tuna packed in coffee as "tuna packed in water". 

I think this is very much an American issue because in Canada, I don't think I've ever even seen Tuna packed in broth... it's packed in water or sometimes the imported ones like Rio Mare are packed in olive oil... I'd actually never heard of this issue until becoming involved in the forums.

I'm sorry this happened... it really stinks.  I wouldn't necessarily give up if I were you, I would keep going and just be aware that my results would be a little skewed.

For what it;s worth.... I have come across this on every Whole30.  All of the name brand canned Tuna has a very similar label that says (after the ingredients) Contains: Tuna, Soy.  It's frustrating.  I cried in the middle of the store during my first Whole30 because I read literally every can of tuna and couldn't find a compliant one.  Kirkland brand was compliant (at least it was 2 years ago when I did my last Whole30.  I'm on day 8 now and am just staying away from canned tuna all together.  

3 minutes ago, slc_melissa said:

@Margaretevonne:  Do you still have the can or the same brand?  Read your actual ingredients.  Not all tuna contains soy.  And if you're only on day 3, if you did consume soy, is there any problem adding 3 days at the end?

I do still have it (in the trash lol).  I'll check it when I get home.  I don't think I'd have a problem with adding 3 more days, but, today 33 sure does sound a lot longer than 30 :P  I think I'm in the whining stage. ha

17 hours ago, laura_juggles said:

If you're in the US, look for the low- or no-sodium cans of tuna. They'll actually be packed in water. 

I'll check on that.  I went home and read the ingredients on mine.  While it did say vegetable broth no where did it say soy.  I'm supposing I'm in the clear since soy wasn't mentioned.  I will definitely look for strictly water packed from now on.  Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm new on the forum.  I am about 2/3 of the way through my first Whole 30.  I came on here to look for advice about Starkist tuna "in water" ingredients and came across this thread.  The Starkist I just bought the other day says Gluten Free and Soy Free on the label, but has that pesky, vague "vegetable broth," and I started wondering if it could have any sweetener.  It lists nothing, but do you think I can assume it is safe?

Archived