Nordic stone age nut bread

Megifl

Hi, why? A Lara bar is the same thing but that is prepackaged... These are created to replace Lara bars... 

I appreciate the standard... Nothing baked... But I'd like to hear from the W30 nutritionists as well. 

After all, I took my pork chops and spices I'd normally bake, and ground them instead  into small patties to go with breakfast. Why is this different? 

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Megifl said:

Hi, why? A Lara bar is the same thing but that is prepackaged... These are created to replace Lara bars... 

I appreciate the standard... Nothing baked... But I'd like to hear from the W30 nutritionists as well. 

After all, I took my pork chops and spices I'd normally bake, and ground them instead  into small patties to go with breakfast. Why is this different? 

I am not a nutritionist but this is a baked item with flour replacement and eggs that I imagine you can slice and put stuff on = bread replacement.  A Larabar is dates and nuts ground up and formed into a bar - you would not spread nut butter and jam on a Lara bar and it's not a baked good.

Hi and thanks Sugarcane OD, I listed the ingredients above. No flour at all not any substitute. Eggs hold it together. 

Never said I'd put anything it. My plan was to use it as a crouton in my salad versus sporadic nuts. Or, as a Lara bar, on the go,  when traveling and no meal time are present.   

It's a no because the creators of Whole30 said it's a no. Just put the nuts on your salad instead of baking a concoction of nuts and seeds. Or if you're on the go, bring a little thermal lunch bag and some proper food with you. Larabars are not for "on the go". They're for emergencies like you toss one in your bag because you're getting on a flight and weather's iffy so it's really looking like you might be spending hours on the tarmac waiting to take off. Even then, there are better options like epic bars or bags of jerky and baby carrots.

Taken from this page: https://whole30.com/2011/10/sex-with-your-pants-on/

"A few off-limits foods that fall under this rule include pancakes, bread, tortillas, biscuits, muffins, cupcakes, cookies, pizza crust, waffles, cereal, potato chips, French fries, and this one recipe where eggs, date paste, and coconut milk are combined with prayers to create a thick, creamy concoction that can once again transform your undrinkable black coffee into sweet, dreamy caffeine. However, this list is not limited to these items—there may be other foods that you find are not psychologically healthy for your Whole30. Use your best judgment with those foods that aren’t on this list, but that you suspect are not helping you change your habits or break those cravings."

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Megifl said:

Thanks... Guess no nuts on my BAKED SALMON or BAKED CHICKEN. Waiting for a call from whole 30 since your post also does not describe this. But do appreciate your input. 

Hi @Megifl - sorry that this is a bit of a burr for you. :( We are just trying to relay the rules and recommendations. Beyond the rule of not making bread (or crouton) substitutions with compliant ingredients, the nut load on this is beyond the program recommendations. We recommend no more than a closed handful of nuts every other day at most. They are really problematic for a lot of people (digestive, habit etc). They also don't have the best fat profile so we do recommend you limit them.

You absolutely can dredge meats in some almond flour and seasonings and bake or pan fry it. There are no "Whole30 nutritionists" and the calls that get made here on the forum are by moderators that are in direct contact with Melissa. In this case, the nut loaf is out, sorry! 

In the kindest way and with the most respect for you and that which is obviously a bit of a hot button for you: I would suggest you maybe take a look at why this particular item is SO important to you. Often the things that we really resist giving up are the things that are the most problematic for us. That can be this nut loaf/crouton thing or maybe just resistance to a set of such clearly defined and enforced rules. 

Wishing you a nice day, regardless of our stance on your question! :) 

Interestingly, I was going to write and apologize for my frustrated reply. Here is the reason.

I do not eats nuts alone in general because they get caught under my gums and the oil goes bad even if I floss! Which I do 3 times a day.  So, "throw them in your salad" is out. After a few $150 dental visits and antibiotic treatments, I figured out nuts were probably a bad option for me. 

As it turns out after reading all the posts plus more, this is a psychological problem....  Not a food item problem.

As a psychologist myself, (check linked in?) I treat the whole problem. Hence here, how to include nuts, but avoid other health issues, is my goal. Mastication of a small ball of food far outweighs trying to chew fully, an individual nut,  which is normally not done when eating salad. 

So, again I apologize, but hate the pat answers from a copy/paste reply because the underlying issues are not "one size fits all". 

I have also spoken to realplans.com and asked them to investigate this.

Thanks much... 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Megifl said:

Interestingly, I was going to write and apologize for my frustrated reply. Here is the reason.

I do not eats nuts alone in general because they get caught under my gums and the oil goes bad even if I floss! Which I do 3 times a day.  So, "throw them in your salad" is out. After a few $150 dental visits and antibiotic treatments, I figured out nuts were probably a bad option for me. 

As it turns out after reading all the posts plus more, this is a psychological problem....  Not a food item problem.

As a psychologist myself, (check linked in?) I treat the whole problem. Hence here, how to include nuts, but avoid other health issues, is my goal. Mastication of a small ball of food far outweighs trying to chew fully, an individual nut,  which is normally not done when eating salad. 

So, again I apologize, but hate the pat answers from a copy/paste reply because the underlying issues are not "one size fits all". 

I have also spoken to realplans.com and asked them to investigate this.

Thanks much... 

I'm not sure what realplans is going to be able to provide for you as they have a Whole30 menu but are not affiliated with Whole30 in making rules or recommendations.  I understand not liking a 'pat answer' but when the rules are clear on a voluntary program, the answer is going to be pat... it's not allowed per the rules so if you choose to participate in this voluntary program, then you choose to participate in the rules whether you agree with them or not.

Also, I will say that you came and asked if it was allowed or not so on some level, you must have known that the answer could be no.  If you wanted to eat this regardless of the answer, then by not posting it online, you would have circumvented this rule which you don't seem to agree with in this context.  There are no Whole30 police/spies so if you had eaten it we never would have known.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Megifl said:

how to include nuts, but avoid other health issues, is my goal.

I guess my question would be "Why are you so bent on including nuts?". I go weeks if not months without ever eating a nut. If they bother your mouth and you're hitting a bit of a roadblock in trying to bake them into another form, why not just not eat them? Seems like the simplest answer?

I think the copy/paste response is directed at me, so let me explain. 

Because there was a clearly written answer from the creators of Whole30 on the website (and you seemed to want an answer directly from the Whole30 folks, not random strangers on the internet), I copied and pasted it in the thread for you. Plus a link in case you wanted to read more on your own. 

I hope that clears things up a little. 

Ladyshanny, agree,  but I do like nuts and have always felt a little sad that I couldn't eat them until I found this recipe a few years ago. Almost every alternative eating program says no to nuts... So when my doc said whole30, I was pretty psyched that my nut croutons might be acceptable! 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Megifl said:

Ladyshanny, agree,  but I do like nuts and have always felt a little sad that I couldn't eat them until I found this recipe a few years ago. Almost every alternative eating program says no to nuts... So when my doc said whole30, I was pretty psyched that my nut croutons might be acceptable! 

It's only 30 days though. :) Nut croutons will be there waiting for you at the end! ;)

Archived