Melbourne, Australia goes Whole30

praxisproject

I bought sweet potato today. Anyone know the different between red and gold? they're both kinda pinky on the outside, haven't seen innards yet

........ Wiki says of New Zealand grown sweet potatoes...

There are three main varieties (red, orange and gold) grown in the subtropical northern part of the North Island[47] and widely available throughout New Zealand year-round, where they are a popular alternative to potatoes.[48] The red variety has dull red skin and purple-streaked white flesh, and is the most popular. The orange variety is the same as the American "Beauregard" variety. The gold kumara has pale, yellowish skin and flesh.

And also....

The edible tuberous root is long and tapered, with a smooth skin whose color ranges between yellow, orange, red, brown, purple, and beige. Its flesh ranges from beige through white, red, pink, violet, yellow, orange, and purple. Sweet potato varieties with white or pale yellow flesh are less sweet and moist than those with red, pink or orange flesh.[4]

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can freeze the mango just fine, I froze a stack and made mango coconut milk sorbet/ice-cream for Christmas.

Your cook up sounds amazing!!

As for the purple cabbage may I suggest Jamie Oliver's braised cabbage recipe? You will need to whole30 it as I think it has butter in I t and bacon but perhaps you could use pancetta?

Thank you! I've got some proscuitto, I might try that. Sadly my beloved Porky is no longer stocked at my Coles, must have been an Xmas special.

My cartoon end to yesterday (don't drink while reading this):

Tipped my large chicken dish (holding two chickens) on an angle while I was trying to squeeze it in the fridge, spilling the chicken juice all over the floor. Then slipped in said chicken juice, dropping entire chicken dish upside down on floor and slamming knee into floor.

As a learning experience, I highly recommend NOT dropping your roasted chickens and their dish on the floor, spilling all their lovely chicken gravy. I do however recommend wrapping the dish tightly in gladwrap, only my juice escaped, chickens saved with a chopping board lift!

Given all my extra cooking on Whole30, it's all gone very smoothly, so I can't complain too much. My batch of pulled pork is finished I think, I had to put it in the fridge this morning, will see how it looks tonight, but it was nice and soft this morning and falling apart.

PS. my cats now think there might be chicken under the floor lol The smell of chicken stock, pulled pork and chicken gravy has made the poor things crazy ;)

Bahaha! Hope you didn't hurt yourself too much.

Oh and when are you having all us melbourne peeps over to try this pulled pork?!? Sounds amazing.

I had planned to do a massive cook. Up today but it just didn't happen, tomorrow is another day.

Wooo-hooo my first bone broth is ready (well, I have to strain it, ick).

Nahh, I'll be alright, but my knee is a scary looking purple haemotoma, no pain though or much swelling.

Not quite finished the pulled pork, but when I work it out, I'll post the Aussie recipe :)

O M G! Just made coconut prawns based on this recipe http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/4183-ah-mazing-coconut-shrimp/ I didn't measure my coconut, chilli or paprika (I used mild), but it was reddish when mixed. One beaten egg white, dip & fry in coconut oil. I also shredded a small orange sweet potato and made hash stacks. I tried without a binder and then with an egg white. Egg white better by far, the other ones disassembled. It wasn't going to be my whole dinner, but I'm full now :D

Oh, I forgot the update on the pulled pork, it turned out really well and I highly recommend this as a make-ahead meal.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6143-too-much-liquid-in-slow-cooker-pulled-pork-first-time-cooking-it/

I haven't frozen it and reheated it, but I suspect it will do so very well. I've never cooked much pork in the slow cooker, but this is great.

In Australia, the cut is called the Pork Forequarter, I got mine from Coles and it comes in one of those butchers nets to keep the long log shape. Mine wasn't very fatty in the end (liquid wise) but sometimes they can be, so the fridge step I did is probably something I'll do every time, cook it overnight and then put it in the fridge in the morning. Big difference in the amount of liquid pre-shredded to post-shredded, so don't remove any liquid until it's fully shredded (I shredded mine warm).

I've eaten it plain, with Lousiana Hot Sauce and with wilted spinach. Mine was a bit bland for my liking on it's own, but I didn't add a lot of strong spice at the start, I will next time :) I like it spicy. I'm going to try it with Franks Hot Sauce tomorrow, I think I've only ever had this on chicken, so it will be interesting to try.

I'm not sharing my pulled pork (lol it's THAT good) but if you need to make family meals, I think this would be ideal. Might just have to watch serving sizes, but since it's pretty much all meat, I found it fairly easy to "eyeball" a protein serve.

Don't be tempted to add liquid to the slow cooker, I've never done anything without added liquid so it was quite scary having a dry looking pot running overnight, but it really does create loads of liquid just from the meat (only a small amount comes from the onions). I would be careful if your slow cooker leaks any steam though, as it could dry up. I was worried mine was too loose, but it worked just fine.

I have seen a post online about an overflowing slow cooker, so make sure there's room for your pork & about half a crock pot full of liquid, if it's a bit squishy space-wise, might need a bigger pot or smaller forequarter. I forgot how big mine was, but I checked the size before starting by putting the packaged pork in and seeing if it fit. It only *just* fit, length wise (it was in my smallest slow cooker), but loads of room at the sides.

Glad to see your pulled pork worked so well. I have bought a cut of pork (unfortunately I have no idea what type of cut it is) and will give it a burl in the slow cooker this weekend. I may also have problems with the slow cooker being too small for the size of the cut of meat but will see how it goes. That shrimp recipe looks awesome too so will put it on the list to try.

Hmm, they don't all have garlic, I'll look through my bottles at home. I don't think Frank's has garlic, pretty sure it's just salt, vinegar and chillis.

Had more pulled pork success this morning. I was a little worried about my second try, as overnight it wasn't soft enough to pull apart. I put it in the fridge and cooked it overnight again last night and this morning it was fantastic! I think I cooked it longer the first time, before overnight.

This time I used ground cumin, a shake of paprika, a shake of hot chilli powder and a can of (imported) diced green chilis with a couple of small sliced onions. My partner thinks it smells like a Mexican restaurant, think this one is a winner :) Cooked my last spaghetti squash too, I hope I can get more, love these :)

Thanks, I looked up some of the Franks ones but there were lots to choose from. I cant wrap my mind around the texture of pulled pork yet.... my mind says it will be like stringy chicken but I am sure its not..... I just bought pork belly this morning and am having a go at making bacon.... so maybe pulled pork next.... where do you get spaghetti squash from... I really want to try this

I've been looking for spaghetti squash for years, and suddenly it appeared at my local asian veggie shop. It's bloody hard to cut into, I gave up on it raw, roasted it whole until the skin was soft enough to cut (don't do this hot, it's full of steam), it's like plywood when raw lol If you find them, go for the darker yellow ones, I got two and the lighter one seems less ripe than the other, more flavourless and tougher insides (still edible though). The sticker on mine says something like the Manotti brothers, I saw the same sticker in an online photo from a Sydney person who found them. I'm gonna save the seeds and try and plant them.

The pulled pork texture is much like the soft beef you get in a mexican taco/burrito, it looks stringy, but it's not dry and tough, it's soft and moist. The uncooked meat has loads of connective tissue, so the slow cooking breaks it down to gelatinous silkiness.

I use the Original Franks. I believe the Wing sauce has no-nos in it, not sure about any other varieties.

My slow cooker's low is very low, so this time it was twice. Last time it was once overnight, but I think I must have cooked it on high for a few hours before the overnight, I remember being petrified of leaving it running overnight on low with no liquid in it.

Either that or this pork was harder somehow. I thought I'd buggered it when I poked it and it was hard and wouldn't shred, but it came up a treat with another overnight on low (and a day in the fridge in the middle).

Juzbo - I checked my sauces, the Louisiana ones I have are all garlic free: original, chipotle, jalepeno, habanero. I also checked the mexican Cholula hot sauce (original) and it has no garlic too. I'm having chipotle on pulled pork tonight, it was so tasty I forgot sauces for breakfast and lunch lol

Oh it's awesome, it's smoked jalepeno, what could be wrong with that??? :D I fell in love with it at Subway (although aside from the chilli, the sauce is horrible lol), I'd never come across it before. Sometimes I can get dried ones at USA Foods. If I ever get a smoker, I'll try smoking my own now we can get fresh jalepenos. Although I'm not sure if they're smoked red ones, we don't get red ones here at all.

Archived