Day 4 woes

LizM3

Hello Whole30 friends! Excited to be here! I am taking this journey with my Aunt, and we are both having uncomfortable jolts to our system (of course). We are on day 4 (understand there’s an adjustment period), and she is still having major migraines, and I still have terrible acid reflux. We’ve both had these for the past 3 days (day 1 was fine). Will these end soon? Does anyone have suggestions to help get rid of either of these things? Thank you!!

• Administrators

Hi @LizM3 - sorry you two aren't feeling well. It's really hard to say why that might be when you haven't given any information about what you're eating, timing, portions, sleep, exercise, stress etc. Sometimes we can review to see if anything stands out that you can alter to have a smoother transition. How does Whole30 differ from your previous diet? 

Does your aunt normally get migraines? Is acid reflux a problem for you historically? These are generally not symptoms one acquires out of the blue.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! Our diets were both terrible before we started (lots of carbs, Cheese, sugar, and alcohol) and we both work in the fashion industry....extremely high stress. She is prone to migraines, and I am prone to acid reflux. We figured this is why our bodies were responding to this healthier life in these ways. 

• Administrators

OK, that makes sense. You still haven't given any specific information for us to review and possibly provide feedback to get you feeling better so our general recommendations are that you stick to the meal template (linked below), eat enough food (ie, no restricting), leave fruits alone unless they are part of your meal, drink enough water (1/2 ounce per pound of bodyweight), salt your food and give yourself a break. Rest if you can. For both migraine headaches and acid reflux, if you have medications that you would normally use, go ahead and use them. 

I am on Day 4 also and Day 4 of migraines. I am a migraineur and have started Whole30 to get to know potential triggers. These headaches are throbbing and sickening and I hope they end soon! (I have been taking my prescription meds to be able to function these last 4 days.) I use added salt routinely, but could be drinking more water! If these migraines continue, I'm afraid I'll run out of my meds.....:(

I’m so sorry you’re feeling so yucky also! Great news....there’s light at the end of the tunnel! My acid reflux disappeared on day 5, as did my Aunt’s migraines! They popped up for her again on day 7, but went away the next day. We are now on day 10 and feeling great! Hang in there! :) 

Hey all.  I'm on day 4 and yesterday, last night, my head started throbbing like crazy.  I ended up, once asleep, sleeping 10 hours.  Today is not going well at all.  Just surprised how extreme some of the symptoms are.  The headache is the worst (I'm not a headache person normally) but lightheaded, foggy, all that "flu" stuff.   Today, I woke at 1PM after not being able to sleep, then had chia bowl with banana and blueberries and an egg.  Really not very hungry.  Trying to drink lots of water.   Finally read some stuff, and started really drinking tons of water, some bone broth, intaking salt.   at 4:00 I had a cup of bone broth, full advocado, salmon sashimi, some cashew butter, and more water. 

I think I might be feeling somewhat better but is it normal to feel this lousy?  

Coming into it I'm not a soda drinker or really junkfood eater.  Plenty of carbs, dairy, etc. And drink about two beers a night.  

• Administrators
Just now, SurfFitSoon said:

Hey all.  I'm on day 4 and yesterday, last night, my head started throbbing like crazy.  I ended up, once asleep, sleeping 10 hours.  Today is not going well at all.  Just surprised how extreme some of the symptoms are.  The headache is the worst (I'm not a headache person normally) but lightheaded, foggy, all that "flu" stuff.   Today, I woke at 1PM after not being able to sleep, then had chia bowl with banana and blueberries and an egg.  Really not very hungry.  Trying to drink lots of water.   Finally read some stuff, and started really drinking tons of water, some bone broth, intaking salt.   at 4:00 I had a cup of bone broth, full advocado, salmon sashimi, some cashew butter, and more water. 

I think I might be feeling somewhat better but is it normal to feel this lousy? 

Hi @SurfFitSoon - sleeping longer hours and feeling foggy and sort of flu-ey is common. Being sick isn't.

Without knowing what you've been eating the last four days, it's hard to give you any sort of feedback. Post a few days worth of your food, fluids, sleep, stress, exercise etc in a new thread in Troubleshooting and we'll see if anything stands out.

Just as an aside, that chia pudding is not compliant to the program.

Archived