Starting January 21, 2018- first timer....

RachelR

Hey y'all-

I've read the Whole30 and have decided to commit and honestly I'm terrified but excited to see what scale and non-scale victories will come with the journey.  A friend of mine recommended Whole 30 about a year ago after several Facebook posts where I complain about how tired I feel.  After reading the Whole30, not only am I interested in improving my energy but curtailing depression, feeling less bloated, and so much more (especially developing a healthier relationship with food).  

If anyone else is planning on starting on January 21st, please let me know and we can get through this together.

Rachel

I’m planning on starting Jan 22! This is my first time and am pretty nervous and excited! I can’t wait to see how different I feel from sleep to energy to depression to digestion! When I was reading the book I swear I checked off like 15 things I suffer from that could be helped! Good luck to you, we got this!! 

I'm starting Jan. 22nd, too. Just finished my book and am in progress on a menu grid for the whole 30 days.  This is my first time,  too, and I'm the only one in my house doing it. So glad to meet other people here! I'm  happy to share my menu grid when it's done if you want!

Hello! 
I am so excited for all four of you to start your Whole30!

I am a first time Whole30er, I am on day 16 today and it's amazing how great I feel! Seriously!! I have clear skin, ambition, increased energy, the best mental focus I've had, possibly ever! I am sleeping way better, I am loving myself before, after and during eating (which is also something that had become very rare), my jeans all require belts, I am far more productive at work and home, and my sugar cravings are zero, in fact I now desire things like peppers, mushroom, sweet potatoes, apples, and zucchini! 

I highly suggest the Whole30 Day-by-Day book! It is a great way to track your progress, stay motivated and feel "normal", as Melissa lets you know that you are not alone in what you are going through. I also recommend printing the handwritten notes found on the bottom of this page --> https://whole30.com/daybyday-preorder/ as they are also a great way to stay motivated and trusting the process. I have my work computer monitor framed in the notes from Melissa to keep me going everyday! If you can't get the Day-by-Day I suggest journaling how you are feeling, writing in the meals you like and the ones that you didn't so much to help you make food decisions moving forward.

If you need to cut out pop but crave the bubbles I am enjoying drinking La Croix waters...yay for compliant and bubbly!

My last suggestion is to make leftovers! I live alone and up until my whole30 hated cooking because it's hard to cook for one, but now that I need nearly all my meals to be homemade in order to control ingredients I fill my fridge with leftovers for the week. Now I spend one or two evenings cooking away and the rest of the week microwaving my meals, it's super easy and I have found that the meals all taste good as leftovers...so far!

I know you guys will make it through your Whole30 and you are going to feel better than ever! I'm excited to follow your progress!!!

Cera

Hello, I also plan to start the Whole 30 on January 21st - my first time. Nice to meet you all! I've had a couple of friends complete the challenge and loved it. I've been dealing with GI issues for the last 2 years (out of nowhere) so I'm hoping to find some answers as I haven't yet significantly tried changing my diet. I eat "healthy" as a lover of veggies....but probably too much gluten, dairy and not enough clean protein if I'm being honest with myself.

Mrs Tyrrell, would love to see your menu grid. Plan to do a bunch of shopping and prepping this weekend.

Thanks and looking forward to going through this with you,

Sandy

P.S. Thank you Cera! I ordered the book you recommended on Amazon!

Thanks for introducing yourselves!  I had a snow day from work today so I'm trying to plan out my first shopping trip to do on Friday/Saturday so I can be fully prepared.  

Cera- thanks for the tips!  A lot of my coworkers enjoy LaCroix but I haven't tried them yet.  That is on my list of things to purchase.  Do you have a favorite flavor?

Tamar, Ljwilmot, and Mrs Tyrrell- I'm feeling better about the more I commit.  Originally I was going to skip the going public and just stick to this forum but I ended up posting a graphic to my Facebook cover page and some friends/family have reached out so I'm excited to have some support.  Also people at work and other friends have inquired more about it as well.  

Now... If only I had this little fella at work- I'd gladly replace him with all the snacks.  :D  Better stress relief than food any time of day!

2 minutes ago, RachelR said:

Cera- thanks for the tips!  A lot of my coworkers enjoy LaCroix but I haven't tried them yet.  That is on my list of things to purchase.  Do you have a favorite flavor?

I like the lemon, the cherry lime and the apple cranberry. I do not care for the Lime. I have a variety pack at home that I am going to sip my way through.

Just note that if you are used to drinking soda you are used to a very intense flavor so the La Croix will not taste very good at first but as you get used to not having the sugar and the intense flavor of soda and other unhealthy food/drink options the La Croix will taste better. :)

Planning to start on the 22nd as well. I have been following low carb since September so I have already weeded a lot out of my diet. I have seen huge improvements in energy levels and overall happiness (and 34 pounds gone). But I still have my headaches so it's those last few things I'm hoping to be able to zero in on. I'm VERY excited to add in white and sweet potatoes!!

Mrs Tyrell I would love to see your menu grid, im just starting my meal planning/shopping/organizing phase! 

RachelR I am a huge LaCroix fan! I love all the flavors and changing it up. I agree with cr89 that the first can or 2 you probably won’t like but then you will grow to love them. I have a Diet Coke every afternoon and am planning on having a LaCroix instead as well! I have cut out soda before with LaCroix and I think it’s a great alternative. 

As an alternative I’m also trying a cold brewed green tea with some added berries for a little sweetness. I’ve made it before and it’s pretty refreshing. 

Actually I had to have a change of plans and we aren't starting until February 1st.

We have started incorporating Whole30 into our lives and both of us have had to go another notch in our belt loops for our pants.

We are both swimming in our pants and we have only changed a few things.

:o

How did everyone’s first day go? I hope everyone is off to a great start! One day down, 29 to go!! 

My day went pretty well except I found out I don’t have a good blender for making mayo; you can’t drizzle in while it’s on, ugh. So that was fun but I figured out a way and got my homemade mayo! I thought the food tasted good and was fairly easy. Prepped all my sauces for the week. No real cravings yet, let’s see what tomorrow as in store for me. 

Good luck tomorrow! We got this! 

Going well so far here too. I totally botched the mayo but found a fix on the forum so will try to salvage.

I made a ton of roasted veggies yesterday to eat for the next few days, a chicken to shred and some roasted potatoes. Also made chicken bone broth in the Instant Pot to try to incorporate on a daily basis. Had a work lunch today so ordered a Cobb salad with grilled chicken, no cheese and o&v dressing. 

I wasn’t tired today or “hung over” feeling so happy about that. Biggest issue so far was not being able to have a mint or gum after lunch. I’ll have to start carrying around my toothbrush ;)

Today is Day 3 for me.  I'm doing pretty well.  I'm surprised that I'm not feeling awful as my eating habits before were pretty bad and I definitely was a diet soda addict.  I got a pretty intense headache yesterday but took some Advil and was ok.  So far today, I've doing alright.  I feel like instead of enjoying the day, I'm nervously anticipating when the hung over and awful feelings are going to hit.  I have been tired, but this is usual for me (hence part of the reason why I'm doing whole30).  Some coworkers thought I looked a bit peppier (but I chalk it up to that I got to leave work early today, lol).  I'm challenging myself to try new things as I have always been a picky eater (especially with vegetables).  So far this week I've learned that I do not hate roasted carrots and spaghetti squash is pretty good.  Here are the recipes I used:

https://damndelicious.net/2015/05/08/one-pan-garlic-ranch-chicken-and-veggies/ (I skipped the brown sugar on the chicken and used this homemade ranch seasoning recipe: https://www.thepinningmama.com/whole30-homemade-ranch-seasoning-mix/)

http://therealfoodrds.com/buffalo-chicken-stuffed-spaghetti-squash/ (I used Frank's hot sauce and tesserae's creamy ranch)

I see both of these recipes in my future!  

As for the La Croix... I'm not a fan yet.  I bought an 8 pack of Berry and Target had single cans of cran-raspberry so I grabbed one of those.  I'm hoping they will grow on me.  But lots of tap water is getting me through.  

No big cravings (thank goodness).  I did end up eating a carrot cake Larabar after seeing a coworker with caramel corn yesterday and in turn feeling hungry.  Also, seeing pop cans in the work fridge is a bit tough but not an issue yet.  

Speaking of being hungry- I have felt hungry between meals but feel like I'm filling my plates up.  Not sure if I need to eat more or if it's just because I think I'm actually thinking about food MORE because of the meal prep and planning (where before all I'd do is feel hungry and then go out and grab something).  Not sure???

(Sorry this turned out to be such a long post) :)

Rachel -- Congrats on Day 3! 

Seriously, the first two weeks are the hardest, in fact, yesterday I had to actually stop and think about what day I am on, whereas the first 17 days I knew from the moment I woke up. On day 23 (I had to check my calendar for the day) I am feeling great and this Whole30 thing feels more like a lifestyle than a challenge!

Being this is my first Whole30 I can't say whether or not the hunger between meals means you should eat more at your meals (I hope to some day be more of an expert on that sort of thing) but I have read through forums that this could in part be to not having enough healthy fats with each meal? I have also read that if you aren't hungry enough that you would eat fish and broccoli that you are just having a craving? However, I found, especially in my first week, that when I thought I was hungry between meals if I drank about a glass of water and focused on a non-food task that most the time what I thought was hunger was more of a craving to eat (not a craving for anything specific but just to put food in my mouth). I was a bit of a mindless eater before Whole30 so I think my brain was confused as to why I wasn't eating everything I saw...especially when I was in the break room at work! So maybe try water and a distraction to see what happens?? 

The La Croix has finally grown on me to the point that I love drinking them when I need something that isn't water! My local grocery store was selling variety packs and it was a great way to narrow down the flavors I enjoy most (coconut, mango, berry, passion fruit...so far)!

I am very proud of your accomplishments and successes thus far! Keep your head up and your smile bright! 

YOU'VE GOT THIS!!!

Cera

14 hours ago, cr89 said:

I have also read that if you aren't hungry enough that you would eat fish and broccoli that you are just having a craving? However, I found, especially in my first week, that when I thought I was hungry between meals if I drank about a glass of water and focused on a non-food task that most the time what I thought was hunger was more of a craving to eat (not a craving for anything specific but just to put food in my mouth). I was a bit of a mindless eater before Whole30 so I think my brain was confused as to why I wasn't eating everything I saw...especially when I was in the break room at work! So maybe try water and a distraction to see what happens?? 

Cera- Thanks for this insight.  I guess I thought cravings would be excessive thoughts about a particular food but maybe this is what I'm experiencing is just craving for the junk that I was used to shoveling in throughout the day.  I was a very mindless eater as well.  Distractions do help me I have noticed because the work week has been much better than I was on Sunday which was my start day.  I've definitely upped my water intake as well.  There were periods of time in my not so distant life that I could go several days without a glass of water.  Now, I'm drinking several bottles worth just at work (refill at the drinking fountain) along with at least a glass for breakfast and several with dinner.  

This is great insight! I was so used to snacking and grazing all day with my girls (I’m a stay at home mom of a 3 and 1 year old) and I never realized just how much I was eating! I used to eat just to eat during my afternoon slump too. But now that I’m aware of that a little distraction and sparkling water and im content! It’s only day 4 and I’ve learned so much about my food habits! And I’m still amazed how good the food is! 

Hi all! Day 10 - how is everyone feeling?

I felt fairly bloated over the weekend but starting to feel better now. I've been taking some digestive enzymes which may be helping (although I've been taking them from the beginning). I think I'll be trying to eat low FODMAP during the last 2 weeks (starting after this coming weekend) to help further investigate some of my GI issues. It seemed like an impossibly daunting task before starting the Whole30 but now actually seems doable. Is anyone else feeling bloated?

I made this chicken curry over the weekend that is outrageous (I used shrimp and just added the shrimp in the last 3-5 minutes of simmering) - https://www.fitmittenkitchen.com/1-pot-thai-coconut-chicken-curry-paleo/ . For fish sauce, i used a combination of anchovy paste and coconut aminos.

The last two morning breakfasts have been simple but delicious so figured I'd share. I had some leftover roasted butternut squash and parsnips. Added two hard boiled eggs and half an avocado and just ate it cold with some salt and pepper. Living off a lot of squash (butternut and spaghetti) because easy to prepare, makes a ton and very tasty. 

Finding myself with more energy than usual and not needing that second cup of coffee in the afternoon which is pretty liberating. Anyone else?

Sandy

Hi Sandy!

I don't know if  you've read through any of my earlier posts but I am currently on day 29 of my first Whole30! I can say that I experienced on-and-off bloating and moments of mild constipation during the first two weeks. I am feeling much better in the last two weeks though! Stick with it because you will feel so much better for doing so!

If anyone on this thread is unsure if they should keep going or if there are real success in this process I will share my favorite:

1. I've gone down 2 pants sizes
  2. I am sleeping better
  3. I have clear skin (no cystic pimple break outs)
  4. I am more productive
  5. I have more stamina
  6. no more mental fog
  7. I am overall happier and in a better mood
  8. more patience
  9. My A1c dropped 1.3 points
  10. I have lost 8.5lbs (this is at the bottom because as we know, it's not about the weight loss...but it's nice to see smaller numbers on the scale)

I am so happy for all of you on this journey! Take is from a day 29 newbie that it is worth all the planning, prepping and dishes!

Cera

Wow thanks Cera and congrats on reaching day 29! Have you thought much about reintroduction? 

Those are some incredible benefits! Great to hear. I’ve seen some similar benefits and hoping we can sustain them after reintroduction - finding that right balance listening to our bodies.

Enjoy the upcoming wine! So close!

Sandy

I have thought about reintroduction but I am on track to do a Whole60 first for a couple of reasons: 

1. I am a bit nervous about going overboard so I want to practice a bit longer
  2. I have seen some great results but have more goals to accomplish and I think another 30 days will be most helpful
  3. my mom and sister want to start a Whole30 on Feb. 1, and although I don't live with them, I want to keep going as a way to support their journey
  4. I am loving the food right now and just starting to get more adventurous so I want to keep playing with what I've learned thus far before adding more members to the party

Overall, I think I'm more nervous about the idea of reintroduction than I was about starting the Whole30 to begin with!

Cera

I began Whole30 January 22.  I utilized Real Plans. I live alone, cooking for one is not an easy task. With Real Plans I was able to adjust the serving size to 2.  Some recipes I double to go in the freezer. 

I'm ordering groceries on line to pick up, so I can avoid all those aisles whispering..."check this out, buy me, buy me."

Today, Day 9, cravings are over the top.  The vending machine was calling my name, yet I was stronger.  Probably if my favorite bakery wasn't such a drive to get to I could be face planting into a piece of Strawberry Cake with Butter Cream frosting.  I'll save that for my March birthday. 

I'm such a grouch today it's a good thing I live alone.  To settle the angry beast of cravings I got in the kitchen making spice mixes, taco, jerk and Italian. The aroma of all those spices coming together was enough to get me through the evening.  That and a nice cup of dark roast coffee with coconut cream. 

I don't think putting the Fitbit on the dog to get steps in will work either. So this grouch will put on a jacket walk the dog and feel better afterwards. 

Best of luck to all and Happy Whole30ing. We can do this.  

Archived