New member...smoothie ?

laurahm33

Hello! My husband and I are on Day 2 of our first whole30. He really struggles with vegetables, but does well with them in green smoothies. I've read the whole9 philosophy on drinking your food, and I've also checked out many blogs where people include smoothies daily while on whole30. I know that I can double his vegetable intake each day if he had green smoothies (spinach, kale, berries, coconut milk or water, an occasional banana)...is this legal? acceptable? thanks!

Smoothies are not compliant. There was a post about them yesterday as a matter of fact.

If you search on "smoothie" you will find a whole bunch of posts and the reasons. It is time for your husband to learn to enjoy veggies the good old fashioned way. By chewing :).

Smoothies are discouraged for several reasons. First, your body interprets drinking food differently than chewing it. You don't get the same satiety affect. Also, you can overdo even good foods. When you take what goes into a smoothie and put it on a plate, it's more than likely more than you would normally eat. This is the time to improve your relationship with foods. I suggest checking out the recipe section for fun new ways to prepare vegetables. Well Fed has some great recipes and I saw a recipe for roasted vegetable coconut stew in Mark Sisson's new cookbook.

I am curious where you saw blogs about smoothie drinking on W30. I have only seen them discouraged. I have seen a moderator begrudgingly okay a small vegetable smoothie along with a full meal for extreme veggie haters but hopefully your husband won't have to do that.

I have cruised Pinterest and people post all kinds of crap on there claiming it's Whole30....someone even had a green smoothie and pancakes and proudly titled it "My W30 breakfast" *facepalm*

That really sucks. I'm glad my Whole whatevers begin and end here on this site. :0)

We hate it too. You have no idea how much I wish I could be the Pinterest Police. However, when you encounter. Those posts, feel free to politely and respectfully point them back to the program guidelinesq for clarification on what is and isn't acceptable on the program.

Laurahm33- we totally get that learning to eat veggies is new and terrifying for some folks, but the points made above are accurate. If it would help your hubs to have a small (read: as many veg as he would eat in a meal, not more) veggie-only smoothie with a meal of protein and fat while he's learning to eat his veg other ways, that's okay. But he really needs to be chewing them.

Thank you for the responses. Unfortunately, my husband has never been a fan of vegetables...all the way back to when he was a child. I grew up differently, eating beef raised on our farm and vegetables from our garden. I love vegetables and all the different ways to prepare them. He loves ice cream and sugar and all it's evilness! :D We both NEED to do this though, so I'm hoping he can suck it up and learn some new tastes.

My boyfriend was the same way.... he was ok with some veges, but not with most. He ate brussel sprouts last week because they tasted like bacon :) Just find a taste he likes and add veges to it. You'd be amazed what you can do to spaghetti sauce, and then they just get used to the veges little by little.

I did a Whole 30 in September and rocked it - loved it, lost a ton of weight and felt great. As soon as it was over I went back to Shakeology for breakfast (knowing it would help me...um...well, with some digestive issues I was having) - I just couldn't do it, though. It really just felt wrong after a month of real food for breakfast. Plus I realized it was a lot of sugar to start the day with. Sugar in the Shakeology, sugar in the milk and sugar in the peanut butter I was putting in it.

Obviously, smoothies aren't Shakeology but just thought I'd add this in case anyone was wondering about it.

@AKA Jane Random--that got to be my reasoning behind Slim Fast--so much sugar and junk in it I just couldn't see how it was healthy! Yea I did Slim Fast and just couldn't do it.

Laurahm33-- don't give up on your hubby eating his veg! My husband who hated tomatoes before our first whole30 loves them now and sweet potatoes too which were not his favorite to say the least. There is a chance! Maybe mix them in a soup or stew?

Ha I dabbled with slimfast - the air sparkled when you opened the tin with ll the sugar dust in the air. For real!

Oh yeah, I posted before on the pinterest smoothie pinners. I wish I could get a virtual "NOT W30" stamp that I could stamp on each one.

Holy eff, no kidding! I've seen questionable "paleo" tags on Pinterest but just now I went on there to check out "whole30" and there are a lot of smoothies and desserts. Like, "key lime pie bars" and "cinnamon rolls" kind of deal.

*facepalm*

Oh noooo! I had a smoothie for breakfast yesterday thinking I was being so good!! Does this mean that I have ruined my Whole 30 experience? What a bummer! I am on Day 3 of my Whole 30 and was excited to have such a delicious breakfast smoothie yesterday. Oh well, looks like I have really learned something and thank you all for your guidance. I will make sure to eat the fresh fruits and veggies rather than drinking them... Live and learn!!

Hello Newbie and other posters on "new member...smoothie?" I started Whole 30 on January 1 and also had my usual smoothie: a cup of organic kale, 1/2 cup organic blueberries, 1 cup organic raspberries, 1/2 banana, 1 T flax seed, 2 T unsweetened coconut and 3 T hemp seed, plus filtered water. Had one today, too. So now I have started over for tomorrow... also had Wellshire ham with vegetables yesterday, thinking it was compliant (no nitrates or nitrites either) but there is sugar on the edge. I cut that off. I don't know if that counts as okay either but I guess I will add that to the "can I have....ham" forum...to find out!

Oh noooo! I had a smoothie for breakfast yesterday thinking I was being so good!! Does this mean that I have ruined my Whole 30 experience? What a bummer! I am on Day 3 of my Whole 30 and was excited to have such a delicious breakfast smoothie yesterday. Oh well, looks like I have really learned something and thank you all for your guidance. I will make sure to eat the fresh fruits and veggies rather than drinking them... Live and learn!!

My personal thought is that since you are so close to the start, just restart and take your smoothie trip up as a learning experience.

Hello Newbie and other posters on "new member...smoothie?" I started Whole 30 on January 1 and also had my usual smoothie: a cup of organic kale, 1/2 cup organic blueberries, 1 cup organic raspberries, 1/2 banana, 1 T flax seed, 2 T unsweetened coconut and 3 T hemp seed, plus filtered water. Had one today, too. So now I have started over for tomorrow... also had Wellshire ham with vegetables yesterday, thinking it was compliant (no nitrates or nitrites either) but there is sugar on the edge. I cut that off. I don't know if that counts as okay either but I guess I will add that to the "can I have....ham" forum...to find out!

My thought is a ham with a sugar crust would also have sugar in the ham as well. Read the label every time and if there is no label or if you feel sketchy on it, leave it out. And smoothies are not compliant which you have found out but more importantly that is a TON of fruit, more than you should probably eat in a whole day, flax seeds are also not compliant. Start trying to eat meat and veggies for breakfast instead of a large dose of sugar as your first meal of the day.

Archived