influenza with a pity party

I'm a full week into the flu. Not a stomach bug, but the real nasty flu. I'm exhausted, but I've made it to day 19. I've managed to continue to cook for me and my family, but I am so tired. I made a big batch of chicken soup, but don't want to eat any more of it. Not really digging the pulled pork at this point. Oh, and if I want to stay on plan, I have to do the cooking. So instead of resting, I cook. I'm bound and determined to finish, I only have 11 more days, but ...Oh! did I mention that the microwave died too so any meat from the freezer has to be pulled out in the morning? Yep. I've hit a stumbling block and need help getting over it. 

Last night, the whole family got take out (yummy teriyaki takeout), and I had leftovers. Now lunch is here and I just want a big drippy messy Dusty Burger with fries. I won't have it because, well, I'm quarantined at home. Ice cream sounds great too. I just want to go back to work and I can't.

Any suggestions for easy meals? BTW, I'm allergic to beef, so that's one protein down.

thanks in advance

• Moderators

Sorry you're not feeling well.

There are loads and loads of conversations and recipe ideas for easy meals all over this forum so instead of us retyping them, try looking through the recipes tab... there are recipes written out and linked as well as various websites mentioned that have easy meals.

26 minutes ago, dizilizi said:

so any meat from the freezer has to be pulled out in the morning?

It sucks that you're not getting any help when you're sick. Hope you get better soon.

A trick to defrosting meat quickly is to put it on a flat surface, then fill a pot with water (enough to give it the weight you need) and place it on top of the meat. It'll thaw a frozen steak in 30 minutes. Chicken is a little harder because it's not always flat but with enough support and prayers, it'll stay.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, AnitaC said:

It sucks that you're not getting any help when you're sick. Hope you get better soon.

A trick to defrosting meat quickly is to put it on a flat surface, then fill a pot with water (enough to give it the weight you need) and place it on top of the meat. It'll thaw a frozen steak in 30 minutes. Chicken is a little harder because it's not always flat but with enough support and prayers, it'll stay.

I've never heard of this but I'm intrigued!  So you basically just weigh down your frozen item and it magically defrosts??

Just now, SugarcubeOD said:

I've never heard of this but I'm intrigued!  So you basically just weigh down your frozen item and it magically defrosts??

Yep. I'm not kidding. I googled "how to thaw meat quickly" because I hate doing it in the microwave and that solution was the first hit. I was skeptical but it's some kind of magic that happens. Just make sure the pot is wider than the meat and is heavy-ish. I don't know the science, nor do I care to learn but it works.

• Moderators
Just now, AnitaC said:

Yep. I'm not kidding. I googled "how to thaw meat quickly" because I hate doing it in the microwave and that solution was the first hit. I was skeptical but it's some kind of magic that happens. Just make sure the pot is wider than the meat and is heavy-ish. I don't know the science, nor do I care to learn but it works.

I'm totally going to try this!  I don'w own a microwave so I usually either change plans if the thing is still frozen or I put it in a ziploc bag in a tepid water bath but my sink slowly drains so it's not ideal.

6 hours ago, AnitaC said:

Not sure if it would work for ground pork or beefalo. I usually thaw chicken and fish in the sink with running water. 

7 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Sorry you're not feeling well.

There are loads and loads of conversations and recipe ideas for easy meals all over this forum so instead of us retyping them, try looking through the recipes tab... there are recipes written out and linked as well as various websites mentioned that have easy meals.

I"ll take a look. I have both Nom Nom books plus the app, I have Well Fed 1 and 2, as well as the Whole 30 book. I'm not really hurting for recipes, just whole30 compliant recipes my kids and husband can cook. Leftovers for dinner tonight because I just don't want to cook tonight.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, dizilizi said:

whole30 compliant recipes my kids and husband can cook.

None of these are terribly exciting, but they'd work in a pinch -- scrambled eggs -- buy baby spinach or chop up zucchini or yellow squash to add to them or to serve on the side.  Hamburger patties -- I keep these in my freezer, the ones I buy are not always grass fed, but are compliant, I've found a couple of different brands that work in the frozen meat section -- there are instructions on the box on how to cook them from frozen. My store is usually good about having burger patties in the fresh meat section too if you don't want to do frozen. Either way, they can cook them easily with just some salt and pepper on them, fix some vegetables, maybe throw a fried egg on top of the patty or saute onions and mushrooms to go on top to be more like a smothered steak. Frozen vegetables, or prechopped fresh one, are easy to either steam in the microwave or stir fry in a skillet on the stove. Have you ever checked your store's rotisserie chicken selection? My store always has some out, although there's only one version of them that's Whole30 compliant, maybe your store has one that will work and no one would have to cook. There's also compliant hot dogs or sausages -- Applegate makes some compliant hot dogs, and Aidell's and I think Bilinski's makes some compliant sausages (both make varieties that are not, someone would have to check the labels). Those technically wouldn't need to be cooked at all, they're already pre-cooked, although they certainly taste better heated up.

Sorry you are feeling so bad. Flu can really lay you low.  

Sounds like you have some great recipe books that have lots of W30 recipes.  Is there a reason your family cannot look at these and pick out some to cook or assemble for you?  I don’T know how old your children are but they may be able to help plan and prepare food.  They may enjoy it and feel empowered by the experience.  Ditto your husband.   

if your local markets have fresh  pre-cut veggies, this can help.  More expensive but maybe worth it for a week or two. Canned meats can be good - tuna, chicken, salmon, etc.  everything does’t have to be frozen.  Precooked chicken at the market is a great idea.  Salads are easy to put together.  

Feel better soon.  Taking care of yourself is your number one priority.  

Archived