Day 22 and I just realized my mistake.

I am on Day 22 and am feeling very upset and very defeated. I'd been taking probiotics for the past couple of months in an effort to treat chronic BV. Today, I decided to research a new brand because I feel the current one isn't working enough. At the beginning of Whole30, I had cleared out my fridge and cupboards and re-read all my labels, but for SOME REASON I didn't check the probiotics! I looked at them today and right there on the label it read, "CONTAINS: MILK AND SOY." My heart sank.

Yesterday I had already hit the wall of "food boredom," but woke up this morning determined I'd get past it. This, I obviously can't get past though. I put so much time and energy into planning and cooking and avoiding certain social situations and researching restaurants. I just feel extremely disappointed and discouraged! I really didn't want to fail at this. I was initially considering a Whole60, but now I just want to go out for a cup of coffee (which I'd also given up) and a pastry to soothe myself before starting another Whole30 next week. Man, what a bummer.

I needed to let that all out; Thank you for reading.

(Also, sorry if this is the wrong forum. I wasn't sure where to put it.)

• Moderators

The 22 days you've already put in were definitely not wasted, you still did amazing things for your health by eating good foods. You were already thinking of continuing on, so hang in there and keep going. That pastry is not going to make you feel better in the long run. This is the part of Whole30 where you get the opportunity to work on changing your relationship with food and look at why you think pastry is comforting, and what else you could do instead for comfort. Coming here and posting was great. If you feel you still need to do more, what would help? Do you want to yell and scream about this? Do that! It's okay to be angry and upset. Maybe exercise would male you feel better, or meditation, or working on a hobby, or a bubble bath. Do whatever helps you to move on from this and keep going.

After I wrote my post, I got into my car and headed to my local gluten-free bakery. Half-way there, I realized I really didn't need a pastry. My craving had subsided, so I immediately turned back around. I took a walk around my neighborhood instead and just being outside helped. That was a major win for me against my relentless sugar dragon! My habits truly are changing, slowly but surely, and I can't give up now! Thank you so much for your support.

Yay! for you turning around and making a wise decision. Google 'Failure and Success quotes' and keep on going. I too am considering a W60....just feel like I may have not followed a perfect W30 even though I can't think of exact examples where I intentionally was non-compliant. Maybe consuming too many nuts and coconut flesh (in the spirit of them being a reward because I love, love them so much and have denied myself the pleasure for so many years based on belief they are too fatty) and would like to go at least 30 days without any coffee to see if I am dependent pshycologically on the morning coffee. Anyways, good for you....hang in there!

“You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.” - Johnny Cash

“The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.” - Henry Ford

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

2 hours ago, Elainedut said:

Yay! for you turning around and making a wise decision. Google 'Failure and Success quotes' and keep on going. I too am considering a W60....just feel like I may have not followed a perfect W30 even though I can't think of exact examples where I intentionally was non-compliant. Maybe consuming too many nuts and coconut flesh (in the spirit of them being a reward because I love, love them so much and have denied myself the pleasure for so many years based on belief they are too fatty) and would like to go at least 30 days without any coffee to see if I am dependent pshycologically on the morning coffee. Anyways, good for you....hang in there!

“You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.” - Johnny Cash

“The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.” - Henry Ford

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you for the encouraging words, and good luck with your Whole60! I think it's great how honest you're being with your motivations for food choices.

Archived