Calcium / Iron Supplements?

littleapple08

Hi all!  

First time Whole30-er here. I'm an active runner and pescatarian by choice (and lactose intolerant, not by choice), and have been taking a number of supplements daily: a multi-vitamin, omega-3 (flax oil), biotin, collagen, and calcium + Vitamin D. I also run between 15-40 miles a week (closer to 15 now that it's January and snowy, though I am still working out hard 6 days a week.) I know that most vitamins are not needed on Whole30 but am concerned about my calcium & iron as I am training for some spring races.

Having read a lot of the forum and blog, I have not seen anyone mention a calcium supplement that's approved. I already take one that's vegan but it contains fructose, which is a no-go. I don't eat red meat and the idea of bone broth is revolting..... as is eating fish bones (I really only eat fish because I got very sick not eating any animal protein and training). Would love to know if anyone has found an approved calcium supplement, (and iron supplement but I'm less concerned there) that they could recommend?

Thank you!!

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, littleapple08 said:

Hi all!  

First time Whole30-er here. I'm an active runner and pescatarian by choice (and lactose intolerant, not by choice), and have been taking a number of supplements daily: a multi-vitamin, omega-3 (flax oil), biotin, collagen, and calcium + Vitamin D. I also run between 15-40 miles a week (closer to 15 now that it's January and snowy, though I am still working out hard 6 days a week.) I know that most vitamins are not needed on Whole30 but am concerned about my calcium & iron as I am training for some spring races.

Having read a lot of the forum and blog, I have not seen anyone mention a calcium supplement that's approved. I already take one that's vegan but it contains fructose, which is a no-go. I don't eat red meat and the idea of bone broth is revolting..... as is eating fish bones (I really only eat fish because I got very sick not eating any animal protein and training). Would love to know if anyone has found an approved calcium supplement, (and iron supplement but I'm less concerned there) that they could recommend?

Thank you!!

Maybe this article would help?

http://whole9life.com/2012/02/what-about-calcium/

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Maybe this article would help?

http://whole9life.com/2012/02/what-about-calcium/

Thank you SugardcubOD! This article was a huge help. For someone who needs more calcium (intensive running promotes bone breakdown, which is why my PT recommends omega3 for inflammation + calcium for recovery), have you seen any compliant brands? 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, littleapple08 said:

Thank you SugardcubOD! This article was a huge help. For someone who needs more calcium (intensive running promotes bone breakdown, which is why my PT recommends omega3 for inflammation + calcium for recovery), have you seen any compliant brands? 

No sorry, and honestly, anyone that tells you a compliant brand you'll have to research anyway because formulas change from region to region and from time to time.  I wonder if doing something like Natural Calm or a supplement like that that is magnesium and calcium would work?

36 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

No sorry, and honestly, anyone that tells you a compliant brand you'll have to research anyway because formulas change from region to region and from time to time.  I wonder if doing something like Natural Calm or a supplement like that that is magnesium and calcium would work?

Thank you so much!

Archived