giving up wine hardest part

PSaustin

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, PSaustin said:

I just started my whole30 this week. Boy, my nightly glass of wine is proving very hard to give up. Any encouraging stories out there?

If you google 'whole30 wine' you get tons of forum posts of this exact issue and if I recall correctly, there's a couple really good stories in Success Stories on the forum about people who had given up wine after years of drinking it every day... poke around, it's not an uncommon issue here :) 

• 3 weeks later...

I felt the same way.  I make a concoction of teas and keep a 30 ounce tumbler of ice tea next to my chair and drink that.  I use two tea bags of decaf green tea and 2 tea bags of Mint Medley (Bigelow) to eight cups of water.  When I pour that over ice, it is diluted a bit.  I don't ever use sweetner of any kind in coffee or tea, so that was never as issue for me.  I love this combination of teas, and it gives water a flavor, not just plain water.  

I love dry red wines and am looking forward to adding those back in, but I am thinking not everyday.  I really don't want to go back to the way I was eating as I feel much better and healthier that I did three weeks ago.  This will get easier as you go.  Keep well hydrated and don't let yourself get too hungry.  I use red, yellow, or orange peppers as a snack, almond butter on apple slices or celery sticks, too.  

Remember, this is for 30 days and is doable.  I found no dairy to be harder simply because I use parmesan cheese as a seasoning and I love chunky Caprisi salads.  Try to remember your initial motivation, too.   I need to get my cholesterol down and losing weight would be a bonus.  I also need to lower my blood pressure a little before it becomes an issue.

Hang in there. :)

Hi! Today is my last day and wine was reallllllllly hard! :unsure:But it got easier and easier. Also drank a ton of flavored teas every night.  I only went out to dinner twice during the whole 30 and did not have any take out. ( A big deal in NYC!.) I missed bread A LOT ( i only eat bread one day a week usually and its a big production). I lost 17 lbs. ( HITT Yoga, Bikram Yoga and/or treadmill every day) and found a whole new way to eat. I really thought I was a "healthy" eater. Salads every day. Minimal snacking. Hah!

I'm going to to re intro for 3 or 4 days then keep one favorite thing (not wine!) and continue like that for the next 30 days.

Good Luck Everyone!

I just posted about this on the January 29 starters post! I miss wine very much. There have been many occasions in the last 10 days where I've said, "I could really drink a glass of wine right now." I'm just happy to see someone who feels the same as I do. Good luck!

The only two things I missed during my w30 were red wine and milk in my coffee. I thought about pouring sparkling water in a wine glass but a lot of my love of wine is the routine so I didn't do it in order to try to break the habit. I coped by not going out to dinner (only went out once and it was hard not having wine) and if my mind wandered to wine in the evenings, I'd push it out by getting up and doing something in my apartment (fold laundry, fill dishwasher) or play a game. I made a little ritual of having my sleepytime tea. I also focused on how great I felt in the mornings without a hangover or swimmy head.

Archived