Formerly known as Ceerock

cynrok

Hi all, I'm back! Took a break from Whole30 after I realized it was causing me to lose my vision. I found out this can happen to diabetics who suddenly go very low-carb. Ate non-Whole30 carbs for one day (yes, I mean cake!) and vision was back to perfect instantly--crazy! But in the long run low-carb is a good thing and I'm told the vision thing is temporary while my body adjusts to new sugar levels and vision will return to normal after a few weeks of low-carb. Moving forward I will be making sure to have fruit with every meal and potentially fruit as a snack as well, depending on my blood sugar levels, per doctor's orders, and will just keep using those CVS glasses until vision returns to normal!

So, I restarted...I was on Day 17 I think? And I restarted on Sunday, so this is Day 4. 

B: 2 slices compliant bacon and leftover mulligatawney (based on a cook's illustrated recipe, basically stewed and then pureed chicken broth, coconut milk, carrots, potatoes, celery, onion, apple, garlic, ginger, lotsa curry powder, cumin)

L: leftover taco meat, guacamole on jicama slices (found a tiny jicama and made the paper-thin cuts on my mandolin--mini tacos!)

D: Asian chicken and green beans--so amazingly delicious. Started with this recipe but used boneless skinless thighs and did it sheet-pan style w/frozen green beans, pouring the leftover marinade over everything and baking for 40 minutes...the beans were so tasty after soaking up all that delicious marinade!

Feels good to be back with a plan that works for me.

Well, Whole30 is not meant to be low carb as written, but it can turn out that way for many people when they cut out grains and sugars.  There are plenty of carby vegetables that are a good fit for the program.

But, either way, glad you've found a pattern that is working for you!

slept late this morning, which i never do. usually my sinuses get me up early every morning because it's so uncomfortable to lie down with a stuffy nose. but while on whole30 that problem goes away, thanks to lower blood sugar. but this means i sleep later and miss trains....meanwhile, fasting blood sugar this morning was 20 points lower than yesterday. 

my husband has requested i make last night's asian chicken and string beans again tonight--it was a total hit!

B: 2 eggs, 2 slices compliant bacon, banana and blueberries. i find that the sugar-free bacon does not inspire me to eat more and more and more like traditional bacon does. it's not hard to stop. so it's more expensive, but lasts longer because i don't have another...then another...then another.

L: (will be) leftover Asian chicken

D: not sure but may be more Asian chicken!

my day has progressed as planned above, though instead of more asian chicken i've made a sort of deconstructed gyro--loose ground beef w/onion, tomato, garlic, greek seasoning on a salad bed with coconut-milk tzatziki and chopped cucumber and olives. i discovered the wonder that is garlic-stuffed kalamata olives. thankfully the taste is so strong--though delicious--that i can't eat many in one sitting. but wow is that a flavor punch.

also i mixed up a batch of liar bars from nom nom paleo (here is the recipe in ball rather than bar form: https://www.mastercook.com/app/recipe/WebRecipeDetails?recipeId=9391554) and oh boy would these things be crack to someone who is a sweets addict. luckily i don't have much of a sweet tooth and i made them up just as something to use if my sugar gets too low. i'm also sending some along with my husband who is on a long flight tomorrow. healthy in-flight snack!

19 hours ago, AnitaC said:

I only use it in the winter as our summers are very humid. I have a nice quiet one that I got from Bed Bath and Beyond that sits beside my bed and runs all the time when I'm home.

has whole30 improved your sinuses? i woke up today not stuffy at all. mine are really linked to blood sugar more than anything, though. high blood sugar gives any infection plenty of fuel to thrive. but i really want to see if giving up dairy helps as well. there are people who swear that giving up dairy got rid of their allergies, while doctors say there's no evidence of that.

I attribute breathing through the night to my humidifier. I'm not willing to stop using it to see if the Whole30 has anything to do with congestion and sinuses. Before I bought it in November, I'd wake up stuffed up, then get nose bleeds and my skin was cracking. I have a small place so I keep it by the bed, where I want the humidity the most. It's nothing that makes my hair frizz or leaves wetness on the dresser, it dissipates in the air but it just adds much needed moisture.

7 hours ago, AnitaC said:

I attribute breathing through the night to my humidifier. I'm not willing to stop using it to see if the Whole30 has anything to do with congestion and sinuses. Before I bought it in November, I'd wake up stuffed up, then get nose bleeds and my skin was cracking. I have a small place so I keep it by the bed, where I want the humidity the most. It's nothing that makes my hair frizz or leaves wetness on the dresser, it dissipates in the air but it just adds much needed moisture.

my skin's cracking too. i should get one for both sinuses and skin.

Day 6 went well. Finally got a Costco membership in the hopes of getting cheaper organic meats in bulk--jackpot! I can't believe the prices. I eat a lot of frozen berries too, which are also expensive organic--but at $9 for a 4-lb bag of organic blueberries, i've practically made back my membership fee already in savings!

B: 2 sausages, leftover mulligatawney

L: leftover deconstructed gyro + veggies

D: leftovers (see above)

Costco is the best!

They have garlic stuffed olives which are AMAZING!

Their low sodium bacon should be compliant (check first, obvs)

Avocado oil, coconut oil, compliant sausage, high quality frozen broccoli

Post-Whole30 their rotisserie chickens are probably the best deal in the store 

ooh i will definitely have to look out for the garlic-stuffed olives. i did see some olives but they were just plain kalamata. maybe in another area. i couldn't find sheet pans either--i need some and was told they have some good cheap ones there. i felt rushed, though, as the place was PACKED and i wanted to get out of there. i loaded up on 13 lbs of meat and 8 pounds of berries and got out of there! next time i hope to be there at a less crowded time and will take my time perusing.

Day 7 has gone well. i am about to leave to go to wrestlemania...um, yeah. not something i have ever desired to do in my life but it's my nephew's 8th bday and this is where he wanted to go! so i ate dinner a bit early before i go, though i don't think any concession food will tempt me...$12 hot dogs not really all that attractive.

B: sauteed cajun potatoes and sausage (took a chance on compliant "organic roasted garlic chicken sausage" at costco--i ate one by itself and was not impressed, so i chopped them up into small bits and sauteed them with potatoes and onions and cajun seasoning--delish! i was afraid i wasted money on the costco jumbo pack but they taste great in this combination.

L: leftover sauteed potatoes and sausage! and blueberries.

D: leftover gyro

...and, i'm out!

Day 8

Weird, lazy day. No appetite, and low on veg. Got in late last night and woke up late.

B: coffee w/coconut milk

L: macadamia nuts and 1/2 cup berries

D: oven-baked chicken wings w/homemade buffalo sauce--perhaps my favorite meal EVER. so delicious. 1 cup berries.

Yeah...not a big appetite today, and need more veg. Ran out. Need to shop. Not feeling great. Hope I'm not getting the flu. 

thanks, i'm doing better today. no flu at least, which was my fear! i think getting in so late screwed up my circadian rhythms or something--i tend to go to bed early every night but didn't get home until nearly 1am thanks to event traffic.

B: leftover sausage, onion, potato hash

L: leftover chicken wings + spring mix w/primal kitchen greek dressing

D: i plan to make these salisbury meatballs https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-salisbury-steak-meatballs-whole30/  but if i don't have the energy it'll be leftover hash

Day 10

Today was weird. Felt like I was wading through water on my walk from the train, very low energy.

B: sausage + potato + onion hash. 

L: leftover chicken wings

D: leftover gyro meat w/tahini sauce, salad w/spring mix, cucumber, tomato, onion, pepperoncini, and greek dressing. 1 cup berries.

for some reason i am envying vegans the past couple of days, it's weird...probably as an escape from all of this MEAT. i've always been a meat-eater but i'm just getting grossed out by it all of a sudden. i guess when you're buying raw and handling it yourself it creates a different mindset than just ordering up something at a restaurant. i think @CaveMomexpressed a similar sentiment at around this time in her whole30. i am seriously considering going vegan after finishing this 30. 

Day 11--headachy and tired today. have not slept well the past few days, keep waking up every 2 hours. not sure what that's about.

B: leftover sausage-potato-onion hash

L: salisbury steak meatballs (see recipe above--good but i'll use less mustard next time) and sauteed green beans, 1 cup berries (by the way, now i'm feeling even better about my costco purchase of 8 lbs of frozen berries: https://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/frozen-blueberries-better-you-fresh)

D: will be repeat of lunch, probably sans berries

1 hour ago, cynrok said:

salisbury steak meatballs (see recipe above--good but i'll use less mustard next time)

That's good to know.  Did you like the recipe enough that you'd double it next time? 

Hope you feel better and that you get some good sleep tonight.

Archived