Compliant sub for maple syrup in a recipe?

stormyhearted

A friend has highly recommended this recipe for brussels sprouts, which has apparently turned her into a brussels sprouts lover (previously she hated them, as do I). She says the maple syrup is essential for balancing out the brassica bitters, but obviously maple syrup is not W30 compliant. Any suggestions on what I could use as a substitute?

• Administrators

Brussels sprouts that are tossed in fat, salted and roasted at a high heat until done (like the recipe, leave space) are typically not bitter because the natural sugars are caramelising from the heat, no maple syrup required. The fact that the recipe calls these "candy" several times means that these are way sweeter than they need to be. 

Try a small amount of them roasted over high heat and see how you do.

I have a friend who also happens to swear by sprinkling a bit of white vinegar on her roasted sprouts which she says also mitigates any tiny amount of bitterness that is left over.

• Moderators
On 2/1/2018 at 5:04 PM, TryingOver said:

I use balsamic vinegar on my Brussels sprouts! I find it adds a hint of sweet and sour without being as sweet as syrup. 

I JUST did this last night... I had roasted fridge dregs (purple cabbage, kale, broccoli, brussels sprouts and a few questionable mushrooms and when I reheated some for dinner, I drizzled balsamic on them - SO GOOD!

Archived