Blood Disorders

I have a medical condition called Leiden Factor V this means my blood clots too much, because of this I will be taking blood thinners for the rest of my life. While on Coumadin (warfarin) I have to avoid all vegetables with Vitamin K which includes a lot! Any advice for this? Anyone else taking blood thinners trying this? Thanks!

After briefly searching this forum, I'm surprised that no one else has made mention of anticoagulant therapies and vitamin K restriction! My Mom has the very same genetic condition as you and suffered a pulmonary embolism as a result of it last summer. She now has to be on coumadin (Warfarin) for the rest of her life as a preventative measure for future thromboembolic events. I have been sharing my enthusiam with my mother about the Whole30 challenge and I geuinely think she could reap the benefits of it, but catering to her genetic condition would be tough, as there are A LOT of vegetables she can't have. I would love to see more input on this and I'll definitely pass along some information if I find some.

List of vegetables I found that are low in vitamin K:

-Artichokes

-Beets (cold beet soup...mmm)

-Green beans

-Carrots

-Cucumber (if peel is removed)

-Eggplant

-Mushrooms

-Onion

-Green pepper

-Radish

-Yellow squash

-Sweet potato (yay!!!)

-Tomato

Also, I have learned that you do not have to necessarily avoid foods with Vitamin K while you're on an anticoagulant therapy, you just have to consume a consistent amount of it. It may be a good idea to discuss your diet with your physician and possibly increase your dosage to compensate for your consumption of Vitamin K.

Hope that helps!

I, too, am on Coumadin forever. It's very frustrating when the stuff that's good for you is on the "do not eat" list. Prior to starting this way of eating (last week) I have been able to manage and have good #'s on blood tests. I hope this new way of eating lets me continue good #'s. I am very sedentary because of multiple hip problems, walk with use of a crutch, and want to feel better.That's why I'm here. My son is my supporter, and that's a good thing.

• 9 months later...

I am joining this list as of yesterday, I am a warfarin baby. Until I build it up, I am on clexane shots. For no apparent reason to the medical profession, I got Thromboplebitis in a varicose vein in my calf, leading to DVT and noticed my running was crap. CT scan and chest xray later, I have blood clot on my posterior right lung, YAY.

Six months and we will see how I go. I was told to not eat massive amounts of Vitamin K veg as in no cabbage soup diets, no only eating broccoli as my only veg of choice, just regular amounts with other veg.

So I am seeing how I go Whole30

The Vitamin K messes with your warfarin dose (makes you clot more) so altering it up or down may mean you need to alter your warfarin dose to match and your doctor may not want to increase your dose. Some doctors will monitor you and take daily blood tests so you can add in more Vitamin K and adjust the dose accordingly. If you can't take tests daily, be careful when making changes as it can change very rapidly.

Dark green veggies (spinach, kale, cabbage, broccoli) are usually pretty high in Vitamin K, but high amounts of things like lettuce can do it too. Some non-green things have surprising levels of Vitamin K.

Some veggies come in other colours, like white and yellow zucchini.

I'd review this content with your doctor for accuracy, but this page has lots of info:

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/low-vitamin-k-foods-for-a-coumadin-warfarin-diet.php

• 3 years later...

I have been on blood thinners now for two years and will be for life.  I had a massive blood clot from my calf to my stomach.  My philosophy on blood thinners was never to avoid anything and to continue to eat vegetables.  The medicine should be catered to you and your eating habits.  My doctor told me from day one that it is to fit my lifestyle and not the other way around.  You should not have to all together avoid vegetables and fruits due to the vitamin K levels.  I still enjoy a spinach and kale salad as I had before.   Everything should be done in moderation and you should be conscious of what you are eating.  In addition, your blood levels should be monitored closely.  

I do take a 12.5 mg dose everyday but I would rather take a bit more medicine and be regulated than avoid foods that I love. 

I completed my first whole 30 and continued to eat vegetables without limitations.  I had no issues regulating my INR levels while on the Whole 30 and would recommend it to anyone!  

Archived