Can SWYPO be different for people just like food without brakes?

Mandylou21

I recently posted in a FB group about a product (a nut butter blend) that I found. Totally compliant. Several people quickly labeled it "SWYPO." Can this be different for different people? This product was delicious, would not "lead me (personally) into temptation" and was great as a plated fat. 

I am struggling with this particular concept as, for me, pasta replacement and compliant coffee creamers make me miss the real thing (I tend to just avoid pasta-like dishes and gave up coffee since I didn't like it on its own) but this product was completely satisfying. I could maybe understand had they labeled it a "Food without brakes" but am confused how it could be SWYPO. 

I don't know if I am allowed to link the product. I just found it at my local grocery, read it and decided to try it on a banana - no different than an almond butter, imo. 

Thoughts? What am I missing about SWYPO?

• Moderators

Okay so yes, SWYPO can definitely be different for different people... if someone couldn't eat dinner without rice for instance, we would tell them to probably not go the cauli rice route because that would be sex with your pants on... 

Nuts and nut butters are meant to be limited and should be eaten as part of a meal (not on a banana as a snack to quell an angry sugar dragon - and if it was because you were hungry that you ate that banana and butter, then a better option would have been protein and fat like a hardboiled egg and mayo).

That said, is this nut butter blend something that has cocoa mixed in with it or is it just a nut and seed butter?  If it was with cocoa, then regardless of whether it was personally a problem for you, it would be out because cocoa isn't allowed to be used to create sweet treats which a cocoa and nut butter combo would be.  You can link the product and we can tell you definitively whether the program says it's out but it is true that SWYPO is somewhat context driven (except the egg/banana pancakes, recreating any baked goods etc... that's called out right in the rules).

We had a spicy chili for dinner, salad with compliant dressing and hubby and I split a banana with the spread. Since I cannot add sour cream to the chili, the sweetness was to combat the spice. To me, and I'm feeling more and more like I'm wrong, it is no different thab adding a Larabar to a meal. 

There is no added cocoa, but there are dates, espresso and hazelnuts. I started to put it back, but again... It's so much like a Larabar that I thought it would be okay. It has a thick texture, as you might guess with the dates added, so it isn't something with which you can really go "overboard." 

https://www.amazon.com/Kalot-Superfood-ALMOND-ESPRESSO-HAZELNUTS/dp/B01K38IMI0

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Mandylou21 said:

We had a spicy chili for dinner, salad with compliant dressing and hubby and I split a banana with the spread. Since I cannot add sour cream to the chili, the sweetness was to combat the spice. To me, and I'm feeling more and more like I'm wrong, it is no different thab adding a Larabar to a meal. 

There is no added cocoa, but there are dates, espresso and hazelnuts. I started to put it back, but again... It's so much like a Larabar that I thought it would be okay. It has a thick texture, as you might guess with the dates added, so it isn't something with which you can really go "overboard." 

https://www.amazon.com/Kalot-Superfood-ALMOND-ESPRESSO-HAZELNUTS/dp/B01K38IMI0

Okay so the banana is a great way to beat spice... and fruit eaten with a meal is how we recommend it.  We would never recommend or endorse eating a Larabar with a meal or added as any sort of dessert so I'm not sure I understand the comparison... Larabars are approved for emergencies only (stuck on tarmac, already ate the underseat floatation device and about to consume seat mate type of emergency).

That product would absolutely not be okay on the program.  Dates are to be used to sweeten ketchup or bbq sauce, not nut butter to make it like a 'compliant nutella'.  Please save this for after your whole30 as it is not compliant to the program.

Archived