Digestive Issues

I'm on day 9 of my first Whole30 and my digestion hasn't gotten any better. Before I started Whole30 I wasn't really eating any processed foods; maybe some 90% Dark Chocolate and Vans Gluten free waffles, but other than that nothing. I wasn't hardly eating any grains besides the waffles and maybe some quinoa once every two weeks. I've been dairy and gluten free for four months, the only legumes I would consume was peanuts (I love peanut butter), and I don't drink. 

I'm just as bloated, maybe even more bloated, as I was before I started. TMI warning: I've had problems in the past with undigested foods in my stool, but there's even more now that I've started eating like I am. I'm eating super clean and I don't know what could be causing all these digestive problems. It's so frustrating constantly being uncomfortable. Is it because of all the vegetables? Maybe all the meat (I wasn't a big meat eater before Whole30)? Low stomach acid? I'm starting to think maybe my body doesn't do too well with 3 large meals and maybe I'm better off with 5 small meals? I just don't know. 

What type of veggies are you eating? Are they raw or cooked? I know I can have problems with some types of vegetables if I eat too much of a certain kind or if I eat too many hardy greens raw instead of cooked. Are you eating enough fat and drinking enough water?

• Moderators

Some people who aren't used to eating meat do have trouble digesting it. Some people find that digestive enzymes can be helpful for that -- here's an article about them, it's  a few years old so I'm not sure the products mentioned are still compliant, but it gives you an idea of what to look for if you want to try that.  Probiotics might also be something to look into, here's an article about those.

It could be volume of vegetables, or the particular vegetables you're eating, but to really be able to give you feedback on that, we'd need to know more about what you're eating, so if you want to list a day or two of typical meals, including specific types of vegetables, and approximate portion sizes, we could see if anything stands out. In general, cooked vegetables are easier on the digestion than raw, and cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage are known for causing bloat in many people, so if you're eating a lot of raw vegetables or a lot of cruciferous vegetables, you might cut back on those for a while and see if that helps. Nuts and seeds can also cause issues for some people, especially if you eat a lot of them, so if you're having them often, you might try cutting them out for a while.

Another thing to pay attention to would be making sure you're drinking enough water -- aim for 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, so a 120 lb person needs at least 60 oz of water. 

My breakfast is usually the same everyday, I snack for lunch, and then I'll have a normal dinner. A typical day of eating looks like this:

B: Mini turkey meatballs (about 2 oz turkey breast) with sautéed sweet potato, red onion, red bell pepper, spinach, fresh basil, and 2 eggs.

L: I usually have a green smoothie with an avocado, strawberries, blackberries, and a bunch of spinach.

D: A protein (chicken breast or salmon) with roasted veggies and some olives. 

If I get hungry I'll snack on either carrots, cucumbers, fruit, or nuts. I know that smoothies aren't encouraged on Whole30, but I don't eat breakfast until noon (I don't get to bed until late, so I wake up later) and I'm never hungry for a full meal. I drink just slightly under a gallon of water everyday, so I don't think my water intake is the problem. I'm never hungry though; no matter what I eat I feel like my stomach doesn't empty. 

Archived