Making Whole 30 my Whole Forever

Mmarzofka

Hi there!

So, I am on day 28 of my first Whole 30, and loving it!! It changed my life in so many ways, and I feel insanely happy to eat until I’m full and maintain a healthy, skinny feeling body - as well as be able to truly hear my body for one of the first times in my life.  I want to keep this pattern forever as it feels easy now, but also don’t want to forgo certain foods for the rest of my life.

The balance that sounds do-able to me is the maintain whole30 perfectly, but allow for one non whole30 meal (and allowance for 1-2 glasses of wine or cocktails) once a week. My concern is in what this will do to my body. When I researched Whole 30 (this could be totally wrong) but doesn’t your body start burning fat instead of carbs as it’s main food source? Isn’t this often referred to as ketosis? If I did a cheat meal two weeks in a row of deep dish pizza with red wine would this throw me out of ketosis for a few days and make the days I stick to my whole30 diet a complete waste? Thanks for your time please let me know if this makes any sense and if you have an answer! 

Good luck on your journey to health!!

• Moderators

This Whole30 is not concerned with ketosis and in fact we want you to be eating carbs in the form of a fist sized serving of starchy veggie every day.  Getting into or staying in ketosis is not something we generally discuss on these boards as that is not the point of the program.

Whole30 is not meant to be forever with cheat days.  It's meant for you to determine how your own eating plan is going to look going forward using the information you know about yourself from doing the reintroductions.  How will you know how wine makes you feel or the pizza crust or whatever without doing the reingtroductions?

Additionially, it's not really cheating... we want you to be empowered with your food choices and make decisions at the time of consumption as to whether or not the item you're eating is worth it (worth the stomach ache, worth the headache, worth the sluggish feeling etc...). If you make your own eating plan and then choose to drink wine and eat pizza, that's totally fine!

Check out some of the resources for after your whole30 such as the book Food Freedom Forever, some of the articles (talk Ride your own bike into google and a couple articles come up). 

Thanks Sugarcube!

I finished my Whole 30 last Thursday, 6 days ago. I decided to stay on it for now. I am feeling soooo much better and also feel like I have some distance to go to be and feel as healthy as I would like. I feel like I am finally getting into the swing of things, like - how much to eat for supper (i.e. not too much) so my tummy is empty in the morning and I can eat a proper breakfast ( today was steamed veg, avocado and a bit of my own mayonnaise, and a piece of steamed cod - perfect), making sure I have enough protein and good fat with each meal. I also have a banana for dessert at lunch. it makes a big difference to fullness and keeps me going till dinner. My other fruit I usually have some applesauce (unsweetened) after breakfast or supper.

I find any temptations I have to eat off plan are very mild, mostly it's just a thought that passes. All I have to do is remember how I was feeling before I started this, and how many times I have gone back to unhealthy eating habits. I'm determined to make this a forever thing, one day at a time of course!

Also doing some kind of exercise every day, whatever it might be. The weather is kind of cold and wet right now so mostly it's the gym. This all feels great, my clothes are looser, sleeping better, joints less stiff, gut not bloated, mind much sharper, more energy - yay!

On 1/31/2018 at 11:05 AM, sarahhovey said:

Thanks Sugarcube!

I finished my Whole 30 last Thursday, 6 days ago. I decided to stay on it for now. I am feeling soooo much better and also feel like I have some distance to go to be and feel as healthy as I would like. I feel like I am finally getting into the swing of things, like - how much to eat for supper (i.e. not too much) so my tummy is empty in the morning and I can eat a proper breakfast ( today was steamed veg, avocado and a bit of my own mayonnaise, and a piece of steamed cod - perfect), making sure I have enough protein and good fat with each meal. I also have a banana for dessert at lunch. it makes a big difference to fullness and keeps me going till dinner. My other fruit I usually have some applesauce (unsweetened) after breakfast or supper.

I find any temptations I have to eat off plan are very mild, mostly it's just a thought that passes. All I have to do is remember how I was feeling before I started this, and how many times I have gone back to unhealthy eating habits. I'm determined to make this a forever thing, one day at a time of course!

Also doing some kind of exercise every day, whatever it might be. The weather is kind of cold and wet right now so mostly it's the gym. This all feels great, my clothes are looser, sleeping better, joints less stiff, gut not bloated, mind much sharper, more energy - yay!

This is me almost exactly! I am on post day 6...and did a wine reintro on day 1 and dairy on day 4 but otherwise am eating all w30. I have little desire to stop because I feel so great and healthy! But I know I will eventually want to eat a slice of pizza with my kids once in a while, and have some ice cream/wine/chips and salsa etc when I really want. My partner and I are planning to do w30 for the rest of the month (with planned reintros) and then work on our food freedom forever plan. He is still fighting his sugar dragon on a mostly daily basis so I think he needs more time. I have very few cravings for food, my real craving is for someone to cook and clean whole30 meals for me LOL!

Nice to hear from you! I was away at a retreat over the weekend. A place I have been before where in the past I have fallen totally off the wagon and eaten everything, and felt like crap because of it. I managed to stay on track - feel quite proud of myself. I am wanting a bit more variety so am going to try some legumes this week. I'm not going to bother with "trying" things that my body can't handle, I know what happens. But there are a few things that might be okay occasionally. We'll see. 

I am struggling with this too. I want to continue riding on this train. I have 7 days left of this second round and I know eating this way is best for me and the way I feel....but I want to try and balance that with being a human being who likes to indulge in a glass of wine, a delicious burger or an Ice cream (ice cream is my most favorite food in the whole world)...and not let that derail me into junk oblivion. Luckily, I am a person who enjoys eating healthy, meal planning, and cooking. I am not worried about those behaviors changing, but rather my sugar dragon getting the best of me or me gaining weight back that I've lost, etc. I know its just something I'll have to feel out and work on...its a process...a journey. 

Anyone else have some tips/experience with this that they would like to share?

23 hours ago, calico_roan said:

I am struggling with this too. I want to continue riding on this train. I have 7 days left of this second round and I know eating this way is best for me and the way I feel....but I want to try and balance that with being a human being who likes to indulge in a glass of wine, a delicious burger or an Ice cream (ice cream is my most favorite food in the whole world)...and not let that derail me into junk oblivion. Luckily, I am a person who enjoys eating healthy, meal planning, and cooking. I am not worried about those behaviors changing, but rather my sugar dragon getting the best of me or me gaining weight back that I've lost, etc. I know its just something I'll have to feel out and work on...its a process...a journey. 

Anyone else have some tips/experience with this that they would like to share?

You sound a lot like me! I am reading Food Freedom Forever right now, and it sounds like exactly what you are talking about. Eating mostly really healthy (whole30-ish), indulging on some less-healthy foods/drinks on occasions when you decide it is worth it. I am just a week past my first whole30, still doing slow reintroductions, so I am no expert for sure, but I think the idea is that after you figure out how different foods affect you, you can consciously decide if that burger, or wine, or ice cream (yum, I too, love ice cream) is worth it, even if it has any negative consequences (physical, psychological etc)...and if  you decide it is worth it, you enjoy it without regret or remorse, and then go back to eating the things you know make you feel great. I think sugar is a hard one though, it is just so darn tough to stop once you start. But it sounds like you have many good habits, so hopefully that will help. I have not had any 'treats' yet, it almost seems easier for now to say no to it all instead of allowing 'just a little', but this is not sustainable forever. So at some point this month, after my reintros, I will likely encounter something I decide is worth it, and hopefully I'll enjoy it and it won't wake my sugar dragon. Good luck to you (and all of us) on this journey.

I am 66 and have been on this merry-go-round for too long. I am finally at the place, and age, where it just isn't worth it to have some so called "treats".

It is not a treat if my gut blows up. It is not a treat if I get a hangover. It is not a treat if I can't stop  eating ice cream and cheesies. It is not a treat if I wake up to myself some weeks or months later feeling gross again.

I at 6 weeks now and starting to feel a lot better. I decided not to weigh myself at all because that number is not the point. It's all the other things - all the things on this list:

I really like Mel Joulwan on all of this. Here is her 30 reasons to stay on Whole30. It's great.

http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/27/30-reasons-whole30-2/

Archived