Non-cow Dairy?

purplepadres

Looking for anyone who has reintroduced non-cow dairy (goat, sheep) separately. I learned on my first round that I can't tolerate cow dairy at all. It was heartbreaking, but the digestive distress that it causes makes it a mostly "not worth it" food for me.  And I've tried doing only fermented dairy, and taking a lactase supplement, but still have issues, so it's more than a simple lactose intolerance problem. During my 2nd and 3rd rounds, I just completely skipped a dairy reintro, because I don't consume it anymore, but have become curious about whether I might tolerate goat and/or sheep products better. So, for my 4th round, I've added in a goat dairy day, so I can see how I do with goat cheese, and maybe some goat yogurt. Has anyone done this? What differences did you see?

I eat a bit of goats cheese as part of my food freedom. It's much lower in lactose than cheese from a cow, and the fat molecules are smaller which makes it easier to digest. It's also a better source of protein. That said I don't have a HUGE problem digesting diary from a cow so long as it's high fat - although it certainly effects my sleep quality & my breathing which the goats cheese doesn't seem to do.

Thanks, @jmcbn. I had severe IBS-D flares for years, which doctors just treated by pushing pills at me. No one ever said, "hey, maybe try cutting out dairy and see how you feel!" When I did my first Whole30, I found out the dairy was the culprit, and it's been mostly gone ever since. I do find that I can very occasionally eat a small amount of very high quality cheese (usually in a fine dining environment), but overall, the pain dairy causes is just not worth it. I'm hopeful that I might be able to tolerate the occasional goat cheese in my food freedom, so I guess I'll find out soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Just chiming in to say that goat cheese reintroduction was successful. I had no discomfort upon consumption of chevre and goat's milk cheddar. However, goat's milk ice cream was the bridge too far. Lots of gas. My poor SO! :lol: I'm excited at the prospect of a little bit of crumbled goat cheese in my FF!

Archived