Cooking fats? Confused

VickiK2018

I just started my first Whole30 and let me say the thing im most confused about is cooking fats. What cooking fat to use with what meals/meats/veggies. I mostly stick with extra virgin olive oils as my go to. I also have coconut oil and coconut milk. I guess im confused as to what cooking fats is best to cook with what meals. Most recipes just call for a "cooking fat" so do I just close my eyes and pick one? Any help with this would be great! thanks! 

It really is that you just would pick whichever cooking fat you're most comfortable using. If you like olive oil, then use that! Coconut oil is great for sauteeing the veggies if you're making something like a curry that'll get coconut milk added later (or even if it's not). I personally like using coconut oil for cooking eggs, but the shoprite brand of coconut oil is very light tasting so it's not like I'm making coconut eggs (eew). 

Things like duck fat or tallow are really awesome for roasting veg, but unless you're making duck or rending down beef fat, you'd have to buy that. Not everyone wants to spend money on some of the more "exotic" cooking fats when olive oil roasts veggies just fine :)

Does that help?

4 hours ago, AnitaC said:

I base it on taste. A bolognese sauce - I use olive oil. A curry - coconut oil. Sautée mushrooms or fry and egg - ghee.

That is what I do also! I have olive oil, ghee and coconut oil and use them depending on the flavors I am using. It's fun to experiment, too!

On 1/30/2018 at 6:45 AM, AnitaC said:

I base it on taste. A bolognese sauce - I use olive oil. A curry - coconut oil. Sautée mushrooms or fry and egg - ghee.

This is what I do as well.  I also use avocado oil, for when I just want it to taste plain.

I asked about this a while back too! I really wish they'd provide a recommended option or two rather than just a generic "cooking fat" because, when you're new to this, you don't really know what to try! 

Here's the thread I started, which had a great response from one of the moderators: https://forum.whole30.com/topic/43122-best-use-for-different-cooking-fats/?tab=comments#comment-443340.

Archived