Lack of Appetite and Dizziness later in Whole30

I'm on Day 29 and have been experiencing lack of appetite since Day 22.  I'm hungry, but hardly anything sounds good to eat.  I started out doing great and had no problem eating my three meals.  Now I am hungry, but do not want to eat much.  I force myself to eat (protein, some veggies, and sometimes a side of sweet potatoes).  To add to it on Day 15 I had a spell of faintness and tingling in my head.  I am experiencing this again this afternoon evening.  I feel faint and my head is very tingly.  I feel hungry, but do not want to eat anything unless is it is in a bread form - pancakes, tortillas, etc. Typically when I have been eating the last week, I do not finish all of my meals as I can't force it all down.  This is my third Whole30.  I haven't experienced this before.  My energy has been very good with the exception of Day 15 evening and this afternoon with the faintness.  Any thoughts?? 

• Moderators

Without knowing what you've been eating in portion sizes, specific veggies, fruit, fat and protein, meal timings, whether you're salting your food, drinking water etc... it's not possible for us to help you troubleshoot. HOWEVER, unless you have been wildly undereating, spells of faintness, tingling in the head etc... is not a symptom of eating whole foods and you should absolutely go and see a doctor if you are concerned as no one here can dispense medical advice.

Ok.  Agreed, I definitely don't think it is because I am eating whole foods.  I just think I am probably doing something incorrect in my portions sizes or types of foods.  I was just looking for some suggestions to look at what I am doing that might trigger the lack of appetite and possibly the dizziness tied to it...  I'll keep researching.  Thank you.

A typical day includes:

Breakfast: either two hard boiled eggs (salt/pepper) with two cuties, or apple with almond butter OR three scrambled eggs & veggies (not able to eat it all anymore) with 1/4 avocado

Lunch: approximately can of tuna with little mayo on a bed of kale OR leftover pork with sweet potatoes and a side veggie (tomato, cucumber, and snap peas)

Dinner: usually a meal from one of the cookbooks.  Stuffed peppers, OR pulled pork and sweet potato, OR taco salad (beef) with 1/4 avocado.

Lately, I've been throwing away half of my meals at least once a day not able to finish.  I'm hungry, but can't quit stomach finishing.  I will usually have a Chomps stick or RX bar to fill in the gap or an apple with almond butter as a snack once a day.

I season my food per recipe...  Not getting electrolytes any additional way that I am aware.  I was off to a fantastic start.  Just not sure where I stepped off track.  

Thank you.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, SThorington said:

A typical day includes:

Breakfast: either two hard boiled eggs (salt/pepper) with two cuties, or apple with almond butter OR three scrambled eggs & veggies (not able to eat it all anymore) with 1/4 avocado

Lunch: approximately can of tuna with little mayo on a bed of kale OR leftover pork with sweet potatoes and a side veggie (tomato, cucumber, and snap peas)

Dinner: usually a meal from one of the cookbooks.  Stuffed peppers, OR pulled pork and sweet potato, OR taco salad (beef) with 1/4 avocado.

Lately, I've been throwing away half of my meals at least once a day not able to finish.  I'm hungry, but can't quit stomach finishing.  I will usually have a Chomps stick or RX bar to fill in the gap or an apple with almond butter as a snack once a day.

I season my food per recipe...  Not getting electrolytes any additional way that I am aware.  I was off to a fantastic start.  Just not sure where I stepped off track.  

Thank you.

You're honestly not eating enough most days.  I hear you that you're saying you're having a tough time finishing your meal and I don't know if thats because you've been undereating for long enough that your body just turns down its hunger or becuase there's something medical going on.

Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping.. that's 3-4 for most people, then add a plate full of veggies and some added fat.  2 eggs and 2 tiny oranges or an apple and almond butter no where near fits that profile.

Your pork and sweet potato lunch has no fat and your tuna salad is probably quite lacking in vegetables.  The fact you're snacking tells me that your body knows it's not eating enough.  As far as that, the recommendation is to limit nuts and their butters (think 6-8 almonds or a tbsp of almond butter every other day at most) and not to eat fruit on its own as a snack.

You should be seasoning your food to taste so add salt until it tastes the right amount of saltiness to you - when we remove packaged and processed foods from our diet we remove the majority of sodium which is essential to the body and body function.

Thank you, SugarcubeOD.  I also don't appear to be losing weight or inches either like I did in prior Whole30s.  That probably coincides with not eating enough as well.  I'll work on regrouping with my portions of food and pushing my food intake up in the right areas.  You confirmed what I was wondering about not enough food, but it will take some effort to get more food down at mealtime.  Its becoming more apparent that previously I wasn't eating large meals, but supplementing with small snacks in between smaller meals.  Thank you for your insight.  I appreciate it.  :D

Archived