Rural area....

NikayaSmith

With each meal, you should be having:

• a palm-sized portion or two of meat with every meal. Palm-sized means the size of your palm in length and width and general thickness.
  • a serving or two of fats. Your options for fats are: oils (1-2 thumb-sized portions), butters (ghee, coconut, nut) (1-2 thumb-sized portions), coconut (a heaping open handful), olives (1-2 heaping open handfuls), nuts or seeds (a closed handful), 1/2 - 1 full avocado, or 1/4 to 1/2 can of full-fat coconut milk. Generally, the fat you use to cook with doesn't count. 
  • the rest of your plate full of veggies, which is a couple of cups

I hope that helps!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MeadowLily said:

Do you like specific vegetables?

We eat all the regular veggies, I just need to figure out the cooking thing.

Broccoli and cauliflower have always been eaten with cheese so I’ll have to try those on a week the kids aren’t having them. Fried cabbage has always been a staple but I need to find a way to do that now. Peas and carrots are one the kids really like but I’m not about to pick peas out and just eat the carrots lol plus I don’t know if that counts as being allowerd since they are canned and cooked together. Potatoes and tomatoes. I’m sure I’m forgetting things but we eat pretty normally. At least I think we do. 

Just take your share out and add the cheese for the kids. You like bacon. Fry the bacon and then fry your cabbage.  Throw all of your vege on a baking tray and drizzle bacon fat over the top. Roast in the oven around 375-400 until done.  Voila. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, NikayaSmith said:

I have a whole container of bacon fat. Like an entire canister. I thought I couldn’t use it because the bacon it came from was not whole30 bacon. 

I CAN USE BACON FAT????????? This changes everything!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, you cannot use bacon fat that comes from non compliant bacon...

• Moderators

It sounds like you've got a better handle on things now -- that's great! I love that you don't want to give up, but do remember that the whole point of this is to make you healthier, and if you start feeling overwhelmed and stressed out again, that isn't making you healthier. Not everyone gets through a Whole30 on their first try, and there's no shame in that -- as long as you keep trying to make healthier choices. Trying to be healthier and make healthier choices is not something that you can totally fix in 30 days, it's something you're going to have to work at the rest of your life, so you've got time to figure it all out. 

I think as you learn to cook more, you'll be surprised that you'll be able to get your kids to eat a lot of the same things you eat. Maybe not everything, especially not the first time you serve something, but over time as it becomes more familiar to them, they'll be okay with eating the vegetables you eat, or that the seasonings on foods may be different because you make things like burger patties or taco meat Whole30 compliant and just let them do whatever toppings they'd normally do on them. It'll make everything a lot easier, since you won't have to buy totally separate everything for them. 

Definitely keep coming back to the forum, let us know how it's going, let us know if you need help with things. You're not doing this all alone, you've got lots of people here who want you to succeed and will do what we can to make that happen for you.

How did your ghee get ruined?  Did you burn it?  I make my ghee in the oven.  I put a pound of butter in a Dutch oven (you could use any ovenproof pan) that is set to 250 degrees.  After an hour or so, I start checking every 15 minutes, and pull it out when the milk solids have started to brown.  Then I strain it and put it in the fridge.  For straining, I recently have been using a clean Handiwipes in a mesh strainer.  Cheesecloth is ideal, but I ran out and improvised.  (Tried a coffee filter, but it was too slow).

If cooking is the issue, nomnom paleo has a bunch of recipes that have pictures of each step.  Even some videos.  I learned how to spatchcock a chicken there!  :-)

You mentioned looking for bone broth, but it's very expensive pre-made.  I buy all my chicken bone in on sale (some whole/not cut up, some thighs, some breasts).  If a recipe calls for boneless/skinless, I remove the skin and throw it away.  I save the bones in a big ziplock in the freezer, and when I get to a couple pounds, make bone broth (lots of recipes online).  Whole30 doesn't have to be expensive if you start with very basic ingredients.

I agree that eggs cooked in olive oil sound gross.  Get your ghee making skills together, or try something like avocado oil.  Where I am, Whole30 bacon is only at health food stores and super expensive.  If you want breakfast meat now and then, buying ground pork and making homemade breakfast sausage is likely a cheaper and easier to find option.

You can do this.  It's harder because of your location, but you can do it.  :-)

• 6 months later...

I also live in a rural area, and our only grocery option is a large Walmart 30 minutes away.  A lot of this takes planning and prepping because of my sitatuion.   For example, I know I can make a meal out of eggs, potatoes, and various veggies for breakfast.  I also buy up ground pork to make homemade breakfast sausage (both patties and crumble).  Proteins do tend to lean towards things involving chicken and beef, but we sometimes catch shrimp on sale and keep in the freezer for a nice variety.  As far as just throwing chicken in the oven, no.  I find brining chicken breasts in salt water for even 30 minutes does wonders to keeping it moist during cooking.  Roasting it with a coat of olive oil and seasoning for a short time on the proper temp and then letting it rest for about ten minutes covered, makes amazing chicken.  We also grill a lot on our farm, so it's not hard to do up foil packets of compliant sausage/shrimp and veggies or to grill up homemade burgers for the week. 

I think the hardest thing is to try and copy the online "instragram" meals when you don't have those options. I also couldn't get ghee, but I found I can make it myself with a bit of practice.  A lot of asian flavors and ingredients are out, so I just don't bother with them. Stick to what you like to eat, how can you give it a whole30 boost, start out with simple meals (no crazy attempts to do some kind of curry with a thousand things in it), use lots of seasonings, and decide on the cooking methods you like for certain things.  I hate steamed veggies, so I stick to roasted or stir fried.  I love soups, and I've found a ton that basically just need me to sub in or take a non compliant item out.  Planning and prepping will be key for you.

Archived