Finally got it right! Homemade mayo

CSB1960

I followed the instructions using the video instructions below (I did not use honey) This is my 3rd or 4th try at homemade mayo, finally got it right! Love the grape seed oil flavor, olive oil is so strong IMO even the light tasting (but I never could get it thick enough). I plan to start whole30 tomorrow. I bought the book a few months ago...can't recall is grape seed oil is a no-no...I sure hope not! I love this mayo. Had to make myself put it away, I kept "tasting" it, lol

http://completelynourished.com/tag/immersion/

Grape seed oil is not banned but it's very high in Omega 6. Mayo is mostly oil so you will be ingesting a large percentage of the oil. Have you tried Bertolli Extra Light tasting? It's the one I use and makes a wonderful mayo. No reason for it not to make a thick mayo. Mine is super thick. :)

I definitely saw a difference in consistency in my homemade mayo when I used apple cider vinegar instead of lemon juice. The lemon juice would definitely make a mayo, but it was the ACV that made the MAYO. I love the taste more, too. Bertolli Extra Light was definitely the way to go as well!

ACV mayo is THE BEST. Seriously. I like the taste of the lemon based mayo, but, to me, the ACV makes it more, well, MAYO. As in, hard boil some eggs I MUST have deviled eggs now, or this is the best chicken salad I have ever had, or what else is in the refrigerator that I can put mayo on?

:)

I made my first batch of mayo today too and it turned out amazing! I used this recipe http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/ (subbing apple cider vinegar for the lemon juice). I put everything all together in an upright, quart-size container and gave it a whirl with my stick blender. Perfect in about 20 seconds!

Holy Mayo Batman! I found a light tasting OO, after 2 stores no Bertolli:( and used ACV and it turned out yummy and scary thick. Would not fall off my utensil even after 10 seconds! Mixed for egg salad for tomorrow. Thank you and so glad I founds this thread! Oh I did try light tasting OO with lemon juice and not the same. I thought I had failed at first and I was crushed bc I have never had a fail but it pulled through for me!

I found the Nom Nom paleo mayo from their iPad ap very tastey. It was not an oily tasting as the one from theclothesmakethegirl.com. I used regular olive oil instead of the macademia nut oil and I put extra mustard in there to give it a little bit of a kick. Matched it up with some boiled chicken that was put through the food processor for a delicious chicken salad.

When I made my first batch of olive-oil mayo last month (need to make a new batch this weekend), I made sure to get the lightest tasting olive oil I could find. I wasn't specific on the brand, but I made sure to pick one out that said, "Extra Light Tasting". It didn't have any olive type flavor at all (IMO).

I used fresh squeezed lemon juice and it came out very tangy and lemony (not a bad thing as I still thoroughly enjoyed it). Maybe this weekend I'll go with the ACV idea!

I made my first batch of mayo today too and it turned out amazing! I used this recipe http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/ (subbing apple cider vinegar for the lemon juice). I put everything all together in an upright, quart-size container and gave it a whirl with my stick blender. Perfect in about 20 seconds!

So instead of the slow drizzle of oil did you dump all ingredients together and use a stick blender?

You're welcome, all - and thank you for your patience as we get this stuff ironed out. We've never run a forum before (and I haven't participated in one in years) so this is all new to us.

That is exactly how you do it. Easy peasy. I still let everything come to room temp but not sure it's necessary. I'm a mayo chicken. :)

Archived