Day 30 and Not Feeling So Good

mmlitt

Okay, this is my 4th Whole30 and I've always had an amazing experience (this year I hardly had any trouble with cravings!) but this year has been rough in terms of tummy troubles. Around Day 11 and 12 I started feeling a little nauseated at the end of the day but thought it was just my gut healing again. And then the nausea and stomach cramps have come up on random days ever since with yesterday Day 29 being the absolute worst. Looking at what I've been eating the only thing I can figure is maybe I am sensitive to onions since they are a pretty high FODMAP food? I had an omelette with onions and peppers for breakfast yesterday when I felt so horrible and was burping onions all day. I've just never had problems with FODMAPs before and it's strange to me that it would show up during Whole30. I seem to have had no trouble when eating other high FODMAP foods this month like apples, garlic, cauliflower, etc. but at the same time I'm not sure if it could be something else! 

I'm just so bummed that I don't feel amazing on day 30. Has anyone else had this sensitivity show itself during Whole30? Do I need to go see someone? Confused. Help!

• Moderators

My understanding is that it's possible to be sensitive to certain FODMAPS and not others (if you look at the chart around the middle of this page:   https://www.thepaleomom.com/modifying-Paleo-for-fodmap-intolerance/  you'll see that next to the avoid foods, there's a word in parenthesis, like fructans or fructose or lactose, and apparently you can be sensitive to some of those and not others, or at least more sensitive to some than the others). Certainly, if you think the onions are the issue, you could try leaving them out and see what happens. 

Have you tried incorporating fermented foods or other probiotics? That might help. 

You could try listing a couple of days' worth of typical foods and see if anything stands out to anyone else if you want. If it gets worse or is severe or doesn't go away no matter what you try, it probably wouldn't hurt to talk to a doctor, just to rule out any underlying issues that we wouldn't be able to diagnose or address online. 

Archived