ground turkey texture

CScott

• Moderators

egg and almond flour?  Have you tried googling to cooking sites to see what they say?  I've never seen ground poultry be 'runny' before altho it is a bit waxier and much goopier than ground beef or pork... usually if you can shape it into the patties and then when you pan fry, don't mess around with them, just leave them and they'll firm up... 

The ground turkey I use is very loose and messy (from Costco, Plainville farms I think is the brand). I batch-make my turkey sausages and freeze the patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Once they're completely frozen, I pop them into a ziploc in the freezer and thaw one or two overnight for the next morning. But I do hate how messy the whole process is!

Yeah "goopier"  = 'runny' -It's an organic ground turkey by Butterball sold at Costco. I feel like the egg might make it even runnier, although not once you can get it to skillet and fry, then it would probably firm up. Then again in that case, may as well just deal with texture of it without the egg. I guess I could try or use the almond flour.. or again, just do my best to form and get it to the skillet. Ok, Thanks..

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, CScott said:

Yeah "goopier"  = 'runny' -It's an organic ground turkey by Butterball sold at Costco. I feel like the egg might make it even runnier, although not once you can get it to skillet and fry, then it would probably firm up. Then again in that case, may as well just deal with texture of it without the egg. I guess I could try or use the almond flour.. or again, just do my best to form and get it to the skillet. Ok, Thanks..

When my ground turkey is a bit too wet/smooshy, I add a tbsp of coconut flour. coconut flour absorbs moisture like crazy so you only need a bit. Mix it into the meat at the same time as your seasonings and then just let it "set" for a couple minutes. Firms it up no trouble for me.

You could also add canned pumpkin or mashed cooked sweet potato as that tends to spread the meat through a bit and isn't quite as sticky. Doesn't change the flavour and the end result stays nice and tender. About a baseball sized amount for 2# turkey.

Ok, so I actually trouble-shot or ended up solving my own issue with ground turkey for breakfast sausage... because my intention was actually to pre-cook and freeze, just to have on hand for quicker fix. So, I did not end up using any egg, almond or coconut flour to manage or dry out the consistency. I just prepared ground turkey straight, with following spices (salt, pepper, garlic powder, snipped some fresh herbs - rosemary, sage, thyme, and also added light dash of cinnamon too for a sweet, savory kinda thing) - mixed altogether. Then I just heated skillet, nice and hot with olive oil. Used an ice cream scoop and spatula to help me round out to about 1 tablespoon of the meat into the skillet, and just flattened the scoops to form a pattie with the spatula right in the skillet. And that, was pretty much that! No real fuss or mess -especially with the 2 utensils instead of hands! DUH -I know, right!? Good enough for me!

Archived