Rural area....

NikayaSmith

One suggestion regarding veggies. Buying one head of cabbage for the entire week wasn't sustainable from the get-go (you've said multiple times that you bought the one cabbage for your veg all week). Try buying a wide variety of veggies that can be used in multiple dishes. Think staples like onions, peppers, celery, carrots, zucchini, green beans, spinach, sweet potatoes, squash. You can "rice" heads of cauliflower and broccoli with a cheese grater (or of course, use the florets as-is). Limiting yourself to one vegetable for the entire week is going to set you up for failure.

Please consider listening to everything @ladyshanny is saying instead of declaring defeat because you've tried a few things that weren't your cup of tea. There have been so many great suggestions here, but it feels like you are not taking them in at all and have a lot of excuses - to which everyone in this thread is graciously continuing to show you how you can work around. Saying things like "I don't know what else for breakfast is allowed" after SO MANY GREAT suggestions shows that you need to do a ton more research. And re-read all of the comments. None of that is bad; we all started out needing to research and learn. Wishing you the best.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with @ladyshanny in that you need to take a step back for a bit and re-evaluate why you've decided to do a Whole 30. While you're taking this time, it might not be a bad idea to learn and become comfortable with some different cooking methods. I'm not a huge fan of Buzzfeed, but they were obsessed with sheet pan dinners for a while so they posted a lot about them. I became a fan of the sheet pan dinner, after seeing a bunch of Buzzfeed posts about them, because they're relatively quick and versatile so a lot of things can be cooked that way (including the chicken and fish you've mentioned). I've attached a couple links for some ideas to get you started for both ingredients and the cooking method. Note: I have not gone through each recipe individually to see if they're Whole 30 compliant, and the majority likely aren't, but they all seem easy enough to build off of to suit your own tastes and the program once you're more confident with the cooking method.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/marietelling/easy-sheet-pan-meals-that-wont-stress-you-out

https://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/easy-one-tray-oven-dinners

Everyone has to start somewhere. It's okay because it's part of the process that we call life. And while Whole 30 is difficult, it isn't worth starving and crying over. Good luck! :) 

I tried making ghee and failed twice. I can not afford to  throwing away butter pounds at a time. I tried twice and failed twice so I thought it would be a good idea to move on to other methods. 

I studied and prepared the entire month of January up until Sunday. I would look up four or five recipes and write down all the ingredients. I would go to the grocery store and looking for the ingredients. When I couldn’t find them, I came home and looked up new recipes to try the next week. I guess I shouldn’t have tried to find all of them. It didn’t cross my mind to try a recipe without all the ingredients.

I thought cooking a weeks worth of veggies in one Day was a staple of whole 30. Someone recommended hot plate above and I thought that was exactly what she did. Prep her food for the whole week. I must have misunderstood. I’ll go back and reread and hopefully I’ll understand it better.

I have not given up. And I won’t give up. I’ve figure out in two days that it will probably take me more than 30 days to figure out all the rules , but until then I plan to keep trying. Maybe once I do understand it I can count that as real day one. I’m not going to eat foods that are not on the list until I figure it out  though that won’t help anyone.

I’ve re-read the posts above and I still am missing whoever answered what else is allowed for breakfast besides eggs. I will read again and see if I can find it.

I see plenty dinner recipes to try. I will just leave out the ingredients I can’t find.  Like i said, that never crossed my mind. I I just can’t afford to have extra on hand. Last night’s dinner was an example. It wasn’t edible so I had to throw it out. That means i had to go without. That is just life. I didn’t mean to sound like I was making an excuse.

Hopefully tonight will go better. Instead of baked chicken, it’ll be baked catfish. I’m leaving off the milk and breadcrumbs coating and won’t be frying it in butter. Many people have suggested making the same food you always make and leaving off the Ingredients you can’t have. That’s what I’m doing tonight. Hopefully it works  

Giving up has never been an option for me. I think the problem is I don’t have enough knowledge yet. Maybe once the book becomes available I will understand more. I know people are upset with me not understanding. But I’m not going to stop trying until I get it figured out. 

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time

You've struck a chord with many of us and that's why we're all trying to help you.  We care.

Within that Walmart and Kroger  you'll find everything you need. Read the book if you want but all of the resources are in Lady Shanny's profile or signature.  Your usual fare is vegetables and meats.  The only difference is not using straight butter, you'll have to learn how to clarify it. 

You choose, you decide.  Take a break or keep going.

I'm trying to interpret your needs and goals for the Whole 30.  Not sure if you're working with food sensitivities or allergies but it's a worthwhile 30 day experience for anyone, regardless. Even if we return immediately to our former ways of eating, we still learn something from the 30 days.

P.S. We posted at exactly the same time.  I had no idea you were right above me.:)

What's allowed for breakfast beside eggs? Whatever you eat for lunch or dinner. Really. It can take a while to get used to it, but think of it as "meal 1" instead of breakfast. Eat leftovers. This week I am eating shepherd's pie for breakfast. A lot of folks have been in your shoes and felt overwhelmed, and that's why so many folks are responding. People want to help. Read through the resources they've shared, hopefully it's helpful.

Great suggestions above.

Couple of small things:

• to cook chicken or fish in the oven, try seasoning  it well with salt and pepper (maybe a bit of lemon) and wrap it in foil with some sliced onion and a sprinkle of water - not too tight, more like a little parcel. 350 for 20-30 mins, or until ready (when fish flakes, chicken has no pink juice when pricked w a fork)
  • definitely try extra light tasting olive oil. Two tablespoons is way too much for your eggs - a drop on a paper towel and wipe the pan is more like it, like someone said above.
  • Frozen veggies are cheap and easy - even easier with the Steam-in-a-bag ones

Don't think of it as all or nothing for now, try out some meals first. 

Feel free to reach out to me if you need some help with what to cook, I want to help.

28 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

all of the resources are in Lady Shanny's profile or signature. 

I don’t know what that means... signature what? I think I’m missing something  or don’t understand.

The only allergy that I know of is kiwi, but I don’t really eat fruit. I don’t like sweet stuff. 

If you can't seem to find an ingredient on your list on your own there's no harm in asking an employee at the store to help you. You can just say to them that you have a few ingredients you're trying to track down and you appreciate any help they can give, even if it involves walking the whole store. For example, the canned coconut milk might actually be in the international foods aisle by the soy sauce but you've been looking either in the refrigerator section or the aisle where the tetra pack milk substitutes are. A grocery clerk should know the contents of each aisle of the store. When I worked at Safeway as a teen there were a few times I helped people find their whole grocery list because they were new to the area and felt overwhelmed. It's part of the job. ;)  Also, if the store doesn't carry something talk to the store manager and ask if they can order things in. They might have some good ideas about tracking down hard to locate stuff too.

4 minutes ago, NikayaSmith said:

I don’t know what that means... signature what? I think I’m missing something  or don’t understand.

The only allergy that I know of is kiwi, but I don’t really eat fruit. I don’t like sweet stuff. 

Go to one of Lady Shanny's replies.  She has links to the most popular resources. Read through all of those. 

• Administrators
Just now, NikayaSmith said:

If you're accessing the forum on a mobile device, the signatures don't show up. You'd have to go on the forum from a desktop computer. Or just go to Whole30.com and poke around.

I answered the breakfast question 3 hours ago: Can you go online to instagram? You don't have to have an account if you don't want to. My @stuffonaplate profile is public. You can literally eat any dish there for breakfast. Quite a few of those were my breakfast when I posted them. Any version of protein, veggies, fat and fruit. Breakfast!

Cooking a week's worth of veggies IS a good prep idea. However you're meant to be eating 2-3 cups of veggies with every meal. In one week that's 21 meals. At a MINIMUM that would be 42 cups of veggies. One head of cabbage isn't going to cut it. That's what the poster meant when they referred to it not being adequate.

I really think you're being really hard on yourself. Remember that this is voluntary. If you literally destroy all the Whole30 food in your house in some tragic cooking accident, you shouldn't be punishing yourself to starve until Friday because you don't want to stray from the list. We don't advocate for people quitting because it's hard but you seem especially frustrated and upset by the whole thing and starving or "going without" food for even one entire day isn't suitable.

I am using my phone. I didn’t know there were things you can’t see if you are on a phone. 

I’m not really familiar with Instagram. Im sorry. 

I had no idea there was supposed to be 2-3 cups of veggies at every meal. Again, I haven’t been able to get the book yet. I thought the rules just included foods not to eat. 

It isn’t a punishment, it comes down to being able to afford it. Our grocery budget is a set budget. Anything I buy for me that the whole family won’t eat comes directly out of the money used to buy their food. For example, I bought an extra pack of chicken this week for me to have when they have soup and pasta. That meant I had to cut that $7 I spent on chicken out of the budget for the family. That’s like I didn’t buy the kids granola bars so I could get the larabars. THey didn’t go hungry TRUST ME; that’s just how careful I have to be with our budget. 

Hopefully catfish tonight will be good. :) I AM super frustrated. With myself. I believe in the program fully. That’s why I’m doing it. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the program.  I just hate that there’s so much I’m missing or don’t understand. :) 

@NikayaSmith - There was a poster on here once who said "We all hold each other up" and I thought that was the best thing I've ever read on the internet. No one is frustrated with you, no one is offended by anything you've said. I appreciate your tenacity. It's inspiring. 

And for the record, I'm sick of eggs so I eat tuna salad everyday for breakfast (fat and protein) and then eat plain, cubed, boiled sweet potatoes right after (for my vegetable). I don't like the two together so I finish the tuna first and immediately eat the sweet potatoes.  

On your phone, hit the "HOME" link at the top of the page. Select "MENU" and there's a list of different pages. Select "RESOURCES" and there are a bunch of things you can download - the rules, the meal template, a shopping list (ignore the fancy stuff), etc.

Also, I own "It Starts With Food". I've read it and it's just sitting on my bookshelf. If you feel comfortable, you can send me a private message with a mailing address and I will be more than happy to send it to you. I don't have any of the recipe books (I refuse to buy the cow when I can get milk for free on the internet) but the original book has some very simple recipes in the back that I used when I started my first Whole 30.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, scoakley13 said:

On your phone, hit the "HOME" link at the top of the page. Select "MENU" and there's a list of different pages. Select "RESOURCES" and there are a bunch of things you can download - the rules, the meal template, a shopping list (ignore the fancy stuff), etc.

Also, I own "It Starts With Food". I've read it and it's just sitting on my bookshelf. If you feel comfortable, you can send me a private message with a mailing address and I will be more than happy to send it to you. I don't have any of the recipe books (I refuse to buy the cow when I can get milk for free on the internet) but the original book has some very simple recipes in the back that I used when I started my first Whole 30.

You are an angel!  That's such a nice offer and i hope the poster takes you up on it because that is really very sweet! :wub:

After the horrible ghee making incident I’m terrified to try making mayonnaise. Especially since I’ve not seen any comments or anyone else that messed up making ghee but I see all kinds of people commenting that they’ve messed up the mayo. Lol I’d probably burn the house down or something!!

Try to keep it simple.

I think this download might be really beneficial for you: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf. It's the meal template and describes what you should try to make a meal look like. A palm-sized (or two) serving of meat, a portion or two of fats, and the rest of your plate full of vegetables (e.g., 2-3 cups). You might struggle with the fats since you don't like olives and your oil options are limited, so hopefully you like avocados and they aren't too expensive in your area! :-) 

It doesn't matter whether it's breakfast, lunch, or dinner, this is your formula for success! 

Seriously, good luck to you! I hope this becomes more easy. We're all rooting for you and here to help!

You probably reserved a book called "The Whole30," which is the basic book to help you just jump in and do it. It outlines the rules, has some tips, and includes some recipes. 

It Starts with Food explains the why of the Whole30. So it gets into all the science and logic behind the rules, as well as the benefits. 

Note that neither book is needed to do the Whole30. You can do it all from what you can find right here on the website! 

Click on my username and then hit the little envelope in the middle to send me a private message.

Below is the book I own. It's the original one by the people who created Whole30. It might have more information than what you want but it's a great book. It also has all the rules and those simple recipes (that your child/ren would also enjoy) in the back. There's another book titled "Food Freedom Forever" that I think is for after your Whole30 and then a few recipe books but I don't have any of those. 

New-ISWF1.jpg

Kirbz can you explain that template??? I’ve seen it before but I’m not sure how it works. All that stuff at the top is very confusing. Also, not sure how I’m going to afford that many vegetables!!!! Lol. My kids are going to have to learn to eat whole30 vegetables. Hahahaha Hahahaha. 

I’ve not ever had an avocado that I know of so I’m not sure about those. 

Good news is tonight’s fish wasn’t awful. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, NikayaSmith said:

I’m not really familiar with Instagram.

Oh, weird, I did a quick insta search with your same user-name and saw that you had an account with posts and followers/following so I assumed that would be a good resource for you. Maybe I saw the wrong person.

Oh I totally have an account!!! I’m just not very familiar with it. I used to work in rescue and set it up to post pictures of the dogs. I still post pictures sometimes but that’s it. I’ve not really done anything but post pictures. When I log in there’s always notifications about people who want to follow me or Facebook friends who are suggested for me. I’m sure it’s me you found. Not like my name is common. Lol

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, NikayaSmith said:

Kirbz can you explain that template??? I’ve seen it before but I’m not sure how it works. All that stuff at the top is very confusing. Also, not sure how I’m going to afford that many vegetables!!!! Lol. My kids are going to have to learn to eat whole30 vegetables. Hahahaha Hahahaha. 

I’ve not ever had an avocado that I know of so I’m not sure about those. 

Good news is tonight’s fish wasn’t awful. 

What stuff at the top are you referring to?  Those are pictograms that are showing what a palm of protein looks like on average; next a plate full of vegetables around that palm of protein; next a fist sized serving of fruit; next a thumb of oils/fats; next a heaping handful of coconut/olives; next a closed handful of nuts/seeds.

Then if you read the second paragraph, it outlines what the meal composition should look like... 1-2 palms of protein (pictured in the pics at the top of the sheet), rest of the plate filled with veggies (pictured in the pics at the top), fat added in either the thumb sized portion or as in the list below where it tells you how much fat if you want to use something other than oil/ghee.

Archived