Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hellalay

Bacon?

Brett..there are a bunch of variations on the threads. We were quite obsessed by making bacon for a while. Do a search for bacon in the recipe or food area for all the info. I think Sharon has done the most experimenting. Here's how I do it: take a raw pork belly (hopefully from a pastured pig because so much of it is fat) unsliced. Coat with any spice mixture that you like. I used sea salt, pepper, chipotle chili powder and smoked paprika.stick in a zip lock (or a couple of them) and let it sit for at least 2 days or longer. Sharon does it for 7 days. I am not patient enough. Turn the belly over once a day. When you can't wait any longer, wrap it in foil and bake at 250 for 2 hours. Cool, slice and fry up in a cast iron skillet. If you have a smoker, you can smoke instead of bake.

Brett..there are a bunch of variations on the threads. We were quite obsessed by making bacon for a while. Do a search for bacon in the recipe or food area for all the info. I think Sharon has done the most experimenting. Here's how I do it: take a raw pork belly (hopefully from a pastured pig because so much of it is fat) unsliced. Coat with any spice mixture that you like. I used sea salt, pepper, chipotle chili powder and smoked paprika.stick in a zip lock (or a couple of them) and let it sit for at least 2 days or longer. Sharon does it for 7 days. I am not patient enough. Turn the belly over once a day. When you can't wait any longer, wrap it in foil and bake at 250 for 2 hours. Cool, slice and fry up in a cast iron skillet. If you have a smoker, you can smoke instead of bake.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but when you say "let it sit for at least two days", do you mean refrigerated or at room temp? I know many meats are cured at room temp, but I wasn't sure about this. I just bought a lovely pork belly at my winter farmers market, and am psyched to try making bacon!

Maybe this is a stupid question, but when you say "let it sit for at least two days", do you mean refrigerated or at room temp? I know many meats are cured at room temp, but I wasn't sure about this. I just bought a lovely pork belly at my winter farmers market, and am psyched to try making bacon!

Refrigerated. :)

Here's a walkthrough on bacon by Michael Ruhlman. He's also got a book that's worth getting if you are interested in curing meats. http://ruhlman.com/2010/10/home-cured-bacon-2/ (drop the sugar, and I'd probably drop the nutmeg without the sugar).

I have a basic cure going right now with black peppercorns, juniper berries, crushed garlic and bay leaves (plus the salt).