Melbourne, Australia goes Whole30

praxisproject

Erg, 30 degrees after midnight. Appetite sucked today, once the heat hit, glad I had Porky for breakfast.

Cold curry with pumpkin for lunch, cold Beef Bolognese for dinner, with cold pumpkin slices I baked with ghee the other day. Weirdly, I have only wanted orange vegetables today, usually I love my green things but not today.

I don't seem to match the standard experience for Day 3, not sure if it's all the orange veggies slowing me down, or if I adapted quicker. Appetite has been low all day since breakfast, but energy has been good.

I am covered in mosquito bites, I itch itch itch lol

Eating at the Melbourne Paleo restaurant Palate tomorrow, for lunch. I'll take photos. Yes, they can make Whole30 compliant meals! :D

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been sloppy about updating, but have been keeping a lot and taking photos (when I remember) of my awesome food. Really enjoying the food and in general feeling quite good. Heat here has been terrible and exercise has been less than usual, but kitchen work has been higher lol. I need to make ahead more things, I'm often only doing one meal ahead, which is useless if it's lunch at breakfast, as I'm back to square 1 for dinner. Need to do more menu planning tonight.

Did my first non-walking workout today, since starting Whole30. Just got a Total Gym XLS (one of the few things strong enough to take my weight) and I did my first workout on it. I didn't follow the recommended one (it uses lots of combos), I'll try that later when I'm more confident with each exercise, I've never used a machine like this before.

The TotalGym uses your own weight as the "weight" in exercises, combined with an incline you set in the machine (1-6 - higher is harder, lifting your weight on a steeper incline).

I did 100 leg squats (10 sets of 10) on Level 3 incline and I was 147.9 kilos at the start of Whole30 (326 pounds for the people who still use dark age measurements).

I could only manage two chest presses on Level 3 incline, I think I'll have to lower the incline if I want to do more chest/pulley reps.

My leg muscles are a bit tingly, but not super sore, my knees feel awesome (I have crapola knees and probably can't do any squats without a machine) which is why I did so many squats. I haven't been able to do squats since I was in highschool.

I totally forgot to eat anything before my workout and I have no idea what to eat after it. I don't bother with eating extra if I'm walking, it's a much easier workout.

Great work on the squats. If you think you might get DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) take some magnesium....it really helps.

Pre and post work out snacks are tough, I find I am starving after weights and need to have something ASAP. Before it depends on the time of day.

I am. It familiar with the machine you are using but dropping the incline for chest makes sense as if your bench is too steep you actually work your shoulders rather than your chest.

Ahh, might be why my legs feel good today, I take a magnesium supplement every night. I used to get terrible leg cramps when low carbing, but extra salt and magnesium prevents them. I'm not a big salt eater my instinct.

That's good to know, I'm pretty strong (I have might higher than average % lean body mass) and was surprised how hard the chest press was, but that would be why. I have a joint disorder too (hyperextension) and this machine is ideal for me as it will also build better control muscles, which help keep my joints and bones in place. Any Total Gym tips are welcome :) I've never had any home equipment before and miss the guidance of a trainer that comes with a gym.

Need to prep better this weekend, had a visitor last weekend and I didn't do as much as I should have.

I think I have a bunch of eggs to use up, need to use the oldest ones for hardboiled now I know the secret of non-pocked eggs.

I'd like a batch of paleo egg cups too, I make them with pork mince, dried sage, hot chilli powder and egg, nice and spicy! Need a green to go with them. Baby spinach for wilting would be perfect I think, or red capsicum (peppers).

I also need to make some bone broth, i've had none at all since starting, stupidly bought meat that didn't have any bones.

I want to cook two chickens in the oven too (just as easy to do two as one I think) and make some sweet potato slices or mash.

I need more make ahead veggies.

I checked out your blog, your food looks great! So does the food from Palate..there should be more of that.

I like the sound of your cook up plans, I need to do the same. Going to do some roast pork and fry up a heap of mince as that came in handy last week. Also going to poach some chicken breasts for salads etc and make a lot of mayo and dressings.

Hey do any of you aussies know what pulled pork is? Im too embarrased to ask the yanks.... am thinking its something to do with cooking meat on the bone then pulling it off but maybe not.......

Wow..too embarrassed to ask "the yanks" because we are not approachable? I stumbled into this thread. I think I will stumble back out now.

lol I have been wanting to make pulled pork too, but unsure whether our local cuts of meat have the same name.

Is our "pork shoulder" the same?

Total Gym note:

Lvl 3 -> 10 set of 10 reps - leg squats

All chest work Lvl 1 ->

10 chest presses

15 chest fly

5 shoulder chest fly

Got two chickens almost finished in the oven (NomNomPaleo Julia Child style), got a pork forequarter in the slow cooker for pulled pork, got a batch of chicken bone broth going in my giant slow cooker (10 chicken "frames" fit in it, OMG!), a pan of dutch carrots slow roasting in the oven. I have sliced up a bunch of nero kale, a purple cabbage (NO idea what to go with this lol), a bunch of not-so-hot giant chillis, the last of my green beans.

Weirdly have eaten very very little today, no appetite, but feel good. Ate and drank a lot yesterday, wonder if that's why. Have managed some leftover Franks Chicken and eating a frozen banana right now. Went on a long shopping trip today for all the supplies, a few hours of walking.

In the back of my fridge from my last shop, I still have a pineapple and a mango. Reckon eating these together is a bad idea? Thinking of freezing the pineapple, I love frozen pineapple. Not sure about frozen mango. Maybe Zoku pops? Mango is highish in carbs, not sure how much is sugar.

Archived