Meal Delivery? Cooked-Concerns

onkar

So I wanted to try something different from my own cooking so thought of using meal delivery service for the next week.

When I see the ingredient list- I am worried if it is really whole 30 compliant as advertised. Note: This is listed on Whole 30 website in meal delivery section.

https://eatcooked.us/products/whole30-meal-package

Please go to January 21 meal package and check all the meals....I am not sure if it is Whole 30 compliant?? Please guide or I will cancel my order.

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, onkar said:

So I wanted to try something different from my own cooking so thought of using meal delivery service for the next week.

When I see the ingredient list- I am worried if it is really whole 30 compliant as advertised. Note: This is listed on Whole 30 website in meal delivery section.

Please go to January 21 meal package and check all the meals....I am not sure if it is Whole 30 compliant?? Please guide or I will cancel my order.

Hi - I'm sorry, it's a lot to ask for someone to go through 14 meals ingredient lists to check for compliancy... if there are specific ingredients or items you're concerned about, please list them out.  Also, apparently this is by zip code so since we don't know your zip, we can't even look at what you're specifically looking at.

That’s interesting! My god, the pictures look sooooo good- I was browsing to see if I wanted to order this for a week after I complete W30 as part of reintroduction (and a well-deserved break from cooking).  Browsing the meals, there is a pic for a “Whole30 Cauliflower Rice Taco” meal. The listed ingredients don’t state it, but the pic clearly has black beans and tortilla chips. Kind of misleading, at best. And I certainly wouldn’t want to risk $100 unless I was sure they’d get it right.

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, TJHigh said:

That’s interesting! My god, the pictures look sooooo good- I was browsing to see if I wanted to order this for a week after I complete W30 as part of reintroduction (and a well-deserved break from cooking).  Browsing the meals, there is a pic for a “Whole30 Cauliflower Rice Taco” meal. The listed ingredients don’t state it, but the pic clearly has black beans and tortilla chips. Kind of misleading, at best. And I certainly wouldn’t want to risk $100 unless I was sure they’d get it right.

I think they must be using the pictures from their standard menu and the descriptions from the Whole30 menu items because I clicked on the "Whole30 Shrimp and Chorizo Jambalaya" and the picture clearly shows it being served over rice but the description says "toasted veggie rice".

2 hours ago, onkar said:

Are they an official Whole30 Approved partner? If they're listed as a partner on the W30 page I'm pretty sure that means they're good to go!

I'm still very interested in this, because I think it'd be a nice treat after finishing a Whole 30 and starting reintroduction to take a break from cooking for a week.  So I keep stalking their offerings with an eye towards ordering it for a week in Feb, but I'm still concerned.

I selected the W30 option for the week of Feb 18 and one of the meals (that looks amazing!) is sesame meatballs with this description, "Chicken meatballs flavored with ginger and scallion tossed in a sticky sesame and mirin sauce. Served with sauteed winter greens and spirialized veggie noodles made from kholrabi, carrot and zucchini."

I'm concerned about the mirin as my understanding is that is rice wine and in my experience also has sugar.

Not sure if anyone has any other thoughts about this service, if I decide to pull the trigger and do it for reintroduction, I'll definitely post about my experience.

40 minutes ago, Worldismyoyster said:

https://eatcooked.us/products/grilled-flank-steak-with-dijon-butter-and-green-beans

well compound butter is certainly a no.

I only clicked through a couple but i'd avoid this.

and this has soy: https://eatcooked.us/products/whole30-vietnamese-style-pork-chops

The steak's compound butter is made with ghee. That's certainly ok. 

The pork chops are made with coconut aminos (I asked). 

That's why we have to do a bit of research instead of just stamping things as "compliant" or "non-compliant" just based on the name of the thing. 

This is what i was going off of: 

Ingredients-

bone-in pork rib chops, asian pears, scallions, fresno chile, Thai basil, cilantro, mint, bean sprouts, kholrabi, carrot, zucchini, lime, lemon, chili garlic sauce, rice vinegar, shallot, garlic, fish sauce, liquid aminos, vegetable oil, black pepper Allergens: fish (anchovy)

Liquid aminos to me does not mean "coconut aminos" necessarily, could be Braggs.

You're right, asking directly is obviously the best way to go, but then their ingredient descriptions do leave something to be desired.

I understand that's what you were going off of. 

That's why, when I posted, I included (I asked) referring to the coconut aminos. Because I contacted them and asked. I also recommended that they change it to say "coconut aminos" instead, but that's irrelevant. 

Regarding the steak, you said "well compound butter is certainly a no". Compound butter is fine if it's made with ghee, which is what is listed in the ingredients. 

• Administrators

Hey guys, good work on questioning and verifying. There do appear to be some inconsistencies on this Whole30 Approved partner website which I have raised to Melissa. 

Keep asking questions and checking on ingredients and recipes..........it only serves you well!

I'll post back here once I have an answer/statement about what is going on.

@TJHigh @Worldismyoyster @laura_juggles @racheleats @onkar

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Babsie95 said:

It does look great but I was just looking for fun and one of the items on the upcoming weeks menu did list quinoa in the ingredients. Just fyi, I think it was the Chile rellenos

Yep, you're right about that... I think they just forgot to take it out of the description as it looks like they use the same pictures and descriptions from their standard menu for the Whole30 items.  @ladyshanny are you able to add that one to the message to Melissa?  https://eatcooked.us/collections/01-28-2018/products/turkey-picadillo-chilles-rellenos

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Yep, you're right about that... I think they just forgot to take it out of the description as it looks like they use the same pictures and descriptions from their standard menu for the Whole30 items.  @ladyshanny are you able to add that one to the message to Melissa?  https://eatcooked.us/collections/01-28-2018/products/turkey-picadillo-chilles-rellenos

Yep, done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 26/01/2018 at 1:56 PM, ladyshanny said:

Hey guys, good work on questioning and verifying. There do appear to be some inconsistencies on this Whole30 Approved partner website which I have raised to Melissa. 

Keep asking questions and checking on ingredients and recipes..........it only serves you well!

I'll post back here once I have an answer/statement about what is going on.

@TJHigh @Worldismyoyster @laura_juggles @racheleats @onkar

Hey all, I took a quick look and clicked through 4-5 recipes from each week of the Cooked Whole30 menu and it looks like they've cleaned up their act. They appear to be working on new pictures, edited out non-compliant recipes and did better proof-reading on their descriptions and ingredients. Please let us know if anything looks funny to you. I did click through a lot of them but I'm at work and couldn't go through every single one.

@ladyshanny Thank you so much for following up!  I’m still planning on trying this out during my reintro after I get back from the long weekend, since I won’t be able to do my normal meal prep over the weekend (and frankly, I am in desperate need of a cooking break.) so I’ll come back the week of Feb 18th and let you know how it works out!

Ok everyone, I'm pulling the trigger!  Just purchased the lunches and dinners for next week.  I'm very excited to see what will turn up, especially about portion size.  You're right @ladyshanny, it does look like they've edited descriptions to be more accurate.  I'm in the middle of reintros, with a weekend slow-roll trip to Vegas, and then plan to do a Whole 7 upon my return.  It's definitely nice to have this option so I won't have to worry about what I have in the fridge to eat upon my return.

Once it arrives, I'll def post to this thread with my impressions.  Maybe I'll even remember to take pics!

You guys! I did it- ordered the four day of meals for this week and they came today.  Just in time, the package arrived at about 6:30, and I wasn’t going to be able to hold out much later.

I got four lunches and dinners, although to be honest, I can’t really tell a lunch from a dinner, not that it matters.  I didn’t spend a lot of time mulling my choices, I just grabbed one that looked good- the chicken mojo bowl over shredded veggies and a peach/citrus salsa.  Very good, and a perfectly sized portion. That was the only thing I was worried about- that it’d be too small, but it was perfect.  Only complaint is that it needed salt, but that was easy enough to fix (and I’m probably an over salter anyway.

I’m excited to see how the rest are, but frankly, if they’re half as good as the one I had tonight, it’d def be worth it.  Suuuuuch a relief not to cook this week! 

Oh, and I did a quick glance at all the ingredients, and they all looked compliant!

Here’s a pic of tonight’s (might not be the most photogenic dish in the world).

247FB723-3E78-4C6A-9BB8-4206ADCAF0B3.jpeg

Yup, this is def good stuff- I’m very happy with my purchase. I had a long day at work, and my husband was working late, so it was very nice to know I was coming home to a compliant meal, that was yummy, and didn’t require cooking on my part, OR dishes.

The only downside I can see is if you have other people to feed that aren’t doing Whole30 (so it would kind of be “wasted” on them.). It worked for me this week bc my husband ate at the office the last two nights, and tomorrow I’ll likely make hm fend for himself as well, but if I had to feed him too, not sure if it’d be as enjoyable.  I could def see ordering just the lunches or doing it during a time he’s traveling.

Here’s more pics!

Chicken adobo with veggies and two sauces/dressings, and Thai beef salad.  Both amazing! 

84237CFB-5448-4AFE-B2DF-6C7CED86403B.jpeg

042FF770-4D0F-4FC7-9ABF-5F07FCFD5082.jpeg

Final verdict on my four days of Cooked- I loved it! It was literally just what I needed as far as motivation and a cooking break during a long month of reintros.  All the meals I received were compliant, in spite of the concerns raised at the beginning of this thread- they clearly list all the ingredients on each meal.  I would definitely recommend this to someone in the middle of their W30, not just during reintroduction. For me, I can see it being a great option if and when I ever need just a brief reset- all the meals I had were so good, it def would feel like a treat rather than a hardship. 

Here’s a final pick of the last meal (and my favorite)!

56B4BB92-0097-4EA1-ADA6-D1A8304DE85C.jpeg

@Babsie95 good questions.  I was concerned about that too, but I found the portions to be perfect, although I’m not a big eater.  But when I emptied the package onto one of my regular-size plate, it more than filled it up- lots of protein and veggies.  I will say I think only two of the eight dishes had starchy veggies, so if you regularly want that, you would have to supplement.

Archived