Finally got it right! Homemade mayo

CSB1960

So instead of the slow drizzle of oil did you dump all ingredients together and use a stick blender?

RevKT,

Yes! I put everything in at once and blended...slowly at first and then moved it up and down a bit to get everything incorporated. Worked really great and was done in no time.

If I recall, nom nom paleo's recipe uses both ACV and lemon juice?

I saw the link in the OP to the immersion blender recipe, but I am curious if anyone has had success making mayo using a food processor.

All that beating with a whisk seems better left to the pros, and I just bought a 9 cup Cuisinart yesterday.

I use an immersion blender, and the only batch that failed was the one in which I used eggs that were still slightly chilled. I had also set my blender on a lower setting than I now use. Which condition caused the fail? I don't know, but I now make sure my eggs are room temp and the blender is set on high.

If I recall, nom nom paleo's recipe uses both ACV and lemon juice?

I saw the link in the OP to the immersion blender recipe, but I am curious if anyone has had success making mayo using a food processor.

All that beating with a whisk seems better left to the pros, and I just bought a 9 cup Cuisinart yesterday.

Yes, Cuisinarts used to be THE way to make mayo. Just google for recipes and used approved ingredients if the recipe you find calls for sugar or canola. There should be a little recipe book that came with it and probably has mayo in it.

I love making mayo - it's so darn easy! I love Well Fed's recipe. Thanks for the tips on Bertolli. I've found it's pretty darn frustrating trying to find the right type of OO at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's because they're all EVOO. Annoying! At least I know I can pick up the Bertolli brand at a regular grocery store and probably for much cheaper!

I also want to try ACV now that y'all are all talking about it, plus I have plenty sitting around! I want to try Nom Nom Paleo's macadamia or avocado oil mayo as well and hope I can make it in my food processor, since her recipe does it by hand.

The problem I have with using Mac Nut or Avocado oil is that it is SO EXPENSIVE. I just can't justify using something so expensive to make something that I am going to mix with other things... I'll stick to the extra-light OO.

I am going to try the avocado thing next batch, though... bring on the fats!

For all you fellow mayo "geeks" this is a pretty good article I came across that explains some of the reasons ACV/Lemon adn a touch of water help our mayos.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/23/dining/easy-homemade-mayonnaise.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

That was a fun read. I really want the recipe for sweet potato salad recipe. Going to wing it. :)

Hmm...I tried it last night with my immersion blender, but no matter how long I tried running it, it didn't come together. I think it's because I started by using a large pot (instead of a thin container). I tried moving the mixture to thinner and thinner containers (eventually a wide-mouthed mason jar), but I think by then it was too late. The mix never thickened and stayed totally liquid.

I'm thinking about trying again tomorrow using my regular blender and the slow drizzle method (because I know that worked before). But, I'm not sure if I still have enough light-tasting olive oil.

Has anyone tried this using melted coconut oil?

Hmm...I tried it last night with my immersion blender, but no matter how long I tried running it, it didn't come together. I think it's because I started by using a large pot (instead of a thin container). I tried moving the mixture to thinner and thinner containers (eventually a wide-mouthed mason jar), but I think by then it was too late. The mix never thickened and stayed totally liquid.

I'm thinking about trying again tomorrow using my regular blender and the slow drizzle method (because I know that worked before). But, I'm not sure if I still have enough light-tasting olive oil.

Has anyone tried this using melted coconut oil?

Della, I do think it's important to use the right container. Mason jar sounds perfect. You also need to hold the blender to the bottom of the jar. Then pulse about 3 seconds at a time until you see the mayo starts to form at the bottom. Then just tip it side to side to allow the oil to get into the blender. You can go faster and faster as the mayo amount grows.

People have had good luck with 25% melted coconut oil. I guess because it solidifies when cold, you have to keep the amount small.

Della, I do think it's important to use the right container. Mason jar sounds perfect. You also need to hold the blender to the bottom of the jar. Then pulse about 3 seconds at a time until you see the mayo starts to form at the bottom. Then just tip it side to side to allow the oil to get into the blender. You can go faster and faster as the mayo amount grows.

People have had good luck with 25% melted coconut oil. I guess because it solidifies when cold, you have to keep the amount small.

Thank you for the advice! It could have been the pulsing, because rather than 3 seconds at a time, I just continually ran the blender as thoroughly on high as possible, I didn't actually pulse it.

Thank you for the advice! It could have been the pulsing, because rather than 3 seconds at a time, I just continually ran the blender as thoroughly on high as possible, I didn't actually pulse it.

Bingo..I'll bet that was it!

I finally got some Bertolli extra light tasting OO...wow what a difference in the flavor! Yum yum....NO strong taste of OO what so ever!

I'm gonna have to take a break from mayo, I'm eating a jar of 1 egg batch every 2 to 3 days! But da-um its good!

Della, I do think the pulsing is very important. I've made several batches using the pulsing method (I use a pyrex 2 cup glass measuring cup) never had a runny batch, and also make sure all ingredients are room temp.

Archived