Tuna with vegetable broth - start over?

RunnerMom

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Shelly E said:

Hi, I'm new on the forum.  I am about 2/3 of the way through my first Whole 30.  I came on here to look for advice about Starkist tuna "in water" ingredients and came across this thread.  The Starkist I just bought the other day says Gluten Free and Soy Free on the label, but has that pesky, vague "vegetable broth," and I started wondering if it could have any sweetener.  It lists nothing, but do you think I can assume it is safe?

They can't add sugar to any ingredient or the product itself without declaring it.

12 minutes ago, SchrodingersCat said:

But it may well have pea or other legumes in it

It may, but sometimes you have to say that you've done the best you can. Because I can't tolerate legumes, I go for the tuna that's *actually* packed in water to be completely safe. But as long as you've done your due diligence, then it's mostly that you've tried your best. 

1 hour ago, laura_juggles said:

It may, but sometimes you have to say that you've done the best you can. Because I can't tolerate legumes, I go for the tuna that's *actually* packed in water to be completely safe. But as long as you've done your due diligence, then it's mostly that you've tried your best. 

Very true, it was more a comment on the sneakiness of listing "vegetable broth". In Australia, if an ingredient has ingredients, they have to be listed in brackets after that ingredient, so it would read something like "Vegetable broth (peas, carrots, onion, celery)" for example.

14 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Very true, it was more a comment on the sneakiness of listing "vegetable broth". In Australia, if an ingredient has ingredients, they have to be listed in brackets after that ingredient, so it would read something like "Vegetable broth (peas, carrots, onion, celery)" for example.

That would certainly make my life a lot easier! It's ridiculous that transparency in labeling is such an unbelievable concept in the US. 

My reintro (so far) has taught me that legumes are not my friends... like, at all... so I'd personally be skipping anything that says "vegetable broth" and doesn't tell me what veggies were in the mix. I completely understand the view of doing all you can and going with what you're able to see, but peas in my veggie broth would be kind of like having one cute little RED baby sock in a huge load of whites -- it's small, but it's going to make an impact if I don't catch it.

Reading labels is important, and if a label has a vague ingredient that I can't be certain won't hurt me, I either find a similar product that is clearly compliant or I remind myself that I can skip it and life will go on (and with less abdominal discomfort, at that).

Archived