Re-introduction vs. extension--advice?

DrJane

Hi all, would really appreciate some advice!  I am just finishing up my January Whole30 (my third round).  The first time I did it, I felt amazing both psychologically AND physically.  This time, all the psychological/emotional improvements are here, but physically I am still feeling under the weather.  Specifically, my guts.  Even more specifically, ongoing cramping and (apologies!) gas and loose stools--I have always had some degree of IBS, but the symptoms have actually gotten WORSE since I started this round!!!!  (And I am positive there is nothing more ominous going on medically.)

I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what the problem is, because I do NOT remember this from last time.  The only thing different I can think of is that this round, I ate a lot more white potatoes (due to ease of prep in my very busy schedule) instead of sweet potatoes.  So now I am wondering about a possible nightshade intolerance--I don't often eat potatoes, and I don't really enjoy peppers (although I use a lot of hot sauce with my eggs), but I was probably eating (boiled) potatoes with a meal at least three or four times per week this round.  

(The other new thing I introduced into my diet this time around was GT's compliant kombucha, I probably drank some 2-3x per week)

So, fine.  I am acknowledging that this nightshade intolerance might be a real thing for me and I have to test it out.  HOWEVER, I am really looking forward to the reintroduction protocol.  Specifically, I want to get legumes and soy back into my diet because my amazing partner, who supported me through this round of Whole30, is a vegan (for non-negotiable ethical reasons) and he has been so inspired by the changes he has seen in me through my Whole30, that he wants to do a vegan reset--and I was looking forward to getting the soy and legumes back into MY diet so that we can cook some more shared meals than we are currently able to.

My question is: is it reasonable to move ahead with ONE class of reintro (the legumes) while still experimenting with the nightshade thing?  Or should I avoid reintroducing ANYTHING until I have completely excluded nightshades for some time (and how MUCH time?)?  Or could this be the kombucha???  

Thanks in advance!

On 1/30/2018 at 6:13 AM, DrJane said:

My question is: is it reasonable to move ahead with ONE class of reintro (the legumes) while still experimenting with the nightshade thing?  Or should I avoid reintroducing ANYTHING until I have completely excluded nightshades for some time (and how MUCH time?)?  Or could this be the kombucha???  

Hey there

Sorry to hear you're having some gut issues. Let's see if we can't help you figure out where to go from here...

I wouldn't be just so quick to jump on the Nightshade Bandwagon without really looking at what you have been eating over the last lot of days. In my experience Nightshade intolerances usually (but not always) manifest themselves in more non gut related symptoms - headaches, skin issues, joint pain etc... Are you having any of those problems?

In terms of reintroducing legumes while you're having digestive issues my advice would be to hold off, as digestive issues are one of the more common side effects of legumes so your reaction will be greatly masked given that you are already suffering those symptoms.

Kombucha generally improves gut health. If it's new and you have phased it in it's unlikely (but not impossible!) that it is the root of your problem. That said perhaps it would be wise to remove it temporarily and replace it with a probiotic supplement for now. Once your gut is feeling a bit better try phasing it back in again to see how you go...

If you could list out what you have eaten over the past 3-4 days we can take a closer look to see if anything jumps out that may be contributing to your current problems...

Thank you for replying!  I will try to think back to what I have eaten.  I know some meals aren't ideal, but my schedule changes a lot week to week, I do a lot of travelling, etc.  But I do try my best!  

Friday breakfast: 2 eggs, mixed veggies, 1/2 avocado; coffee with coconut milk
Friday lunch: steamed broccoli/cauliflower/carrots, chicken thigh with Matty's BBQ sauce, boiled potatoes with ghee
Snack (while driving): bottle of kombucha, baby carrots
Friday dinner: Jamie Oliver brand compliant pork sausage, lettuce and cukes with Primal Kitchen Ranch, boiled potatoes with ghee

Saturday breakfast: 2 eggs, 1/2 avocado, leftover boiled potatoes
Saturday lunch: big salad of lettuce, cukes, PK Ranch, and Jamie Oliver sausage
Saturday dinner: roasted sweet potatoes, kale, and onions with Jamie Oliver pork sausage; pistachios and a blood orange after as I was still hungry.

Sunday breakfast: eggs, 1/2 avocado, leftover sweet potatoes/kale/onions; coffee with coconut milk
Sunday lunch: steamed broccoli/cauliflower/carrots, chicken thigh with BBQ sauce, leftover sweet potato/kale/onion
Sunday dinner: no dinner tonight, a bag of baby carrots and a bottle of kombucha on my way back home from my partner's house, got home too late to want to eat

Monday breakfast: 2 eggs, mixed veggies, 1/2 avocado; coffee with coconut milk
Monday lunch: turkey meatballs, roasted sweet potato, salad with olive oil and vinegar
Monday snack (got called to hospital and I knew would be late getting home for dinner): Kind fruit-and-chia bar
Monday dinner: cauliflower rice and Mel Joulwan beef and mushroom stir fry, mandarin orange.

Let me know if anything stands out!

6 hours ago, DrJane said:

Thank you for replying!  I will try to think back to what I have eaten.  I know some meals aren't ideal, but my schedule changes a lot week to week, I do a lot of travelling, etc.  But I do try my best!  

Friday breakfast: 2 eggs, mixed veggies, 1/2 avocado; coffee with coconut milk
Friday lunch: steamed broccoli/cauliflower/carrots, chicken thigh with Matty's BBQ sauce, boiled potatoes with ghee
Snack (while driving): bottle of kombucha, baby carrots
Friday dinner: Jamie Oliver brand compliant pork sausage, lettuce and cukes with Primal Kitchen Ranch, boiled potatoes with ghee

Saturday breakfast: 2 eggs, 1/2 avocado, leftover boiled potatoes
Saturday lunch: big salad of lettuce, cukes, PK Ranch, and Jamie Oliver sausage
Saturday dinner: roasted sweet potatoes, kale, and onions with Jamie Oliver pork sausage; pistachios and a blood orange after as I was still hungry.

Sunday breakfast: eggs, 1/2 avocado, leftover sweet potatoes/kale/onions; coffee with coconut milk
Sunday lunch: steamed broccoli/cauliflower/carrots, chicken thigh with BBQ sauce (possibly), leftover sweet potato/kale/onion
Sunday dinner: no dinner tonight, a bag of baby carrots and a bottle of kombucha on my way back home from my partner's house, got home too late to want to eat

Monday breakfast: 2 eggs, mixed veggies, 1/2 avocado; coffee with coconut milk
Monday lunch: turkey meatballs, roasted sweet potato, salad with olive oil and vinegar
Monday snack (got called to hospital and I knew would be late getting home for dinner): Kind fruit-and-chia bar
Monday dinner: cauliflower rice and Mel Joulwan beef and mushroom stir fry, mandarin orange.

Let me know if anything stands out!

Okay, for me it looks more like FODMAPs might be your issue.

I'm not sure what the 'mixed veggies' are, but I've highlighted all the other med-high FODMAP foods you've eaten over the course of the 3 days listed, and as you can see the volume is quite high. With FODMAP intolerance it's often about load, and so when you eat multiple FODMAPs in one meal or over the course of the day the undigested sugars can build up in the gut causing the type of symptoms you describe. And if this is representative of how you've been eating for 30 days then you can see where it might become a problem...

I'd suggest eating from the GREEN foods on the >this great article from Paleo Mom< (scroll down the page for the full image) - try it out for maybe a week to allow the gut to settle & then maybe try reintroducing some of those AMBER foods before trialing anything RED to see how you go...

Keep us posted!

Archived