Six Months Plus and Still Working It!

Sister.Journey

Hello all, just wanted to catch up with some of the gals that started back in July of 2017. I'm still on the Whole 30 with some modifications following readmission of some foods that do not trigger allergic responses or cravings. I feel great. I look pretty darn good for 60 years old and the aches and pains I used to live with daily are gone. This is the best food freedom I've ever known. Oh, my weight? From 225 to 200 lbs. That may not sound like much, but 200 lbs looks good on me and I'm still losing. I eat plenty of good, wholesome foods on the Whole 30 plan. I still abstain from wheat [no bread or pasta] and most grains and sugar. These things, even in small doses seem to trigger bloating, discomfort and craving. I tried and let them go. I have added a little dairy back, milk in my coffee and an occasional plain yogurt -- being mindful of the sugar contents. Otherwise, I am health and happy and grateful that this food plan has helped me to lose weight and regain a sense of ease and comfort with my body since my thyroid crashed. Nothing worked over the last four years: not weight watchers, not a strict 1500 calorie per day diet, nothing until the Whole 30. Thank you all for your care and support during my July 4 journey and it continues!

mountain.tree.jpg

That is wonderful! I am going to try and implement these principles into my life with minimal changes. I know Gluten & Soy aggravate me. I will indulge when I like but I know the consequences and most of the time its just not worth it. My sleep is better, my energy is better, and I FEEL better when I eat this way. There are times when I will indulge but I know overall that a Whole30 lifestyle is best. I'm glad to hear you've found success and that it IS possible to adapt this lifestyle and stick with it. I'm going to try my best! I'm on day 19 of my second round. 

I am so inspired by your journey with Whole30. You sounds like you truly are experiencing food freedom! 

I have been eating a Whole30-ish diet for years and have experimented with adding things back into my diet but not realizing that they slowly start to become a problem. Like gluten free bread. I sometimes get a loaf that is Paleo so made with almonds and tapioca but next thing I know I am eating 2 slices with breakfast and then eating a small lunch of toast with avocado etc. It is always good to know that you can reset again by doing another Whole30. That is something I find really comforting about this lifestyle.

I wish you all the best for your journey!

Hadley

Thank you Calico and Hadley! So nice of you to leave your remarks for me. I'm thrilled to hear how you are each making your way through the Whole 30 life. I weighed myself today and I've lost another pound. Officially below 200 for the first time since I was diagnosed with hypothyroid! Whooooop! Hugs to you both for the journey. 

flying bird woman.jpg

Kudos to getting below that 200 mark! Doesn't it feel great? I'm on my 4th day of a slow roll re-intro after a Whole 60. I really needed the extra time for the good habits to become ingrained and feel like it's paying off in so many ways. I went from 212 to 192 and I can really feel the difference. It feels like my weight loss has really slowed down but I'm going to keep on keepin' on. I'm 57 and it's such a joy to walk and move without all of those annoying little aches and pains. Some of mine were becoming not-so-little so I really wanted to stop the weight gain and inflammation. Having to deal with thyroid issues adds a whole layer of difficulty for you, too. I hope your journey continues the way you envision. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on a similar journey and all of your comments inspire me.  I have question for you who have been on the Whole 30+ route... I am 52, on round 3 of Whole 30 which was to end Feb 6, I made the decision to make it a Whole 60 because of some stubborn health issues.  I am finding cravings much more challenging in this second 30 days - the first 30 seemed easy compared to the last several days where my mind is focused on all the things I can't eat rather than all the great things I am eating.  This is the exact opposite of the start of my round 3 and I thought, perhaps foolishly, that this would get better with time.   I am having so many NSV and want to start having some scale victories as this is part of my long term strategy for my personal wellness.  The cravings rearing their head deep into a Whole 60  has caught me off guard so would love to hear how your journeys have been and if you experienced anything similar.

• Hello Luvleelynnie, I'm sorry to hear about the cravings. I am so uncomfortable with cravings -- my big one is sugar. But I haven't had any cravings since I got off my #Whole30 in August. I followed the plan scrupulously, which means I didn't substitute regular bacon when it said I should eat only no sugar cured bacon, ham, etc. I did what they told me to, no questions asked. When I started reintroducing foods, I started with dairy, a little milk in my morning coffee. Wonderful!!! A month later, I had something with a little cheese on it. Okay, no problems. I eat a small amount of cheese occasionally, like once a month. I don't want to find myself bloated and with aching joints so I don't eat it. The other day, I had something with beans in it. Also no problems, but I'm not eating beans everyday. I had lentil soup the other day, no problem. I'm back eating 'regular' bacon and have so far not felt the sugar dragon rear up. So I'm okay for now with that. I ate something baked and sweet, a cupcake maybe? at Christmas time. I will never do that again. I did not wake up the cravings, but it felt oily and tasted awful. I haven't had a craving or an urge since. My partner got a basket full of home made chocolate chip cookies when he was recovering from hip surgery two weeks ago. I walk by them everyday -- sure I wanted to eat one the day they arrived, but I just don't want to live with obsession any more. So I walk on by. I love being able to sit down and eat good food and not have my life revolve around whether or not I'm going to have dessert. I don't fret anymore. I don't eat sweets of any kind and I don't eat wheat. I made one mistake and had some sort of noodles that were pasta like around a month ago -- I felt awful, stomach felt like a brick and it was as if I couldn't digest it fast enough to get it out. No pasta, no wheat, no bread for me and no sweets. The bacon doesn't bother me, I don't eat catsup or other condiments with sugar. I'm free! I'm right now making chili for my guy since I'm home today from work -- it has lots of ground beef and chopped tomatoes, some beans in it and a tiny bit of frozen corn because he likes it. It shouldn't bother me at all. I will let you know if it does! This is food freedom for me. I feel so blessed to have finally found a food plan that works and that I can experiment now and see what causes me to bloat and feel sick. I wish you all the best, keep asking questions and looking for support. You will find your way to food freedom too. If I can, anyone can!

fox.jpg

Archived