Melbourne, Australia goes Whole30

praxisproject

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all stocked up on coconut oil from Loving Earth & Melrose (I find the Loving Earth one a bit sweet for veggies).

My poor free range ham, it's not Whole30 compliant (sugar in the cure), so it'll be going in the freezer.

Damn, I didn't think to check my coconut milk/cream, it's Trident and has cellulose gum in it :( Need some pure Ayam stat!

Melbourne Australia! One of my most frequently visited cities! I'm from Tassie, so only a short flight over the water!!

Wishing you the best for your Whole30. I'll follow along with your progress :-)

Isn't it crazy how much shite is in all the foods we normally eat! - added sugar disguised as something else with a big, unpronounceable name! Sugar in foods that shouldn't have sugar (I saw tuna in a can with added sugar! Criminal!)

Happy to help you along with motivation, etc!

Cheers, Holly

I found out the hard way that many cafes put sugar in their tuna to make it taste "fresher" O.o

I am excited to find out I can have kippers! http://johnwest.com.au/our-range/specialty-seafood/specialty-fish/kipper-fillets-in-brine-200g http://johnwest.com.au/our-range/specialty-seafood/specialty-fish/mackerel-fillets-in-brine-125g hmm, what about Sunflower Oil? I'd wash it off the oysters http://johnwest.com.au/our-range/specialty-seafood/shellfish/smoked-oysters-in-oil-85g

Hi from a fellow Melburnian. I am starting my whole 30 officially tomorrow but have been 90% compliant since Friday. (Love a good latte or 2...but here comes the long blacks)

Aldi have an organic tomato paste with the only ingredient listed being tomatoes, also Safcol tuna in olive oil is actually packed in olive oil, water and salt.

Hope that helps.

Off to cook my last non whole 30dinner for a while to use up some bits and pieces.

Looks like there are a few of us in Melbourne (and Tassie!). I'm starting tomorrow as well (going for a W100) and looking forward to it. Completely agree how many sneaky ingredients are in everyday items. I finished going through the pantry yesterday and was surprised at how much had to go. Good luck everyone!

Happy to discover my Gourmet Thai curry pastes are okay! All prepped for tomorrow \o/ http://praxisproject.wordpress.com/2013/01/01/whole30-day-0-prep-prep-prep/

I normally don't eat a lot of fruit, so if I look like I'm eating too much or the wrong kind, please tell me! I normally just have a few berries here and there (insulin resistant).

[Note for others: Gourmet Thai pastes are no longer Whole30 compliant, have added crap. Have switched to Aroy-D]

If it's half as good as breakfast, I'll be happy :D Breakfast was awesome, I don't usually eat quite so much for breakfast, but I usually snack. Looking forward to a 3 meal day. I ate as soon as I got up, going to try and keep this pattern for Whole30, see if I can retrain my metabolism.

Great start! I am on day 13 but recommitted today to try harder to plan three big meals and less directly after meal snacking.... not quite a snack but not quite in the spirit of a meal either so I would like to improve this. I also want to have a few fruit free days to see the effect on my digestion and also send my awakining caffeine dragon back to the dungeon!

I just bought a gigantic box of huge fat cherries! lol I see many cherries in my menus

Zoodles are zucchini noodles, recipe on NomNomPaleo :)

Excitement followed by disappointment today, I found coconut aminos, loaded with sugar :( Bad Niulife, what a waste.

Really low blood sugar right now, not sure I can wait until dinner. Is all snacking breaking the Whole30? I have some chicken and avocado I could have.

\o/ Snacking is allowed, it'll be avocado and chicken, so I'll take more time to prep my dinner & lunch tomorrow.

My lunch today was awesome. I really like my new lunchboxes from New Zealand, good portion size and hold my little Decor dressing containers inside (tall enough).

New food things I have already done on Whole30:

* Cooked with ghee (silly, but I have never bought any for home before, although I use butter and have cooked with it in the past)

* Made my own pesto

* Had nut butter as part of a meal

* Packed a dressing (pesto) for my salad

* Made Zoodles

* Made my own nut milk

* Made my breakfast AND lunch the night before

* Eat as soon as I got up (this usually makes me feel sick, but today I not only stomached my breakfast but I enjoyed it!)

* Booked a meal out at a Paleo restaurant

* Made cold brewed coffee

* Had plain coconut milk in my coffee

* Had coffee at home before work and no coffee at work

* Researched how to make my own mustard

* Ate heirloom tomatoes

* Packed a sliced lime to have in my water at work

and I haven't even made dinner yet!

So many yummy ideas. Sounds like your first day was a success.

It is going to be so hot here tomorrow, I am thinking of doing Damn fine chicken but cooking it on the BBQ. Wonder if that will work? I am just going to leave out the tamari/fish sauce/etc.

I had chicken and avo for a snack after the gym or I wouldn't have made it to dinner. I need to get my head around pre-post workout snacks.

Snacking is okay when you genuinely need the food. Many people switch to four meals a day in the first few weeks as well while their body is still inefficient at getting enough energy from fat. If I cant make it to dinner I have olives, carrots and a few nuts, or sometimes a bowl of soup with meat.

The pre wo snacks that work for me are a few nuts for a light/standard workout, a boiled egg for a mod workout and an added glass of tomato juice or meat instead of egg for a hard work out. Post wo sweet potato and meat or pumpkin chips and nuts or very occasionally some fruit.

Dinner was beef bolognese with lots of oregano and organic tomatoes, on a bed of baby spinach cooked in ghee. The spinach was amazing, I will be keeping ghee for cooking post-Whole30.

Breakfast today was beef bolognese and an avocado. I had nasty leg cramps last night, my own fault, I've been slack about taking my magnesium for a few weeks and it caught up with me. Bit tired today due to the lack of sleep, so my appetite will probably be a little lower today.

Lunch packed last night, big italian salad with homemade pesto, a hot smoked salmon fillet, heirloom tomatoes, raspberries and almond butter.

Getting ready for a massive heat wave in my state of Victoria, the fire authorities have compared this to Black Saturday and a number of other high-death-toll (from bushfires) heat waves. Need to keep hydrated today and stay out of the sun.

It was Superior Gold Hot Smoked Creole Salmon, hot and spicy! It has the skin on, but with a nice texture. I had it sliced up with a huge Italian salad, Whole30 pesto and heirloom tomatoes.

Wasn't real hungry tonight, cooked some tiny cubes of pumpkin in ghee until golden and had that with a beef red curry (only sauce to coat). Dropped a few cherries in my soda water, they were perfect, just tints the water a little and they're still good to eat.

Not sure which is lunch and which is breakfast yet, but tomorrow is more pumpkin & beef curry and oven roasted carrots with Bertocci Porchetta (Pork Roast) fried in a smidge of duck fat to get it crispy. It's not bacon, but it's porky :D

No plans for tomorrows dinner yet, if it's hot, appetite will be low. Gonna make coffee popsicles in my Zoku, no coffee for breakfast, to balance the day out.

Archived