Hi everyone this is my first Whole30 and overall I think it's going really well. Today is the halfway mark and I just can't get this off my mind.

I have been a vegetarian/vegan for the past 9 years and am now eating animal protein because I am a firm believer that the soy and grain replacement products for meat have been extremely detrimental to my health. I also can't see a way to get enough protein from just plants themselves. Many vegans out there may disagree with me, but after 9 years of trying to nourish myself I am only left with IBS and other inflammatory problems in my body. On the Whole30 my energy is still leveling out but overall I feel much better. HOWEVER, I can't help but feel like I am eating way too much animal meat! I have reinforced my belief system for so long that humans can live healthy, long, sustainable lives completely from plants and too much meat can ruin your health. The Whole30 is really shaking up this value. I have especially drank the cool-aid when it comes to the negative affects of the meat industry on climate change. On Whole30, the only way I can seem to make meals work is if there is an animal protein on the plate. I suppose it's a bit of an existential crisis for me. 

Does anyone have any research, reflections, or thoughts on this topic they would like to share with me? I know this is not the majority. Most people go through this epic lifestyle change to become vegetarians/vegans and here I am going in the opposite direction. Thank you in advance for all of your help. 

• Administrators

I guess I would say to you, don't forget that this is just for 30 days. Then you get to test out those foods that you used to eat and see how and if they are problematic for you. Maybe you'll be fine with legumes but no soy. Maybe fermented dairy will float your boat. The 30 days is just for the reset, then you get to learn the info about yourself and create a plan to move forward. Maybe that plan includes meat sometimes, eggs mostly but also some vegetarian protein sources. You won't know until you do the testing at the end. 

For the "science" on how "too much meat can ruin your health", you just keep checking in with yourself. If you're feeling better, moving better, looking better, better digestion, less pain, better sleep and on and on, then you could reasonably conclude that meat isn't ruining your health. 

From a personal perspective: I was vegetarian for a few years, vegan for a while.........years ago. And I was never as unhealthy and sick as during that time. 

17 hours ago, AngiePagan said:

Hi everyone this is my first Whole30 and overall I think it's going really well. Today is the halfway mark and I just can't get this off my mind.

I have been a vegetarian/vegan for the past 9 years and am now eating animal protein because I am a firm believer that the soy and grain replacement products for meat have been extremely detrimental to my health. I also can't see a way to get enough protein from just plants themselves. Many vegans out there may disagree with me, but after 9 years of trying to nourish myself I am only left with IBS and other inflammatory problems in my body. On the Whole30 my energy is still leveling out but overall I feel much better. HOWEVER, I can't help but feel like I am eating way too much animal meat! I have reinforced my belief system for so long that humans can live healthy, long, sustainable lives completely from plants and too much meat can ruin your health. The Whole30 is really shaking up this value. I have especially drank the cool-aid when it comes to the negative affects of the meat industry on climate change. On Whole30, the only way I can seem to make meals work is if there is an animal protein on the plate. I suppose it's a bit of an existential crisis for me. 

Does anyone have any research, reflections, or thoughts on this topic they would like to share with me? I know this is not the majority. Most people go through this epic lifestyle change to become vegetarians/vegans and here I am going in the opposite direction. Thank you in advance for all of your help. 

As far as the industry/climate change, check out the movie project called "Kale vs Cow: The Case for Better Meat". It's being researched and worked on by Diana Rodgers, a registered dietitian and working organic farmer. She's currently raising money for the production of the movie, but she's offering TONS of resources and citing a lot of the research that she's done to get the movie written and produced. On instagram she is @sustainabledish but I'm sure if you google the title you'll get some info too!

In terms of meat production's impact on the planet--there are meats that are better than others. Poultry and pork tend to be better for the environment than methane producing animals like cows and sheep, for example. If you can afford it, buy meat, fish, and eggs that are sustainable farmed/caught and where the animals are well cared for.

In terms of the overall ethical effect of any diet - considering the amount of human rights abuses that run rampant in vegetable harvesting, there really is no such thing as a pure, ethical diet. You can do the very best you can with where your food is sourced, but at the end of the day no diet is ethically pure. Not to say you shouldn't be concerned about those things, but you can focus on where you food is from as much as is possible for you and advocating for those causes through other means when you have the time, energy, and money to do so.

Thank you to everyone who has responded! All very helpful insights in my journey and I am so happy to be able to have you all as resources!! I am feeling great eating animal protein, so definitely feeling like listening to my body is the most important part of all of this. I am glad the Whole30 has taught me that. 

Archived