sausage + gluten

cchartrand

Hi everyone!

I searched (the many!) sausage related posts here but didn't find an exact answer to the question I'm looking for. I'm on day 11 of my Whole30, and at the beginning of this process I bought a package of sausage. I carefully checked the ingredients list to ensure it had no added sugar. It does have sodium erythorbate, but I read this from this forum before I bought it and made the executive decision that it was probably okay, in moderation. (I'm not eating 10 sausages at a time here, just cutting up one or two to use in something like a sausage/shrimp stirfry type thing which makes several servings.) 

But yesterday I was talking to a friend and she asked what I was having for supper. I sent her the link to the recipe (which included sausage) and she said that pretty much all sausage contains gluten as a filler, and shouldn't that be a hard no on Whole30? I had no answer for her, and immediately thought "oh man, did I just screw up hard enough to have to start over?" I'm concerned enough about that that I made an account on this forum just to ask - do I have to start over because my sausage wasn't expressly listed as 'gluten free?' (There were no grains etc listed on the ingredient list) I thought I was pretty confident in the rules etc but now I just feel like I might've messed the whole thing up LOL. Help. 

Thank you! 

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, cchartrand said:

Hi everyone!

I searched (the many!) sausage related posts here but didn't find an exact answer to the question I'm looking for. I'm on day 11 of my Whole30, and at the beginning of this process I bought a package of sausage. I carefully checked the ingredients list to ensure it had no added sugar. It does have sodium erythorbate, but I read this from this forum before I bought it and made the executive decision that it was probably okay, in moderation. (I'm not eating 10 sausages at a time here, just cutting up one or two to use in something like a sausage/shrimp stirfry type thing which makes several servings.) 

But yesterday I was talking to a friend and she asked what I was having for supper. I sent her the link to the recipe (which included sausage) and she said that pretty much all sausage contains gluten as a filler, and shouldn't that be a hard no on Whole30? I had no answer for her, and immediately thought "oh man, did I just screw up hard enough to have to start over?" I'm concerned enough about that that I made an account on this forum just to ask - do I have to start over because my sausage wasn't expressly listed as 'gluten free?' (There were no grains etc listed on the ingredient list) I thought I was pretty confident in the rules etc but now I just feel like I might've messed the whole thing up LOL. Help. 

Thank you! 

Not sure where your friend got her idea that 'pretty much all sausage contains gluten' but if a company puts gluten in a product they are obligated by law to disclose that.  If the ingredients in your sausage were compliant, you're good to go.

On 1/17/2018 at 1:01 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Not sure where your friend got her idea that 'pretty much all sausage contains gluten' but if a company puts gluten in a product they are obligated by law to disclose that.  If the ingredients in your sausage were compliant, you're good to go.

I have been gluten free my entire life (Celiac) and have never heard this about sausage. Not once. Such a strange anecdote!

Archived