kombucha question

Kirsteen

Ok,I know I'm probably getting a tad paranoid here but this forum introduced me to kombucha so it's not really my fault :). I now love the stuff and have a small glass or two every day. The thing is I only started making my own after I finished my last W30. I'm planning on starting again tomorrow. How do I know all the sugar has been used up? I mean it doesn't start cravings or anything. It does taste a bit sweet but, frankly, so do carrots and turnip now. I just want to be sure it's still ok to have it.

Ooohh...Kirsteen, Robin mentioned some sciency strips you can use. Maybe they were ph strips? I have no idea how exactly you would use them. I only know enough to be dangerous. :)

Sciency strips....LOVE IT!

I wondered about the sugar too as a sugar addict but I will happily report no awakening of the sugar beast with my daily 3oz of the store bought GT berry 'booch. I can't wait to start making my own and I recall seeing the sciency pH strips in the natural foods aisle of my big box grocery store but that store is pretty progress and carried a lot of stuff.

I'm no expert but I don't think you don't want ALL the sugar gone or else you have vinegar. The SCOBY eats most of it leaving a small fraction in the finished product.

Now you have me all excited to start my own 'boochy adventure...I can just hear the husbie now "What is this *thing* growing in the cupboard?"

The pH strips were mentioned in another post, but I think someone said it doesn't necessarily indicate if the sugar is gone. Generally, the longer you let it sit, the less sugar it will have. This will depend on temperatures- ie. in the summer I let my kombucha sit for just 2 weeks, but now that it's colder, it takes about 4 to get to the taste I like. I learned by mistake that 5 weeks is too long :blink: Too long=vinegar! The amount of sugar, assuming you let it sit longer than a couple weeks, is very minimal and I have a glass (12-16oz) every day and it doesn't cause me to slip. For reference, I brew a gallon at a time, use 8 tea bags, a cup of sugar, and about 1-2cups of kombucha from the last batch.

Honestly Kirsteen, and Mjam, I wouldn't over think it. Especially if you're not double fermenting with juice or fruit. If it doesn't awaken the beast, and your SCOBY is growing steady, you're fine. As an exercise, I'd taste it every day. Then you will be able to TELL when the sugar content drops and it helps give you a bit more perspective. As a reference: since my monster is now HUGE and I do a continuous brew, my gallon container ferments in about 5 days to reeeeeally strong. I usually pull it on day 4 and store it.

I tried my first kombucha today! I am not sure that I love it; I believe it is an acquired taste.

I figured if I was able to acquire a taste for beer, wine, coffee, and vodka, I could acquire a taste for kombucha and eventually love it too. :P

I tried the Gingerade one today and it's good but the Gingerberry is my fav so far! Mmmm 'boochie goodness. I was hooked on the first sip...I think it was bubbles. I cannot wait to start my own on Friday *squeeee* irrationally excited about bacteria!

This sounds crazy but it was the vinegar smell that got to me; the taste was fine, but I had to make sure I didn't inhale before I sipped.

If I were mid-whole30, I would highly recommend it for someone that had a cocktail party to attend. It would feel like I was having my own fancy cocktail!

I am looking forward to trying more flavors. I ran to the more "suburban" grocery store and they only had one flavor. My co-op has lots and I will pick more up Saturday!

MJam - that is how I felt when I made my own sauerkraut. Like a freaking super-hero!

COLD! Deliciously tangy, bubbly and cold! You can find them the cooler/fridge section of your health food store. My HFS carries like 4 different brand but the GT's came highly recommended and it is!

Also Perrier water even the flavoured ones are compliant if you are looking for a jazzy water, the pink grapefruit one is yummo!

Archived