Slaying my Sugar Dragon, how far to go?

TJHigh

So this is my third Whole 30 and I think I’ve been progressively more successful in each and learned something new.  My first I probably snacked too much and I definitely turned to dried fruit and nuts. My second I eliminated the dried fruit and most of the snacking, but I still turned to fresh fruit for an allowable treat. For example, I could kill almost an entire bunch of grapes in a sitting, if I really wanted to (and some times I def did!)

This Whole 30 is MUCH better - I’ve really been following the template and am completely satisfied with three nutritious meals, with virtually no cravings in between. The only snacking I do is pre-work out (shortish, slow runs of about 3 miles after coming back from injury).  For whatever reason, full fat meals of olives and iberico ham seem to help my run energy.

my question- while I haven’t been snacking due to cravings, I have been having a serving of fruit with dinner.  Usually a Cara Cara orange since they’re deliciously in-season.  Any thoughts on if it’s worth it/advisable to focus on cutting out all fruit for the last two weeks to really kill the ol’ Sugar Dragon? 

• Administrators

My suggestion would be to check in with yourself on how that orange is being used psychologically. If you decide that you're going to stop eating fruit, do you feel resentful and cranky and annoyed about it? If so, you might still be using that fruit to prop up a need for sugar. If you feel like you'll be completely fine (be honest) then eating in season fruit because you enjoy it is totally fine! 

@ladyshanny very good things to think about! On one hand, I wasn’t having fruit every day and didn’t think about it/miss it when I didn’t. On the other hand, you’re right, I feel disappointed/uneasy to think it might be off-limits. I’ve got two weeks to go, I think I’ll go one week fully without and see where I’m at.  Thanks!

Archived