So much gas. So smelly.

rozamu

Hi all. Having such a problem with gas! And it SMELLS. I (and my friends and family) need some reprieve! Hoping someone can help. 

I know you like to see what we’re eating, so here goes. 

This weeks breakfats has been: about 1 cup of arugula tossed with say 1/4 cup mayo (egg less as eggs cause stomach issues for me), 1/4# seasoned ground beef and 1/2-3-4 of a plantain cooked in ghee or coconut oil. I also salt all of this. 

Lunch has been: a medium sweet potato cooked in ghee or coconut oil, chicken, olives, sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, pesto and mushrooms. (Liberal with the cooking oil and pesto)

Dinners have ave been pretty simple: meat (steak, cod, chicken and turkey on different nights) and sweet potato with green beans or broccoli or bell pepper or cauliflower rice, always cooked with plenty of oil  

I’ve  had an issue getting enough calories in just the 3 meals so I added a banana and a half and half coconut butter/coconut oil (about 3 tablespoons). 

I am am taking probiotics and digestive enzymes  they’re aren’t anything new for me  my body definitely needs them off and on  

I think my meat has been about 6 oz at each meal (I’ve done a lot of calorie counting previously so I think my guesses are pretty accurate). The veggies are probably about 2 cups at each meal. 

I am thin (and can visually see I’ve lost weight in the 17 days I’ve been doing this) I don’t have the weight to lose and want it back! But I also need this GOD AWFUL gas gone! 

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Administrators

Are you eating anything in excess that is out of the norm? Anything new you've never had before? When do you find you're getting the gas? All the time or after certain meals?

As for unwanted weight loss, check out this article: https://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

@ladyshanny no real new foods that I can think of. I ate a big variety of foods to start with, a lot of healthy foods too. I do not usually have this much fat or protein tho. I’m afraid if I cut those out I’ll starve! The gas seems to start as soon as I eat food period. I’m going to take a look at the article you linked right now too. Thank you for some guidance here!

• Administrators

Fats can cause pretty stinky gas if you're sensitive. Try sticking with one fat type for a few days and see how it goes. If it's cooking oil, make sure you use a lot. Nuts/nut butters can also cause digestive upset.

If you do need to eat between meals, the program recommends to prioritize protein and fat, not fruit and nuts. 

@ladyshanny I haven’t had any nuts on the whole30, so no problem there. The problem is I’m only really hungry for breakfast, somewhat hungry at lunch, never hungry for dinner but eat it anyway and add a snack a bit after (not hungry for that snack either). 

Talking thru my problems usually helps me a TON. I’m beginning to think it’s too much fat and too much protein, FOR ME. And not much variety for carb choices. I tend to not do well when I eat certain things over and over and over (sweet potatoes have been a problem previously). I also find I need carbs at every meal. There aren’t a ton of great carb choices for the whole30. 

I actually want want to quit my whole30. It took me a year to get my weight and muscle where I was happy and now it’s all disappearing in front me, so quickly! I don’t feel that great (my stomach is upset most of the day, the horrible gas ...). I already broke the habit I wanted to break, which was ice cream, chocolate, peanut butter and wine EVERY night. Problem is I agreed to do the Whole30 with my Boyfriend. I would feel terrible quitting on him. I don’t know what to do at this point. 

I do do thank you greatly for all your advice. 

1 hour ago, rozamu said:

@ladyshanny I haven’t had any nuts on the whole30, so no problem there. The problem is I’m only really hungry for breakfast, somewhat hungry at lunch, never hungry for dinner but eat it anyway and add a snack a bit after (not hungry for that snack either). 

Talking thru my problems usually helps me a TON. I’m beginning to think it’s too much fat and too much protein, FOR ME. And not much variety for carb choices. I tend to not do well when I eat certain things over and over and over (sweet potatoes have been a problem previously). I also find I need carbs at every meal. There aren’t a ton of great carb choices for the whole30. 

I actually want want to quit my whole30. It took me a year to get my weight and muscle where I was happy and now it’s all disappearing in front me, so quickly! I don’t feel that great (my stomach is upset most of the day, the horrible gas ...). I already broke the habit I wanted to break, which was ice cream, chocolate, peanut butter and wine EVERY night. Problem is I agreed to do the Whole30 with my Boyfriend. I would feel terrible quitting on him. I don’t know what to do at this point. 

I do do thank you greatly for all your advice. 

Here's a good list of carb dense veggies! https://balancedbites.com/PDFs/BOOK_EXTRAS/PracticalPaleo_GuidetoPaleoCarbs.pdf 

Archived