Whole thirty and surgery

Hi I am a 39 year old mom who has had the vertical sleeve operation (similar to bypass just not the small intestine to put it simply.) i am a healthy weight and workout all the time, I LOVE IT! I will say I replaced my food addiction with excercise. I also have PCOS and a very recently found lump in my breast. While the radiologist says maybe benign he couldn't be sure for another TWO years of testing and my OB/gyn said NOPE! You are seeing a breast cancer dr. She got me in rather quickly and I see him Monday. This has put a lot of things in my life in perspective. I bought the whole 30 book knowing that A) it is NOT A cure for cancer but it is definitely not going to hurt me (sugar has been showen to "feed" cancer) and B.) I need to get my life, sorry, healthy back on track! So I was planning on starting in 1 week, but tonight I decided to wait to see what the dr says. My OB told me if he wants to remove it that it would give me an answer now and not in two years so if he suggests surgery my husband and I decided to do it. Okay so onto my question

how long should I wait after surgery (if I have to have it) to start whole 30? Keep in mind it is a relatively minor surgery. I am feeling so out of control of my life and health right now I need to plan even if it's just a start time frame!

Thank you so much!

• Moderators

Welcome. I'm sorry you're going through this -- hopefully it turns out to be benign, but I know the stress of waiting for an answer sucks.

As for Whole30, you can really start whenever you're comfortable starting. There's nothing about doing Whole30 that's going to be bad for you, before or after surgery. What might be difficult if you're the primary cook in the family is having the energy post-surgery to cook, and if the incision is somewhere that makes movement painful or difficult (which it may not be, depending on exactly what they'd need to do), you might find it painful to be chopping vegetables or lifting pots and pans. There are ways around both of those things -- you could put together frozen meals now that once you're done with surgery could be tossed into a pan or crockpot to cook. You can buy pre-chopped vegetables when you're starting out if you don't feel you have the energy to chop them. 

If you want to kind of do a soft start, you could start trying out recipes now, or cutting out things like dairy and grains when you cook at home but not stress about foods when you're eating out. This might help you feel like you're starting to take steps to take control of things, without having to be super strict right now when stress could make it harder to focus on a big change like this. That would also mean when you do start, you've already got some ideas for recipes, you might have already bought some of the ingredients you might want to use, and maybe it won't seem like as big a deal. 

Thanks so much. That makes sense to do. I feel ready to start emotionally and like what you just said reduces a lot of my stress. Just even meal planning is helpful. I definitely think I will be doing a soft start and then going whole (30) hog when I know if, when and how this whole thing plays out

Archived