Discouraged- no results!

I started the Whole 30 January 1 motivated by two things. I hoped to :

1. Clear up my acne

2. Get rid of my IBS-like symptoms. ***TMI WARNING** About a year and a half ago I began have  loose, messy stools. No cramping or other stomach pain but gassy. Mostly I just go once a day but these messy stools are a pain, I don't feel satisfied after going and can't seem to get clean after them. Not to mention my bottoms hurts almost all the time from them.  I spent the last year eliminating food groups one at a time with no results. Whole 30 is my first time eliminating them all at the same time. 

But my skin looks terrible and I am still having the exact same stools. So sad and frustrated. What does the Whole 30 program recommend for people who didn't see any results?

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, lauramichele said:

I started the Whole 30 January 1 motivated by two things. I hoped to :

1. Clear up my acne

2. Get rid of my IBS-like symptoms. ***TMI WARNING** About a year and a half ago I began have  loose, messy stools. No cramping or other stomach pain but gassy. Mostly I just go once a day but these messy stools are a pain, I don't feel satisfied after going and can't seem to get clean after them. Not to mention my bottoms hurts almost all the time from them.  I spent the last year eliminating food groups one at a time with no results. Whole 30 is my first time eliminating them all at the same time. 

But my skin looks terrible and I am still having the exact same stools. So sad and frustrated. What does the Whole 30 program recommend for people who didn't see any results?

It's possible that there are items in your diet that are allowed on the Whole30 that do not agree with your digestion or skin... maybe if you can give us a run down on what you've been eating including portion sizes, specific veggies, fruit, fat and protein per meal, fluid intake etc... 

Have you seen any other changes? Better mood, better sleep, better control over cravings etc?  If you google 'whole30 NSV checklist' you'll get our checklist of two pages of things you may be experiencing as positive changes.  Sometimes physical issues like skin and digestion take longer than 30 days (or 23 which is what day you're on right?) but there are tons of other changes that we can see.

I also recall that you're taking a medication that has a side effect of giving you loose stools.  If you're still taking this medication, then that's one reason why your bathrooming would not have improved... if you have to take a medication that gives you symptoms, the Whole30 is not going to clear those up.

Yes- I should not have been all doom and gloom. I have noticed better sleep and more energy. I guess I was just putting all my eggs in the skin and digestion basket! 

My diet: Breakfast: 2 eggs with avocado and salsa, banana with almond butter. Lunch salad with chicken or salami, sunflower seeds, dried fruit and hardboiled egg, dinner meat and veggies snacks: lara bars, apple with almond butter, handful of cashews or pistachios. 

For skin and digestion that may take longer than 30 days does that mean we should continue the diet longer than 30 days?

And thank you for your help! Whoops, I realized I wasn't as specific with my diet as you asked. 2 eggs cooked in a tablespoon of ghee in the morning. another egg with lunch, and i would say 1/4-1/2 lb meat on salad! Probably two tablespoons of sunflower seeds. For drinks- tea and water, that is it! No caffeine. 

• Moderators

Okay ditch the nuts, nut butters and seeds right away - they are known gut disruptors so they're probably not doing you any favors.  Also the fruit and dried fruit, while tasty, is not going to be helping with your digestion.

The template asks for 3 meals a day spaced 4-5 hours apart and no snacking so the fact you've got a long list of snacks tells me you're probably not eating enough at your meals.  Additional to that is that when eggs are your sole source of protein at a meal, it's as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping so your breakfast is lacking in protein and veggies but includes fruit and nut butter so that's not your best bet.

As far as how long things take, yes some conditions take longer, depending on where you came from diet wise prior to the Whole30 as well as what the inner state of your body is (the more auto immune and other conditions or issues people have, the longer the healing process takes).  Now again, the Whole30 isn't going to remove medication side effects but if you try and remove the fruit and nuts and seeds and dried fruits (and larabars which are dried fruit and nuts) and eat three template meals a day with at least a fist sized serving of starchy carb, you might start to feel better.  Starchy carb will help bind things up in the gut department - I find plantains are the most effective for me for this but experiment with different ones.

I agree with SugarCube here - you are very likely making your gut and acne issues worse with all of those nuts and dried fruit! I have a strong gut but even I can't handle dried fruit - it *TMI* shoots right through me and gives me the worst, most inconsistent and upsetting bowel movements for up to two days, even on just one serving of dates or dried pineapple. 

Secondly, nuts are not only inflammatory to the gut, they also cause hyper-production of sebum in your oil glands which exacerbates acne. I usually see a pattern between tummy upset and acne after having a handful of walnuts or cashews. I would also ditch the salami on your salad - even if it is Whole30 approved, salami is fart city for most belly which it doesn't sound like you need right now. Something like a can of water-based tuna will go down much more gently. 

Archived