Help me make softer meatballs!

littleg

• Whole30 Certified Coach

We have a 1 year old who loooooves Grammy's meatballs.  You know with breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.  I'm fine with him having some grassfed/raw parm in there but I'd rather drop the breadcrumbs.  However, my MIL's meatballs are really soft and anytime I try making meatballs for the little guy they come out pretty dense.  For example, even straight out of the fridge you can break a piece off of her meatballs with your fingers and mine need a knife... Any tips for getting a softer meatball?  I can't eat almonds so I can't use almond flour.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AnitaC said:

You mean like finely chop or mince it and blend it in as if it were bread crumbs?

Or just use it mashed/pureed.

You could try the cream of tartar/baking soda trick that Mel Joulwan uses here:   http://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/27/gyoza-meatballs/  (also, she's got a ton of meatball recipes, if you ever want to branch out and try new flavors).

3 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Or just use it mashed/pureed.

You could try the cream of tartar/baking soda trick that Mel Joulwan uses here:   http://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/27/gyoza-meatballs/  (also, she's got a ton of meatball recipes, if you ever want to branch out and try new flavors).

Oh my God!!!! I have to make those! All the joy of the delicious meat without the frustration of using wonton wrappers, I'm in. Thank you!!!!!

• Moderators
5 hours ago, AnitaC said:

Oh my God!!!! I have to make those! All the joy of the delicious meat without the frustration of using wonton wrappers, I'm in. Thank you!!!!!

Yes to @ShannonM816 suggestion to use mashed... that's what I was thinking.  If you don't want to roast a yam, buy a can of pumpkin (careful it's just pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling) and use what you need and then freeze the rest in ice cube trays or small ziploc bags for next time :)

Also, wonton soup is my favorite thing ever and now I just make wonton-esque meatballs (much like gyoza) and use chicken broth for the soup... best ever and it's not such a pain in the rear because wrapping wontons SUCKS!

• 2 weeks later...

maybe mashed white potato? I know this makes the difference for me in salmon patties...

and definitely mix as little/gently as possible. When my husband makes them they are always harder/tougher and he definitely mixes a lot more than I and that's the only difference. 

Archived