Starting January 21, 2018- first timer....

RachelR

Hey All!

I've been doing pretty good.  Today was the probably the toughest for me so far (Day 10).  I was excessively tired, bad headaches (probably stress related), very unproductive at work, and temptations to give in.  But I resisted!  Which I wouldn't have done before.  I would have "treated" my stress with some unhealthy, fatty, fried foods, and a large Diet Coke which would have initially soothed me and then made me feel awful.  So, I'm marching on and thankful for this forum and different posts and y'all, especially others like Cera who are further along and can speak to the benefits.   I'm trying to focus on the positives (always have a hard time with that in my personal life- but great at seeing it in others).  I got a comment today from someone who didn't know I was doing the Whole30 that they thought my face looked slimmer.  And I'm realizing I'm much stronger than I ever gave myself credit for because I've already made it one third through this challenge and on a great path to making long lasting healthier habits.  

Good luck to everyone!  

Every time someone resists the temptation of their cravings and puts their sugar dragon in its place, I celebrate for you! Seriously! You all deserve a victory lap each time you resist! Day 10, 1/3 of the way through feels great doesn't it!? Just try not to blink because before you know it you're on Day 30 and if you're like me, you're not quite ready for it to end because you feel so good and you are seeing numerous NSVs! You'll be boasting about your new found health to everyone you see (I told at least a half dozen of my coworkers about my victories yesterday and I don't think any of them truly wanted or needed to know but I had to share so they had to hear!! haha!!). 

On one of the handwritten notes from Melissa that I have framing my computer monitor at work she said, "Smile, even if you don't mean it. This, too, shall pass." Keep your chins up and your smiles as bright as you can! You got this!!

Cera

I started on January 22nd, so today is day 11 for me and man it's hard! The first 3-4 days were rough for me with some brain fog and very low energy, then I added starchy veggies in and have been feeling pretty great ever since, other than some mild digestive issues. But today I'm tired and cranky (introvert hangover from a LOT of social interaction yesterday), and there's birthday cake in the breakroom! <_< It's so hard to keep myself away from the sweets, but I know I just have to make it til 4:30. After that I can go home, take a nap, have some yummy spaghetti squash with meaty tomato sauce (I found Classico Tomato & Basil sauce yesterday, no sugar!) and have a quiet night in with a book and some tea. I think this has taught me more than anything that self care is very important when you're going through a big change in life.

I also cut out facebook & instagram when I started the Whole30 because mindless distractions like that inevitably lead me to eat like crap. I think it's helped me not to have social media as a crutch to fall on when I start having anxious or negative thoughts, I actually have to sit with my emotions and deal with them.

Rachel, how are you feeling now on your day 12? 

Hey, Day 12 cis coming to an end.  I'm doing okay.  Still tired but found made a new dinner recipe that was delicious so it is energizing me to keep going.  If I'm honest with myself, the fast food and stuff I was eating before really didn't taste good.  It's nice to take some pride in making a meal, plating it so it's pretty with all the colors and things, and enjoying it.

@cms8448- I hope you survived until 4:30 and had a nice relaxing night.  I made spaghetti squash with meatballs and pasta sauce last week.  It was delish.  I can't remember the brand of sauce I bought but after looking at many labels I was delighted to find one without sugar and was compliant (although it came with a heftier price tag).  

Congrats on cutting out social media.  I've actually been using both facebook and instagram to post and keep me accountable along with this forum.  I'm sure I annoy people but, maybe some will consider trying this journey as well.  It's nice to get words of encouragement as well.  But, I feel ya on the mindless distractions and I can definitely waste too much time checking those apps.  Probably adds to some of my headaches with looking at the glowing phone screen too much.  

I also meant to ask the group....  how are you all approaching exercise?

My activity is usually walking the dog twice a day but that's not a whole lot.  I was hoping the change in the diet would make me feel more energized and lead me to be more physically active but I just don't have it yet.  I know sometimes (or all the times) exercise can help with energy, depression, etc but just have to overcome the hurdle of the tiredness or what not and do it.  Part of me wants to see what changes occur just by focusing on the food.  Also, I have a history of trying to change too many things at once and get overwhelmed and then just quit.  So maybe, I will focus on the food with Whole30 for now thru day 30 and then start to incorporate more activity (if I'm not already moved to do so ---- whenever that Tiger Blood kicks in!).  

But, I'm definitely interested in your thoughts and what your activity levels are.

Thanks!

Rachel

@cms8448 Naps are you're friend in the first couple of weeks! So don't feel bad that your tired or experiencing brain fog, it does get better! I am on day 32 and I have never felt better in my life! Also, kudos to you for giving up social media! I am not a huge social media user (just Facebook here), in fact about a year ago I cut down my friends list to just family and my handful of closest friends, due to anxiety and depressive thoughts/feelings I had from comparing myself to everyone I had ever met! Haha! 

@RachelR Way to use social media to keep your accountable! As much as I am not a huge fan of social media, I can see how it could keep you accountable! I just posted about my 30 day experience on Facebook last night and my friends and family have been very sweet in "liking" and "loving" my status and leaving encouraging comments! It's nice to have other's rallying around you!

As far as your consumption of spaghetti squash, YUM! I have been making a "spaghetti" through my journey which has included: spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, mushroom, garlic, ground turkey and compliant spaghetti sauce! So delicious!

Rachel, you asked about activity levels and here's my very honest answer: I didn't do any exercise during my first 30 days! Haha! I made my 30 days about focusing on what I put into my body and how what I eat impacts my body composition. I am adding exercise this second 30 days including, at least 30 min of cardio daily and a 30 day push-up challenge (essentially I am going to see how many push-ups I can do each day and hopefully by the end of the month I am not doing wussy knee push-ups and doing at least 1 "real" push-up! It's the little things!). I will probably add or do something different exercise wise during March but I want to add things in baby  steps so I don't overwhelm myself with change and came make lasting lifestyle choices. 

On 2/2/2018 at 12:55 PM, cr89 said:

Rachel, you asked about activity levels and here's my very honest answer: I didn't do any exercise during my first 30 days! Haha! I made my 30 days about focusing on what I put into my body and how what I eat impacts my body composition. I am adding exercise this second 30 days including, at least 30 min of cardio daily and a 30 day push-up challenge (essentially I am going to see how many push-ups I can do each day and hopefully by the end of the month I am not doing wussy knee push-ups and doing at least 1 "real" push-up! It's the little things!). I will probably add or do something different exercise wise during March but I want to add things in baby  steps so I don't overwhelm myself with change and came make lasting lifestyle choices. 

Thanks!  I think I am going to do the same thing and just keep focusing on the change in eating habits and then slowly start to incorporate exercise after day 30.  The push up challenge sounds good!  I have such poor upper body strength.  Good luck to you and congrats on completing your Whole30!!

I'm on Day 15 now, halfway through yippee!! Chowing down on some delicious chili currently. I overdid the spaghetti squash, as yummy as it is, I think I was being lazy and avoiding trying new veggies. The other night I made this AMAZING skillet with kale, shrimp, sweet potato, and caramelized onions.

@cr89 That's actually a really good idea to narrow down Facebook to only your closest friends and family. Once I've had a solid month of no social media I think I'll designate one day a month to check in on people I actually care about. It's too addicting for me to use every day and is a huge procrastination tool too! I'm glad you've had luck with using it to help your Whole30 journey though @RachelR! In the right hands, social media can be great, but those hands are not mine. ^_^

As for exercise, I have been indoor rock climbing for the past year or so, but had taken a month off before the Whole30 due to travel and illness. Took the whole first week off, but the first time I went back to the gym I felt like I had a lot more endurance than I'm used to! That may in part be due to the fact that I just started taking electrolyte supplements to balance out my lower salt intake, but I mostly credit Whole30. Rachel, I think it's great you're getting out with the dog twice a day! Maybe you can start taking longer walks, or hikes on the weekends, or try out a new walking path you haven't been on before. Push-ups are HARD yo. Planks are super helpful too, lots of good core engagement there!

Hey y'all!  

I haven't been on the forum for a few days but checking in now and by my calculations we are on day 22!  (or 21 if you started 1/22). Either way we are over two thirds of the way complete!  Yay us!!!

Hope everyone is doing well.  I'm proud of my sticking with it and have been trying some new veggies.  My energy levels have not increased much which I'm bummed about but I'm going to stick with it and realize that it just may take my body longer.

Would love to hear updates....

Today is day 30!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe that I got here.  I'm committing to another 30 days as I'm not feeling as good as I think I should (lots and lots of years of unhealthy eating prior to this).  But, I'm super proud of myself for finishing and hope I can keep it up for this next go around.  Along with not feeling the tiger blood, etc--- I am also afraid of going back to poor eating habits.  I think I need to sit with this for just a little while longer.  While I'm doing good being around people with yummy non-whole 30 foods (pizza, calzones, wings, etc at Trivia night!). I still will see commercials, etc and feel a longing for that junky snack food or fast food.  Also, in this next 30 days, I'm going to commit to add in some exercise.  I don't want to take on too much as that is usually when I fail.  I got my fit bit charged up and will try and get my 10,000 steps.  That will likely mean using the treadmill at night as I have a pretty sedentary office job.  So, I will get off my behind at night after dinner and walk while I catch up on tv, jam to some music, or whatever.  

I'm waiting until tomorrow to do my weigh in and measure myself again.  I'm excited to see what differences I've made just with the food changes.  (I have a little idea as I had a MD appt and while I avoided looking at the scale- my weight was on my paperwork when I left--- although different scales measure differently.  So, we'll see the before and after with the home scale).

How did everyone else do?

Archived