Day 10 food aversions

AnnBland

I’m on day 10 and having trouble with lunch and dinner the past few days. Very few compliant food items seem even tolerable to me, let alone appealing. 

Tonight my menu plan called for a pork tenderloin in the oven, roasted acorn squash, and a salad. The thought of eating this makes me feel physically ill right now...I would rather just not eat anything, but my stomach is rumbling and my husband will expect to be fed. 

The 2 really weird things: 1.  This is a normal meal for my family, and one that I make probably every 2 weeks without thought (I just changed the pork marinade and the salad dressing and boom- Whole30 compliant!) 

2. If I think about what I would like to eat...it’s either a giant bowl of spaghetti or a ridiculously huge bean and cheese burrito—neither of which are a regular part of my pre-Whole 30 diet! 

Fun twist: I am both breastfeeding my toddler, and 2-ish months pregnant. 

So so my question is, is this a normal part of Day 10, and should I just push through? And any tips on making food sound good again? It’s like just because I know it’s Whole30 compliant, I don’t want it anymore. On the other hand, I don’t know if my cravings/aversions are normal Whole30 or if they are pregnancy related. I had some very very serious food aversions with my first pregnancy, some of them have even stuck around. I dont want to make excuses for myself, I just don’t know if this is the right time to be trying this. 

• Moderators

Day 10 and 11 are the days when most people want to quit. I can't explain why, but it's pretty common, so that might be some of what's going on here. Most people do go through some food boredom at some point, and just a general feeling of "I don't want to do this anymore" is pretty common.

I have never been pregnant, so I don't have personal experience of food aversions, but my understanding is they can be bad, and even Melissa Hartwig, when she was pregnant, couldn't stay 100% compliant, because there were things that she just couldn't eat. Here's an article about it:  https://whole30.com/2013/01/pregnancy-and-food-aversions/

If that's what is going on, it might be that now isn't the right time for a true whole30, because you need to eat, for yourself, for the tiny human you're growing, and for the toddler you're breastfeeding.

If you do want to try to stay Whole30, look at what you're craving and see if you can figure out a way to have something similar.  For spaghetti, you could do spaghetti squash with sauce,  or if you think it's more that you want something really carby, maybe top a baked potato or sweet potato with a meaty spaghetti sauce or chili. 

Archived