Raw eggs in homemade mayo

CMB227

I was raised in the generation where licking the spoons and bowls clean of cake batter or cookie dough was a real treat.  The fact that they contained raw eggs never entered our minds.  Who knew it could be a problem?  My question is about eating raw eggs in the homemade mayonnaise I want to make.  Do we just make a leap of faith that we will not have problems with salmonella or botulism or is it better to pay the freight and buy the paleo version from the store?  Is there a way to make homemade mayo safe?

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, CMB227 said:

I was raised in the generation where licking the spoons and bowls clean of cake batter or cookie dough was a real treat.  The fact that they contained raw eggs never entered our minds.  Who knew it could be a problem?  My question is about eating raw eggs in the homemade mayonnaise I want to make.  Do we just make a leap of faith that we will not have problems with salmonella or botulism or is it better to pay the freight and buy the paleo version from the store?  Is there a way to make homemade mayo safe?

If you're concerned, you can google how to pasteurize eggs and then there is no concern for bacteria but honestly, in the years I've been on this forum, I've never heard of a single person getting sick from salmonella or botulism from raw eggs.

On 1/18/2018 at 1:36 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

If you're concerned, you can google how to pasteurize eggs and then there is no concern for bacteria but honestly, in the years I've been on this forum, I've never heard of a single person getting sick from salmonella or botulism from raw eggs.

Thank you.  I found a site on google that explained the procedure.  

On 1/18/2018 at 1:36 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Here is website that explains the process.  https://www.wikihow.com/Pasteurize-Eggs

13 minutes ago, kellik said:

How long can the homemade mayo be kept in the fridge before it needs to be used or tossed? (I love the mayo so I made a double batch!)

As long as the expiry date on the eggs usually - although most folk find that their mayo never sits around that long.... Enjoy!

Archived