Completed Whole30 and no weight loss

Hadley F

Hello all,

My partner (age 49) and I have just completed our second non consecutive Whole30 and my partner is disappointed that he has not lost any weight. He has lots of very positive non-scale victories but alas he was hoping to see a reduction in belly fat. He is normally very east to gain weight and very hard to loose so this sort of makes sense for him. We are carrying on and doing a Whole60 and just wondering what we could do to tweak things so we may see more changes? He lost 1-2 cm off his chest and belly so that is a good sign.

I am thinking it is possible he is having too many carbs as sweet potato/potato as well as he has a smoothie midway through the afternoon and it has very little protein and a lot of fat. Unless he eats a huge lunch with tons of protein he is really hungry around 4-5pm.

He doesn't drink coffee and has recovered from high cortisol although it has not been tested in a while. His sleep is very good and he has a low stress lifestyle. 

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Hadley F said:

Hello all,

My partner (age 49) and I have just completed our second non consecutive Whole30 and my partner is disappointed that he has not lost any weight. He has lots of very positive non-scale victories but alas he was hoping to see a reduction in belly fat. He is normally very east to gain weight and very hard to loose so this sort of makes sense for him. We are carrying on and doing a Whole60 and just wondering what we could do to tweak things so we may see more changes? He lost 1-2 cm off his chest and belly so that is a good sign.

I am thinking it is possible he is having too many carbs as sweet potato/potato as well as he has a smoothie midway through the afternoon and it has very little protein and a lot of fat. Unless he eats a huge lunch with tons of protein he is really hungry around 4-5pm.

He doesn't drink coffee and has recovered from high cortisol although it has not been tested in a while. His sleep is very good and he has a low stress lifestyle. 

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks

Well yes, drinking smoothies and eating carbs and fat without protein are not quite what the recommendations are so it's not that surprising he's not having more success.  Now that said, this is not a weight loss diet so we can't give you recommendations on how to hack the program to become a weightloss diet but we can recommend you follow the rules AND recommendations to get the best results out of the program.

Check out the template below and start making meals to match - each should last between 4 and 5 hours before the next meal, smoothies should be stopped immediately and he should be eating three meals a day.  Carbs are also recommended to be a fist sized serving a day so if he's having more than that and he's not particularly active or someone with mood disorders then if he's eating them with every meal he may want to back that off a bit and go down to the recommendation and then work from there.

Ok, good to know Whole30 is not intended as a weight loss plan. We are following the meal plan, rules and meal times. 

Carbs have always been his issue and before Whole30 he was not eating potato or sweet potato and we added them in once a day as recommended. But for him it's not good.

His smoothie is made with kale, spinach, cashew, banana, brazil nuts and coconut milk and he drinks it WITH LUNCH. Seems like a decent way to get fats into your system? He does this because he is really hungry around 5pm the smoothie makes him less hungry until dinner. We assume it is because of the fat in coconut milk. Other than the 1/2 a banana in the smoothie, the only other fruit is a bowl of blueberries every night with dinner. 

We will stay focused on the non scale victories and hope that over time weight loss is a side effect of living awesome. Whole60 her we come!

Hadley

On 1/29/2018 at 8:06 PM, Hadley F said:

Ok, good to know Whole30 is not intended as a weight loss plan. We are following the meal plan, rules and meal times. 

Carbs have always been his issue and before Whole30 he was not eating potato or sweet potato and we added them in once a day as recommended. But for him it's not good.

His smoothie is made with kale, spinach, cashew, banana, brazil nuts and coconut milk and he drinks it WITH LUNCH. Seems like a decent way to get fats into your system? He does this because he is really hungry around 5pm the smoothie makes him less hungry until dinner. We assume it is because of the fat in coconut milk. Other than the 1/2 a banana in the smoothie, the only other fruit is a bowl of blueberries every night with dinner. 

We will stay focused on the non scale victories and hope that over time weight loss is a side effect of living awesome. Whole60 her we come!

Hadley

Hey there! While smoothies are delicious, it seems like the problem could be the fruit smoothie, NOT the sweet potato. It's pretty easy to hate on starchy vegetables like sweet potato and butternut squash, but think of how many more carbs are in that big fruit smoothie! Also, I've seen a theme that people tend to have less success when they are consuming large quantities of coconut milk. I think for some people, this creamy and delicious food can definitely be a food without brakes. I'd encourage your partner to cut out that fruit smoothie, and instead add more protein and a few heaping servings of vegetables onto his plate. If he feels like he can be in control of eating coconut milk, then have him spoon a bit onto his plate. Definitely keep in mind that there are other super yummy fat sources, like avocado, olives, and compliant mayo. Let us know how it goes! 

I’m on day 20 and I’m experiencing the same thing. I’ve consumed 2 smoothies while on Whole 30 so I don’t think smoothies are the issue but I will take note to exclude them after reading these responses. I do consume multiple potatoes, butternut squash and sweet potatoes throughout the week but other than that I don’t understand why I’ve been so stagnant. Still feel bloated and tired midday. I understand this isn’t a weight loss diet but I feel like I’m doing something wrong. Today was my first day consuming uncured paleo bacon. I usually eat two meals a day and snack. And I only drink water and pure coconut water. Meats: Chicken, salmon and turkey. I’m 5’3 and 137lbs. 

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Dejah Stewart said:

I’m on day 20 and I’m experiencing the same thing. I’ve consumed 2 smoothies while on Whole 30 so I don’t think smoothies are the issue but I will take note to exclude them after reading these responses. I do consume multiple potatoes, butternut squash and sweet potatoes throughout the week but other than that I don’t understand why I’ve been so stagnant. Still feel bloated and tired midday. I understand this isn’t a weight loss diet but I feel like I’m doing something wrong. Today was my first day consuming uncured paleo bacon. I usually eat two meals a day and snack. And I only drink water and pure coconut water. Meats: Chicken, salmon and turkey. I’m 5’3 and 137lbs. 

You're going to get the best results if you follow the recommendation to eat three meals a day that match the meal template. I do understand that means a lot more food than you are used to, and you may be concerned about weight, but when we say Whole30 isn't a weight loss diet, what we mean is, Whole30 comes at this from the other direction. People assume if you address weight, health will follow -- we're telling you, if you address health, the weight will get to what it's supposed to be. To be healthy, you have to fuel your body to do the things you want to be able to do, meaning eating enough foods, and foods that are nutrient dense to provide you with all the vitamins and minerals you need.

So, try for the last 10 days of your Whole30 to have three meals a day that include one to two palm-size portions of protein (if eggs are your only protein, have as many eggs as you can hold in one hand, which is probably 3-4), a serving or two of fat from the choices listed on the template in addition to whatever oil you cook in, and then fill your plate with vegetables. Drink at least 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight. Salt your food so it tastes good to you. Try that for now and see how you feel. 

Archived